Coil Weights Table

A piece of information I value and often can't find (or can find, but sometimes unreliably) are coil weights.  I'm attaching a list I've assembled.  These weights include the cable and the coil cover (unless noted).  The uncertainty of the measurements is estimated at about 2 grams.

Coils that are made with the same name and nominal dimensions, but for different detectors, will likely have some difference in weight due to the number of windings and possibly other discrete components (e.g. resistors) inside.  But you can still get an idea of a weight if you find a coil you're interested in but it's listed for a different detector.  An example here is the Detech Ultimate which came in at 532 g for the Fisher F75 and 549 g (as measured by Phrunt) for the Fisher Gold Bug.  A more extreme case here is the "Digger" coil for the X-Terra series at 481 g and the same housing, cable, etc. of a prototype Gold Bug coil weight of 437 g.

Coil_weights2.pdf

• Like 5

14 hours ago, phrunt said:

Here is a few for your collection,...

I'll add those in tomorrow, thanks.  I also need to correct the size of the NF coil from 7x11 to 7x14.  Noticed a typo there.

Update:  File modification complete (see initial post in this thread).

You could use the bathroom scales to weigh the GPZ19" 'Dog'. Anyone know what it weighs?

• Haha 1

Heaviest coil i ever swung was the Coiltek 24" DD which weighed 1,840 grams. Even with the hipstick it got pretty uncomfortable after a few hours. According to Dave the 20" X-coil that i now have weighs 1670 grams. Will find out next week if its a back breaker.

• Like 1

Swinging big heavy prototype coils for years, mostly without the aid of a bungy cord has caused wrist, elbow, shoulder and back problems. These days I am most grateful for the light weight of the QED, as I can spend many hours per day without pain or fatigue, which GB has rightly stated as being the cause of imperfect performance.

• Like 1