kiwijw

A Few More For The X Coil 10x9

awwww hell, looks like I won greenhorn of the month award.  JW needs to give me a good talking to punish.gif

When he said detect the bedrock I took that literally, detecting away merrily on the bedrock which fortunately has worked in the past.  Then I see this post and it shows he was targeting the grass growing in the bedrock, the very thing I was avoiding as it was long and annoying.  geek.gif

Maybe my tally might go up a bit next time now....

The drive out was fairly crazy, on the way in we hit the mud and the car slid out of control so I took it easy the rest of the way, on the way out things didn't go so well as it was a sleety rainy day so it got even worse.  It was starting to get dark too.... I'm no expert 4x4 driver, first time I'd needed to use the 4x4 button on the car.  drive.gifI was almost going to get JW to drive.

That's sure a decent wad of gold JW.  It appears NZ only has small gold as JW's cleaned up the big stuff already. :laugh:

Here was my score for the day, it was a real screamer too.

IMG_20190721_130004.jpg.d316d5e049446fbfb104bbd11b1be20b.jpg

IMG_20190722_100233.jpg.fcf57038a596a11cfcd2032f202a2850.jpg

and funny enough It appears I fluked it as it was in the grass off the edge of some bedrock, right under a prickly bush

IMG_20190721_130012.thumb.jpg.b708b9fee86b20cafe7e2efbf7ddf50b.jpg

:blush:

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, phrunt said:

When he said detect the bedrock I took that literally, detecting away merrily on the bedrock which fortunately has worked in the past.  Then I see this post and it shows he was targeting the grass growing in the bedrock, the very thing I was avoiding as it was long and annoying.  geek.gif

Just have a wee bit of a think about the cracks & drop off ledges in that sheet schist bedrock. What do the riffles in your sluice box do with gold?? Light bulb moment??:biggrin:

JW ?

• Oh my! 1

Another epic post JW....great narrative and pictures!

Phrunt...I think you are too literal and linier in your thinking...get out of the box. Remember the gold didn't know any rules when it fell in cracks or landed on a rock...

Being annoyed is part of the process, finding a bit of gold after enduring that is the reward.

fred

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fredmason said:

Remember the gold didn't know any rules when it fell in cracks or landed on a rock...

Gravity, friction, hydrodynamic force. :biggrin:

Every particle in the universe is a perfect calculator, constantly and instantly working out myriad laws and equations by simply existing and being part of the system. Linear thinking works pretty well as long as no steps are missing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kiwijw said:

I don't think the sheep are are allowed to graze in here any more. I said to Simon that if this is the case then detecting in here will get impossible as the grass really takes hold & makes it impossible to get the coil on to the ground & of course the grass loves the cracks & crevices where the roots can take hold in the deeper ground.

Can't you take a weedwacker with you?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, jasong said:

Gravity, friction, hydrodynamic force. :biggrin:

Every particle in the universe is a perfect calculator, constantly and instantly working out myriad laws and equations by simply existing and being part of the system. Linear thinking works pretty well as long as no steps are missing.

What is a partial or incomplete theory?

As Doc will say 'Every piece of gold has a story!'  I'll add that the theory now is that gold was formed in the big bang (or at least very early) and it has taken billions of years to get into a crack or crevice, a wash or river or lodged within quartz to be chipped out.

Some is still left to be found with a metal detector but as Simon noted, JW has gotten most of it.  ?

True, Jason however...we don’t know the whole story...some unscientific thinking and intuition can be helpful.

to each his or her own.

fred

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I'll add that the theory now is that gold was formed in the big bang (or at least very early)....

Not during the Big Bang, only Hydrogen, Helium, and Lithium (simplest three elements) were formed then.  I think what you're referring to is shown in the attached table from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-process#/media/File:Nucleosynthesis_periodic_table.svg

Gold (Au, atomic # 79) mostly originates from colliding neutron stars, which I suspect is why you say "the theory now..." since that is a pretty recent discovery:  In 2017, new data about the r-process was discovered when the LIGO and Virgo gravitational-wave observatories discovered a merger of two neutron stars ejecting r-process matter.[14]

origin_of_elements.png

3 hours ago, fredmason said:

True, Jason however...we don’t know the whole story...some unscientific thinking and intuition can be helpful.

to each his or her own.

fred

We certainly don`t nor ever will have the whole story. Go the full circle, forget the rules, the geology, the theories, they are mans...………..Tis where tis. 

On ya JW, may you continue to do ZXin good.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Norvic
      I have just come out of a magic winter season with the 10,12,15 X coils, I have not used my ML14 or 19 since putting them on. The X coils have made the Magic GPZ7000 a super magic detector. No teething problems, make patch lead, fit and dig gold. How good is that??? Can only say it doesn`t get any better...……...or does it. What will the X coils evolve into ????????? 
      I have no connection to X coil, or to Davsgold except as a customer, top coils, top service and express freight.
    • By phrunt
      A package I've been very much looking forward to arrived in the mail today, I call them the twins.  It made sense to package them both in one package for postage reasons and fortunately JW was working doing some renovations at his house around the corner from mine today so he had his a few minutes after the courier arrived at my place with the package as I shot straight over to give it to him. 
      I tore the box open to find them extremely well packaged

And now the twins

15x10 spiral wound X-coils, one for the GPZ, one for the GPX.  The GPZ's coils curly cord seems good to me.

They came with a spare coil cover.  This is obviously the GPZ coil.

And the GPX one.
      Hopefully I can find some gold soon with it, I've on a dry spell at the moment, although the football field of coins has kept me busy.  It's been about a month since I've attempted to find gold as my weekends are filled with skiing as my daughter is addicted to it and my week days have been busy doing the local coin hunting, now this coil has arrived I best get out there soon.  It snowed yesterday and today there is a freezing wind blowing off the snow, if it wasn't for that I'd be shooting off now to test it out.  Only about 2 weeks left of ski season.
      JW's been doing pretty well lately with his 10x9" X-coil and he rarely takes it off he loves it so much so it will be interesting to see how he goes with this new one being spiral (flat wound) when his 10x9" is bundle wound. 
    • By Condor
      I got my GPZ back from Minelab last month, which included a new 14" coil and lower rod.  Only $3600.00 AUD lighter in my wallet.  As you may recall, I bricked the detector after the Patch Lead was defective.  It's still crazy hot here in Sunny Yuma, but I was bored and still curious about the X-Coil, so I shook off my concerns and cut the connector off my brand new coil and built the Patch Lead myself.  I was extra careful with the heat from the soldering iron and did a respectable job of putting together the connection.  I did a few practice runs on scrap wire and connectors so I was a little more confident of my skill. 
      I got out 5 mornings last week for a total of about 12 hrs run time.  At sunup the morning temps were still in the high 80's and jumping to 100 by 9:00am.  Unbearable in the desert washes with no breeze.  The one thing that saved me was the synthetic chamois cooling cloths, one around my neck and one under my cap hanging down my neck. 
      The first morning I did a complete set-up with the detector since it was, for all practical purposes, a brand new machine with all new printed circuits etc.  I waved the 17" X-Coil over the ferrite and got the machine nearly silent, though still reacting some to the ferrite.  I started in the area where I found the 28 gram rippa last May.  This area has a fairly hot layer of clay about 12" under the overburden.  Last May we were able to run this zone using HY, Normal, Sens 12,  (Threshold 27) with the Patch Search mode to quiet down the machine.  The 17" X-Coil in those same settings was way too sensitive, so I had to switch to Difficult to quiet it down.  Because I knew I could only be out for a couple hrs, I focused on trying to get that coil over gold hoping to then play with the settings.  No joy the first morning.
      The next morning I went out to an area that had produced half a dozen 1 grammers when the GPZ first came out.  I knew it was deeper and a little quieter ground.  We tried Paul's 19" GPZ here when it first came out to no avail.  This time I was able to zero out the Ferrite and switch back to Normal from the Difficult setting.  The machine was still a little twitchy so I backed off the Threshold to 22 and got it humming along nicely.  I gridded the area pretty good and came up with a few deep trash targets and then, right as it started to get unbearable hot, I got a faint, sweet rising tone. A lot of digging and sweating produced a sweet 4 grammer right on the hardpack, about 14 inches down.  Now a 4 grammer at 14 inches should be well within the range of the GPZ and standard 14" coil, but I've been over that zone at least 6 times over the past 3 years.  The only significant difference is the ground is bone dry this year.  Last year there were still pools of water from late season rains.  
      The next morning I was back to the area of the 28 grammer.  I found that the machine was more stable and I could run in Gen, Normal, Sens 14.  I got a couple deep trash targets and chased a number of hot ground seams and hot rocks.  The settings were really sensitive to hot ground, but in my mind that's the only way to find good missed targets.  Right at the end of the morning I got what sounded like another bit of hot ground.  I switched to High Yield from General and it brightened up the target, but still hadn't convinced me that it was gold.  The target was in the sidewall of a drywasher's hole, so the 17" coil was pretty awkward.  I dug out the ground so that I could get the coil level and the target brightened up a little more.  By then I had hit the hardpack which tends to hide these small, reddish hotrocks.  I dug dozens in this same area, but I needed to check this coil's capabilities.  The hardpack was brutal in the morning sun so I had to go back to the truck and get my handy Aussie (DavesGold) made pick.  I'm not going out without it now.  About 8 inches into the hardpack out popped a nice 1.5 grammer.  I can guarantee I  stuck the GPZ standard coil in the hole a half a dozen times over the past 2 years.  
      Thur morning I got out in the same area.  I chose a wash that a produced 5 small nuggets, in the sub-sub gram range, in May.  I concentrated on the deepest gravels thinking deeper nuggets must be in there, just beyond the reach of the 14" coil.  I gridded the zone where a bench had formed on the inside bend of the wash.  I went at it from every angle and was about to surrender to the heat when I got the faintest of faint tones.  Again I switched to High Yield and it brightened up some.  I switched to Difficult, nothing.  I started pulling down the bank so that I could get a good level swing with the 17" coil.  Slightly improved tone, still unconvincing.  I pulled down another few inches and got a much improved tone.  I switched to Difficult and got a dull growl, more convincing yet.  After much digging into the hardpack out came a nice 1.8 grammer.   I even photographed the hole for this one.  The Aussie pick is 28" long.
      I'm really starting to like this coil.  It's light enough for all day use with the addition of my homemade hipstick.    I run the hipstick to the bottom of the frame in my lightweight framepack, which moves the weight to the back of the hipbelt and off my shoulder.  I'm also running the SteelPhase amp plugged directly into the GPZ, no wireless connection between.  As per some of JP's guidance, I'm running the GPZ volume at 2, adjusting loudness at the amp.  I'm running the Threshold between 20 and 22 depending on how twitchy the ground is.  For the most part I'm running General instead of High Yield trying to reach those deeper targets.   The first 2 targets were well within the reach of the standard 14" coil, but somehow I didn't find them over the past 2 years.   The last one, doubtful for the standard coil.  As the weather cools I'll start doing a quick change to the 14" coil over new targets for a comparison.   Right now, it's still to friggin hot to bother. 

• By phrunt
      I always wondered if there was even gold around where the X-coil manufacturer lives, I didn't know much about Russian gold or if Russia even had much gold.
      Here is a video broken into parts of the Russian manufacturer showing the different capabilities of the 17x12" X-Coil between the Standard GPZ14” Minelab coil being used near high voltage power lines in Russia.
      It's good to see he is a prospector.
      Sorry about the quality of some of the parts. 
      It's a deep hole he has to dig to get it, nice soft soil though... that'd make life easier than using a jackhammer 🙂

• By IronDigger
      A lot  been said about these x coils when it comes to the zed...but in the beginning there was mention of new improved depth with x coils for the gpx users. As  a gpx user and I am probably speaking for many...any news on the performance and availability of these coils. I know I am not letting go of my 4500 anytime soon...
    • By davsgold
      Note from website admin/owner - this thread and related X Coil threads are for informational purposes only. This website and I personally do not recommend taking any actions that may damage a GPZ 7000 and cause considerable expense if done improperly or for any other reason. A blown GPZ board can cost thousands of dollars to repair and it will be on the owner for circumventing Minelabs protections put in place just to avoid such circumstances. I have nothing against any of these folks and am hosting this information in the spirit of doing just that - sharing information that may benefit some. There are significant risks however and I feel I am not remiss were I not to post this note  And so there you have it.

The manufacture of the X-Coils has made a series of short videos of making a patch lead, I don't have much data for uploads, so it maybe sometime before that all get uploaded, there are some pictures as well.  There are no speaking words so no use turning up the sound.
      He has Rosin/Flux in the dish that he dips the wires into and then applies heat with the soldering iron to remove the red varnish and other oxides, and then applies some solder to each set of wires.
      Here is the first video.
      This shows the extra shield wire attached to the blue wire

Small heat shrink tube placed over this instead of the cotton the hold into place

Ready for some hot glue

The finished patch lead, he wraps tape around for extra strength and stiffens up the patch lead