kiwijw

A Few More For The X Coil 10x9

awwww hell, looks like I won greenhorn of the month award.  JW needs to give me a good talking to punish.gif

When he said detect the bedrock I took that literally, detecting away merrily on the bedrock which fortunately has worked in the past.  Then I see this post and it shows he was targeting the grass growing in the bedrock, the very thing I was avoiding as it was long and annoying.  geek.gif

Maybe my tally might go up a bit next time now....

The drive out was fairly crazy, on the way in we hit the mud and the car slid out of control so I took it easy the rest of the way, on the way out things didn't go so well as it was a sleety rainy day so it got even worse.  It was starting to get dark too.... I'm no expert 4x4 driver, first time I'd needed to use the 4x4 button on the car.  drive.gifI was almost going to get JW to drive.

That's sure a decent wad of gold JW.  It appears NZ only has small gold as JW's cleaned up the big stuff already. :laugh:

Here was my score for the day, it was a real screamer too.

IMG_20190721_130004.jpg.d316d5e049446fbfb104bbd11b1be20b.jpg

IMG_20190722_100233.jpg.fcf57038a596a11cfcd2032f202a2850.jpg

and funny enough It appears I fluked it as it was in the grass off the edge of some bedrock, right under a prickly bush

IMG_20190721_130012.thumb.jpg.b708b9fee86b20cafe7e2efbf7ddf50b.jpg

:blush:

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, phrunt said:

When he said detect the bedrock I took that literally, detecting away merrily on the bedrock which fortunately has worked in the past.  Then I see this post and it shows he was targeting the grass growing in the bedrock, the very thing I was avoiding as it was long and annoying.  geek.gif

Just have a wee bit of a think about the cracks & drop off ledges in that sheet schist bedrock. What do the riffles in your sluice box do with gold?? Light bulb moment??:biggrin:

JW ?

• Oh my! 1

Another epic post JW....great narrative and pictures!

Phrunt...I think you are too literal and linier in your thinking...get out of the box. Remember the gold didn't know any rules when it fell in cracks or landed on a rock...

Being annoyed is part of the process, finding a bit of gold after enduring that is the reward.

fred

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fredmason said:

Remember the gold didn't know any rules when it fell in cracks or landed on a rock...

Gravity, friction, hydrodynamic force. :biggrin:

Every particle in the universe is a perfect calculator, constantly and instantly working out myriad laws and equations by simply existing and being part of the system. Linear thinking works pretty well as long as no steps are missing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kiwijw said:

I don't think the sheep are are allowed to graze in here any more. I said to Simon that if this is the case then detecting in here will get impossible as the grass really takes hold & makes it impossible to get the coil on to the ground & of course the grass loves the cracks & crevices where the roots can take hold in the deeper ground.

Can't you take a weedwacker with you?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, jasong said:

Gravity, friction, hydrodynamic force. :biggrin:

Every particle in the universe is a perfect calculator, constantly and instantly working out myriad laws and equations by simply existing and being part of the system. Linear thinking works pretty well as long as no steps are missing.

What is a partial or incomplete theory?

As Doc will say 'Every piece of gold has a story!'  I'll add that the theory now is that gold was formed in the big bang (or at least very early) and it has taken billions of years to get into a crack or crevice, a wash or river or lodged within quartz to be chipped out.

Some is still left to be found with a metal detector but as Simon noted, JW has gotten most of it.  ?

True, Jason however...we don’t know the whole story...some unscientific thinking and intuition can be helpful.

to each his or her own.

fred

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I'll add that the theory now is that gold was formed in the big bang (or at least very early)....

Not during the Big Bang, only Hydrogen, Helium, and Lithium (simplest three elements) were formed then.  I think what you're referring to is shown in the attached table from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-process#/media/File:Nucleosynthesis_periodic_table.svg

Gold (Au, atomic # 79) mostly originates from colliding neutron stars, which I suspect is why you say "the theory now..." since that is a pretty recent discovery:  In 2017, new data about the r-process was discovered when the LIGO and Virgo gravitational-wave observatories discovered a merger of two neutron stars ejecting r-process matter.[14]

origin_of_elements.png

3 hours ago, fredmason said:

True, Jason however...we don’t know the whole story...some unscientific thinking and intuition can be helpful.

to each his or her own.

fred

We certainly don`t nor ever will have the whole story. Go the full circle, forget the rules, the geology, the theories, they are mans...………..Tis where tis. 

On ya JW, may you continue to do ZXin good.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      I have ordered a new size X-coil, it's a 12x8" X-Coil,  It's already in the post however it's delayed in shipping due to international shipping delays the world over.  Hopefully this coil arrives soon. I am very excited about it as I think it will be the perfect size for NZ.
      It's even in NZ's black and white colours.

This should be good in our rocky terrain on small gold.

• By phrunt
      I haven't had a chance to go prospecting since our lock down ended a few weeks ago, once lock down ended I was busy catching up on everything that couldn't be done in lock down 🙂 NZ has done a stellar job in eradicating the virus so our lives are essentially back to normal now except for no International tourists which in our part of the country are a big part of our economy.  We haven't had any new cases in some time and there is now only one person left in the entire country that is in quarantine with the virus. 

The one case left is on the North Island, so no problem for me down the bottom of the South Island 🙂  Every morning lately has been a heavy frost so I was intending to do my gold hunt in the afternoon once the ground thaws out.

This was my yard before I left.  A bit chilly 🙂
      It was good to get out prospecting again, my wife and daughter wanted to tag along as they were going to ride their bikes along the cycle trails in the area so my day was limited, I only had a couple of hours.  We parked up and I walked to my usual spot and showed them where I'd be so they could come back and find me.  My first target was a shotgun pellet, damn it, I'd forgotten they existed, I had a hard enough time remembering how to use my detector it's been so long 🙂
      I was then walking across to the spot I wanted to have a snoop around and on my walk there I got a signal, it wasn't a booming target and it sounded too good to be a shotgun pellet.  I dug the surface away and the signal was still there, looking positive, it was at this point I took a quick video in case I was lucky enough that after only about 15 minutes I had my first nugget.
      I wasn't too sure on this one as the spot where it was located didn't really feel right, not the usual place we'd been finding gold around this spot so I turned the video off and started the recovery, possibly expecting a deep old bullet shell or something.    It was a really scrubby area too, lots of prickle bushes and old sticks everywhere.  In all of my excitement of my first find of the day I didn't even get a photo of the area, but the video shows it.  I had to dig a fair way down to get to my target, It was stuck in some layers of the rock which I had to smash out to get to it.

A decent size too! woohooo, what a start.  I like when they're big enough my Carrot narrows them down.

Just after I'd found the nugget I was rechecking the area and heard a bike pull up, it was JW, we hadn't seen each other in some time due to the lock down but he'd been coming to this spot again the last few weeks once lock down ended.  We had a chat then got stuck back into it, he went to his usual spot where he's been doing very well, and I went back exploring the side I've been attacking.
      No good targets for about 40 minutes now then in between some bedrock I had another nice sounding target that survived a few scrapes of the pick, always promising.

These small coils are just brilliant for our hunting grounds here, the smaller the coil the better, the small 10" X-coil has brought this old hunted out area back to life as you can get into all these little tight spots and it paid off again, the coil only just fit between these rocks too, there is still a lot of ground the 10" is too big for but it does get a majority of it.

I'm no photographer 🙂 but in the shadow in front of my coil is the dig hole, right between the two rocks.  A bigger coil would have missed this gold.

The bedrock is shallow here but I have done this ground with the Equinox a few times and missed this piece.  If you look hard you'll see the crack in the bedrock where it was.

And the nugget, typical sort of nugget for this area, all water worn looking smooth bits even though none of the rocks around the area are rounded water worn rocks.  
      A few more junk targets and my phone dinged, it was my wife saying shes done bike riding and was on her way back to collect me so I walked over to see how JW was doing.  I had heard him banging away at the rock for ages while I was detecting around so I assumed he'd done well.  When I arrived he was digging out a big hole in the bedrock cliff face, all the soil was out of the crack and he was breaking apart the rock with his screw driver and hammer. So far he had one bit of gold but another signal was in there, so we tried to use my Carrot to narrow it down, no luck so he kept smashing away.

He had created that big hole, the big bit of rock at the bottom of the photo was from the hole, the rest were thrown down the side off the cliff.

After smashing some more up and trying to find it he still had no luck so we tried the Carrot again,  this time it picked it up, real good. It sure helped speed up the recovery.

A big one too! Carrot detectable size again.  Unusual to get biggish ones and now we've both got one!
      He checked the hole again, and another signal

A tiny one!, Rechecked again...... another signal, unbelievable.  A lot more smashing out of the rock and out it pops

The hole was getting bigger and bigger

And more kept popping out.  My wife and daughter arrived on their bikes now to collect me so I called them over to see the hole that keeps giving, it still had a signal in it now that we were working on recovering, each target as needing more rock smashed out

This 10" Coil can really pick up some incredibly small nuggets.
      And they just kept coming, my family were watching on with interest.  More nuggets kept coming out then JW checked the soil and crumbled up rocks that came out of the hole and more signals, all over the place

Absolutely nuts, what a hole!

All from that one hole,all were in the rock needing smashed out.  I had a ball helping with that recovery, 13 nuggets.  JW said yesterday he found a similar hole on the same cliff face with 10 pieces in it.

And my total, sorry for the glary photo, was taken at night once I got home, and the houses LED lights mess up photos.  0.865 grams for 2 nuggets, 0.76 of that is the big one.
      I really love the small GPZ X-coils, I can not wait for my 12x8" X-coil to arrive as it may get into the spots the 10" coil can't.
    • By phrunt
      There has been a lot of  talk lately about gold being found on or off bedrock, I've personally done well finding gold in soil, even my biggest bit to date has been in soil.  JW found this little soil ridge well up above bedrock, it's soil all the way to ground level 50 to 100 feet below along the top of the ridge, as you go down the sides of it the gold disappeared, oddly right at the top of this ridge has been a very productive spot for gold for us both.  We did a number of posts about it at the time last summer when we were going there on the bike ride of death along a little track with a big drop.
      Today I was given a couple of videos of more gold being found and again the gold was in soil so I thought I'd show you the videos.  Gold is where you find it 🙂 Rules don't seem to apply.
      These two videos are the 10" X-coil and filmed yesterday.
      This sort of thing is familiar to me, this is often how I have found gold, just in soil and oddly most of my biggest bits have been found the same way which I've often posted about in the past and they've been in spots hammered by everyone around here, so the likely reason I found them is nobody bothered to detect the soft loamy soil areas instead targeting mostly the bedrock.

Here is the photo for the total of the day

• By phrunt
      I was sent some photos overnight of some incredible finds with the GPX and an X-coil that forum member Elijah found.  I thought I'd put the photos up for people to see as they're pretty incredible, I really love the old coin, imagine the history that goes with an old coin like that, I can't even imagine how old it must be  It must have been a very wealthy person that lost it.  I would love to detect in locations that have ancient coins like this.  It looks like they just take a big nugget and stamp an image on it.

It looks like a bird of some sort?

And check out it's weight!!!!

That coins heavy! I wonder what you could buy with it when it was used as currency.
      He also found this, I'm not sure what it could be, any ideas?  It's likely to be very ancient too.

• By phrunt
      X-coils have made an absolute Monster of a coil for the GPZ 7000.    It was only a month or so ago the 26" X-coil was released for the GPX/QED, now a 25" has been made for the GPZ. 
      These coils were designed for Russia as they have a lot of big deep gold as well as old golden relics and coins.
      The new X-coil 25" GPZ coil is bundle wound like traditional Minelab coils and weighs less than the genuine Minelab GPZ 19" Coil at 1800 grams including skid plate.

I am betting this would find some bigger deeper gold missed in Australia 🙂