Sign in to follow this  
Cal_Cobra

Last Few Equinox Hunts....

I haven't been getting out nearly as much as I'd like to, but I did get to hit an old hammered spot in Alameda when I had some business there and managed to dig these.  I was happy with it considering last few times with other machines I was lucky to get a single wheat cent.  For some odd reason silver war nickles from this site always have a crust over them, it comes off with a toothpick, it's odd never had that occurrence elsewhere:
IMG_0283sm.thumb.jpg.bc1ea42a7ae1b4af4fc4fe4ad388fd38.jpg

IMG_0284sm.thumb.jpg.8887d6a5fe3d2be2f050df95a9c3dd52.jpg

These next pictures are the better coins I dug from a little scrape project.  Some really nice finds have come from it, including gold rush era buckles and seateds, but it's been mostly mercs for me - lol

IMG_E0252.thumb.JPG.f9ff6f15459c150e6aab4d2fea373667.JPG

IMG_0279.thumb.JPG.82176fc7f69b6112bd0632a6a6f8f3d6.JPG

GL&HH
Cal

• Like 9

Looks like business travel has been good for you. To bad ?they're mostly Merc's. (my second favorite coin). Which coil you been using?

4 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

Looks like business travel has been good for you. To bad ?they're mostly Merc's. (my second favorite coin). Which coil you been using?

Hey Tom,

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy finding Merc's but given the oldies that have come from this scrape, including believe it or not a cob, I'd like to get in on the older stuff ? The first two group of coins were with the stock 11" coil, the last group of coins, I was fighting EMI right out of the gate and switch over to my 6" coil.  Interestingly out of the four hunters there yesterday, I had the highest silver coin count by over double!  The 6" coil is no slouch, although when you first strap it on and start detecting and your buddies are swinging the 11" coil, psychologically you fell like their going to do better, but that wasn't the case yesterday.  They keep moving dirt around this site, so you just never know what you'll get, but there's been some epic gold rush era buckles found.  One of the guys found a super rare fire pumper eagle buckle, according to the buckle book there's only five known to exist. 

Looks like you have done really well with what you have found. I am trying to learn my new unit and have only found junk and pull tabs.

• Like 1

Good finds Cal! 

• Like 1

NICE digs, Cal!

Steve

• Like 1

Yea way to go there Cal...I seen Toms post on the other forum..you guys are doing well.

strick

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Gerry in Idaho
      Most of you do not know the history of metal detecting and my family.  We go back to the early 1970's, my dad, uncle, 1 cousin and I all were pretty avid TH'ers back then.  In the 80's and 90's we took it to a new level and started concentrating more on older sites and doing research.  Our old coin finds were better with a few Barbers and Seated Liberty silvers.  The gold coin had still eluded us for all those yrs.  We knew it was just a matter of time.  Anyway about 20 yrs ago, my little brother started getting serious with detectors and making some nice finds.  It was about 20 years ago when the McMullen clan broke the gold coin barrier (it was me) with an 1852 $2.50 piece found in OR.  Then about 10 years ago on 4th of July I was greedy and hit another (my 2nd) GC of the clan.  My relatives and family started getting a little jealous and well deserving.  Especially my little brother who happened to be on that trip with me when I hit #2, It was a 1902 $5 found here in Idaho.
      Well last week I was with my brother in OR and his Equinox put a smile on his face in more ways than 1.
      Not only did he find a gold coin, but also a Barber and Seated Liberty Half.  Me, I managed to find a clad dime, which is the 1st modern coin that I know of to come from this site.  He does not do much with forums, but did say I could mention them and share the pics.  I wanted to let him have his glory and then after a few days I'd share.
      Here is his 1839 $5, 1907 Barber Half and 1877 Seated Half.  And you know what?  I honestly was a little jealous for about a minute and then I realize his tears were real.  I then became the proud big brother of another gold coin find for the McMullen clan.  I'm so proud of this guy for continuing to go and just keeps on swinging.  Now that I think back, it was meant to be and I was able to be there and share the precious moment with him.

• By Tometusns
      Got these Fri. yard hunting.

• By 2Valen
      Today I finally had a chance to get out of the house for some much needed detecting. I decided to go to an old church just down the road that has been around since 1859.
      Seems that nobody has been there before as I found almost $3.78 in new coins. I had dug almost a pound of trash before finding anything before 1975.
      I then tried closer to the foundation where there was a ton of roofing nails and then I had a solid 34 tone that was down deep. I'm not talking 6 inches but it was almost 11 inches down when I found it.
      There at the bottom of the hole was a beautiful silver quarter, not just any quarter but a 1926 and it looks just fine to me even with the wear on it.
      After going a little further down the wall and another hundred nails, I found a very nice Indian Head penny in great condition. This IH is in better shape than the 1889 that I had found in my back yard several months ago and is the older brother of it as it is a 1877.
      For the 2 and a half hours I was out there I think that I had done enough for the day as I was getting to cold because of the wind.
      I hope you enjoy the picture of my new coins for my collection.
    • By dogodog
      I just got back from a short 2 hour hunt on a 1830's property and found the usual clad, pull tabs, brass and a wheel weight. BUT I found an odd dime sized  silver coin. It looks like its dated 1885  all inscriptions are unreadable except the date. It has a roman numeral three with a wreath around it and a woman with some kind of armor head plate. This is a coin I've never found before, Any clue???

• By Cal_Cobra
      Saying I had an epic weekend would be an understatement! I loaded the latest Equinox firmware update to try the new FE2/0 iron program, and it did not disappoint!

I've posted about trip reports from this site several times over the years. It's always been a fun site IMO, you just never know what you'll dig, and it dates back to the early 1800's with history into the 20th century. It saw it's share of the Spanish, Mexicans, Emigrants, and Americans. It's getting difficult, lots of flat iron still left, but good finds have been thinning out, easy finds have been gone for years. TomCA won't even hunt there any more.

This trip turned out to be absolutely EPIC! Unbelievable really, because there have been trips where neither Tom nor I have dug a single coin at this site, so to dig five period coins in one trip was astounding.

Now if these were just five common 1800's coins, I would've left there an extremely happy camper, but two out of the five turned out to be astounding finds!

An 1865-S Seated Liberty Dime AND a 1856-S INDIAN PRINCESS $1 GOLD PIECE!!! I am absolutely over the moon from this hunt!

I got all the coins on video, if you have a chance, take a look:

Without further ado:

Right after she was dug and I just ran some bottled water over her in the field:

Thanks for looking!!

GL&HH,
      Cal <<<<<<<< THE ORIGINAL CAL
    • By Gerry in Idaho
      Back from my MX Trip and wanting to get caught up with some readings and now posts.
      Approx 20 yrs ago I was detecting an old mining camp for coins/relics & found my 1st gold coin ever (only took 25 yrs of detecting). 1852 quarter eagle = $2.50 piece.
      Fast forward to last weekend, my customer Steve M is less than a mile from where my coin was found & he does this. What's even more thrilling, is he found it with a GPX-5000 while looking for gold nuggets.   And...his is much better condition too.  1st two pics are his and the others of the worn out one, of course is mine.  It is the exact same date and size of coin I found 20 yrs ago.  I guess it is sometimes ok to find the wrong kind of gold.  Anyone else have such unexpected digs when prospecting?