Arizona Nugget Hunt With Equinox 800 & 6” Coil

9 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Bill is a great prospector with a detector and super friendly. Boy, he loves the desert. I like to watch his videos for his prospecting tips and nature narratives too.

He was in Gold 1 with a little low end discrimination from what he said (probably -9, -8, and -7 for some of the hot rocks) with sensitivity on 18 and he was using tracking ground balance.  On shallow sedimentary and volcanic bedrock which is intermingled, tracking ground balance is a good idea. The 6" coil in Gold 1 and Gold 2 multi is a beast!!!!

Jeff

Jeff,

Checking the 'stock' setting for Gold 1 the Accept/Reject is -9 to 0 for reject.  To me that means when you turn it on in discriminate you are not going to hear anything below 0.  When I and several other users leave the settings here the sound of 0,1,2 is muffled.  If you modify the 'stock' settings and accept -1. -2, -3, -4, -5 and -6 then you are left with -7, -8 and -9 rejected.  Is this what was done?

Mitchel

Hi Mitchel,

I do not know exactly what Bill did. I am going by what he said in the video, from talking with him about how to use the Nox 800 and from experience there.

Yes.

There are different hot/cold rocks at the Little San Domingo Wash. Sometimes an area can be just about cleared of them and you can go with no discrimination by hunting with the horseshoe button engaged. Other places there you have to pick through a lot of the half-dollar sized and smaller hot rocks which are all over the surface and down a few inches. Starting with stock Gold 1 and accepting everything except -9, -8 and -7 takes care of a lot of them along with the general ground mineralization noise that can be a bear at this site. Then you just have to deal with the ones that hit in the mid teens and wrap around at +39 and +40 any way you can. I just dig them and/or move them out of the way.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Nice instructive vid -- always like it when settings, sounds, and TID's are included.  I particularly appreciate Bill's respect for the natural wildlife, including the snakes.  How many people would go out of their way to avoid filling in a rodent's burrow?

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 2:23 PM, Nugget Shooter said:

I am actually now falling in love with this little beast and trying to learn all it many secrets so all input is very welcome!

I got hooked on Equinox myself Bill because it is deceptively simple on one level, but as you work with it more and more magic is revealed. Multi-IQ packs serious punch on gold, and there is a box full of tuning tricks at your disposal. Every mode has a potential gold application, like Beach Mode for a salt flat. I truly believe that for certain people who can learn how to apply what Equinox has to offer that it is a very capable gold machine.

I have to think you have seen my article but just in case....

• 5 weeks later...