Woody Detector Mods - Are These Legit or Bogus?

Watching his videos it sometimes looks fairly impressive. But his testing methods are limited to some weird coil inside a home lab and seem dubious. The EMI filter is tested outside and seems pretty effective, but many of the reviews I've found online are completely counter to what he shows in the video and generally seem to be ineffective.

I've never run into anyone in the US running one of his GPX mods but he told me he's done quite a few for guys here in the states. Is it totally bogus? Anyone out there actually paid for the mods and put some field time in with it? Anyone bought one of those EMI filters?

Always a touchy subject, mods, especially Woodys.

Earlier mods on the SD's done by others were brilliant in the early days, Johnson's, Robert's and later the Sakina being the most advanced. Then again a stock 2000 has it's admirers including me for outright depth.

Woodys mods are legit, and in no way bogus. They are however very theoretical and only produce improvement when set up on planted targets. Many, most, units modded by him become incapable of working actual ground, especially hot ground, that the original unmodded unit could handle. Very expensive to boot.

The real world is so different to theoretical testing. I'd steer clear of any unit modded by him, and the anti filter, and the cheap feeling badly made battery and amp set ups.

• Like 1

Yep, i haven't heard of too many positives with mod's in recent years despite the constant peddling of them, iv'e read of the filters being thrown in the bin because of no noticeable improvement, iv'e seen in the past independent people offering to compare a super dooper modded detector vs a standard one only for the modder to brush them aside and say they won't give an unbiased report.

One respected modder in Australia actually advises that modding a GPX is not needed.

http://www.minelabmods.com/joomla3/

http://www.minelabmods.com/joomla3/index.php/news/135-minelab-new-policy-think-twice-before-you-mod

I can't vouch for his mods but he did make a very good battery & true, completely wireless audio system the "Little Ripper" which is unfortunately no longer available. I can vouch for those - they were a top set up.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

without Woody's mods I would be missing ounces and ounces of gold, that I found from the same ground after having them done on my GP3500. Recently bought EMI filter and in 3 1/2 hours found dozens of targets directly below 22kv line including air gun pellets and 3 bits of gold, where without it I could find no more, because of noise caused by EMI. This time detector was absolutely quiet.My detector with mods is capable picking bits down to 0.05 g and they are not laying on the surface.I found this post by chance and have become a member, just to say this. I prefer detecting in the bush , rather than reading opinions of people, who have not got enough knowledge about subject .  George.

Woodys mods are nothing but trouble and hype.

Ismael is the guy you want to do any of your mods I have used a 2100 modded by Ismael and I ran his little ripper wireless system for years and years you can see it on my detector in our first vid on youtube.

In about 6 years of use of the little ripper none of the cells ever failed and it charged in about 1.5hrs versus 4hrs for the ML one and the ml one was lucky to last a year before a cell dropped.  

• Like 2

I don't modify minelabs I swear  :wacko:

Don't worry Woody

None of us think your him.

Yep, i haven't heard of too many positives with mod's in recent years despite the constant peddling of them, iv'e read of the filters being thrown in the bin because of no noticeable improvement, iv'e seen in the past independent people offering to compare a super dooper modded detector vs a standard one only for the modder to brush them aside and say they won't give an unbiased report.

Yes, I was one of them that put up my hand. Many people backed me up saying they will trust my opinion.