I was wondering if the aftermarket coils were that much better than the Minelab, i.e Coiltek.

I'm very hesitant to go Coiltek because the GPX was designed to use only Minelab coils?

My fear is i don't want to hurt my GPX 5000 in the long term by putting a coil on it that Minelab doesn't like?

It seems like everyone with a GPX is using a aftermarket coil. I especially like the Coiltek 9" Elite

I'f you were me would you get a Coiltek coil?

Coiltek and Nuggetfinder have both been making compatible coils for Minelabs, a long time. That said you may have a warranty issue if you get a very rare defective coil...it does happen.

Minelab coils are often underrated...they are as good as any in my opinion....

I suggest you use the mono and dd coils that came with the detector, learn the machine, read the manual...

and then you too can buy 15 different coils...just teasing, I have been there

fred

There is absolutely no reason not to use Coiltek or Nugget Finder coils on your GPX. In fact I would say limiting yourself to only Minelab coils would be avoiding some of the newest and best coils for the GPX. Minelab stopped making new Commander models years ago. Commander (Minelab) coils are generally underrated in my opinion also, but do not take advantage of some new innovations in coil design that have come about in the last few years. A lot of people think very highly of the Coiltek Elite coils.

• Like 4

Apparently, I am outdated...what are the Coils made by Minelab called? 

Phrunt, I never said it was likely. But non-stock coils on a machine with a warrenty can/do and will create problems-no matter how rare.

I realize there are many new coils available but I will maintain that no beginner needs to buy extra coils until they have learned their new machine.

However, if buying more coils is what he wants-buy, buy, buy...the dealers will love it. They certainly got plenty of my money. And I found gold with every coil I ever bought. Did I need them, no...but, I did want them, so, I got them!

just my opinion

fred

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Minelab Commander Coils

Click the image below for larger view.

I really like the 15 x 12 Minelab coils but where you really do need to go aftermarket is the big coils. I would never swing an 18” Commander coil when I could be using a much lighter aftermarket coil. The Minelab coils are very good, but they are also heavy.

I generally agree with you though Fred. People go chasing off after coils way to soon in a lot of cases when simply mastering what they have would be more productive.

79FB6748-B92B-45A0-A98D-763BC72E408F.jpeg

Minelab Commander Coils For GPX Series Detectors (work with GP and SD series also)

• Like 3

Thank you everyone :)

I will stick to the Minelab 8'inch for awhile. But i was also thinking of ordering a Coiltek Elite 9"inch so i'll have it for the future just in case the coils become unavailable.

• Like 1

GPX failures due to coils are almost non-existent anyway. A coil may not perform well but it's not like a GPZ where things actually fry. The SD/GP/GPX is very forgiving in that regard, which is why there is close to 200 coils been made for them over the years.

• Like 1

No worries Simon 

like the geography and astronomy I learned, my information is outdated..

As an example,.2010 on tour with Mark Hyde a customer had a detector go bad. Then another went bad, these were not stock coils. He wanted to use his coils but Marks machine. Mark would not let him use that coil again...

so, like great white attacks it can happen. Also, when you send the machine in they generally want the coil too...

I have never had problems with NF, or Coiltek

56 minutes ago, fredmason said:

like the geography and astronomy I learned, my information is outdated..

Don't beat yourself up, Fred.  I am (or at least 'was') a professional astrophysicist and frequenty find my knowledge has been superceded with recent discoveries.  That's a good thing for the field so I consider it a win-win when I find out my (old) ideas need correction.  It sometimes seems civilization is going backwards, but when it comes to real science (not pseudo-science nor "fake news", real, perceived, or smokescreened) we are always gaining as long as we keep things in perspective, with humility, and with an open mind.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By schoolofhardNox
      My second hunt this past week was at my favorite EMI beach. Besides getting a new scoop I also decided to try a Coiltek 14" anti-interference coil for my GPX. I need every advantage when hunting this beach, so I decided to give it a go. I was hoping I could still use the coin/relic setting with this coil as it is the deepest, but it was not going to happen. So I changed timings and it worked well. Now all that was left was to see how much depth I lost. Honestly, at first I did not like the coil since I really wanted the most depth I could get, as the coins tend to be deep. But I kept at it and eventually did get 2 silvers that were around 12" deep. Not bad, but a bit short of the depth I wanted. Then something strange happened. I got another deep sounding signal and dug down around 12". Still no target with the pinpointer, so I scraped another 2 inches out, and finally I heard the target, I carefully removed 1 more inch and I flipped out a small copper ring. I measured the hole and it was 15". I couldn't believe I heard that ring that deep. I'm pretty careful with my measuring and I saw the ring flip over when I was pulling sand away, so I'm confident that it was not falling back into the hole. I use a spade to get the bulk of the sand away and then use my hand to finish finding the target. Although it's just a junk ring, I like the enamel design that the 40's through 50's era produces. I've found a couple religious medals before and they were enameled the same way. A couple more trinkets and lots of junk I didn't photograph, and that was it. I'm always happy to get any silver at this beach, so 2 silvers this time of year is a good hunt for me. Just happy to get out twice in one week.

• By Steve Herschbach
      This video goes over each of the controls and initial setup for the new GPX 6000. It's in English so no translation required. My thanks to Luis for posting this video on the other thread. 
      Minelab GPX 6000 Data & Reviews

Minelab GPX 6000 Controls (see chart below for control ranges)

• By Rob Allison
      Hello All,
         Had a great time testing the new Nugget Finder "Z Search" Searchcoil today on a wash I haven't hunted in some time.  This small coil for the GPZ 7000 is much lighter, more sensitive and easier to pinpoint small targets with.  I was super impressed with the new coil, wish I had a few dozen in stock.  I also love the fact you don't have to modify anything, just mount and plug in like a stock GPZ coil.  
      I have already had 3 customers burn up their $8000 GPZ 7000 by making some wiring mistakes on adapters for aftermarket coils.  In my opinion, I don't recommend anyone voiding a warranty or sacrificing a $8000 metal detector if you make a mistake.  
      Pictured below are nuggets found today with the new coil here in Arizona.  The coil comes with a lower shaft, mounting hardware and skidplate.  

• By Rob Allison
      Hello All,
         Well, here we go all, going to test the new Nugget Finder "Z Search" Searchcoil for the Minelab GPZ 7000 metal detector.  The coil is super light, well built and includes a lower shaft.  This coil will plug right in, no modifications needed.  I will be carrying these coils once they become available from NF.  I don't have a solid MAP price yet and already have a good amount of pre-orders and pre-down payments to hold some of the first ones in the US to be sold to the public.  
      I know this is going to be a solid searchcoil for the GPZ 7000.  I'm super excited to test the new "Z Search" out.  Thanks Nugget Finder! 
      Pictures below -

• By Steve Herschbach
      Back in July we were speculating on a new Minelab trademark filing for Geo Sense PI. Looks like now we have an inkling what that was about and that it is related to the upcoming GPX 6000 model. Here are a couple tidbits gleaned from the full Codan 2020 Annual Report:
      JANUARY 2021 UPDATE - Minelab GPX 6000 Revealed!
      page 6: "Minelab will soon release an exciting new GPX® gold detector which will draw upon the best features of the GPX 5000™ and SDC 2300®."
      page 14: "Minelab will soon release a new GPX® detector which introduces an ease of use technology, GeoSense Pulse Induction, and will sit within the premium end of our gold detector product portfolio."
      Minelab GPX 6000 Data & Reviews

• By Steve Herschbach
      As revealed in this thread the new Minelab GPX 6000 has been submitted to the FCC website for Bluetooth compliance testing. The pdf file showing the label location offers up the picture below as a teaser.
      JANUARY 2021 UPDATE - Minelab GPX 6000 Revealed!
      From the Confidentiality Letter:
      "We are requesting the commission to grant short-term confidentiality request on the following attachments until 19 October 2020. External Photos, Internal Photos, Test Setup Photos, User Manual"
      So in theory by October 19th we could have photos and a user manual available for download. However, the website has availability notes now appended to those document listings, and they are now "requesting the Commission to withhold the following attachments as confidential document from public disclosure indefinitely". It should be obvious the machine itself will not be available until sometime in 2021.
      Since the FCC listing confirms there really is a GPX 6000 on the way I have added a Minelab GPX 6000 Data & Reviews page in the detector database, where I will add any reliable information the moment it becomes available.

Minelab GPX 6000 metal detector