I was wondering if the aftermarket coils were that much better than the Minelab, i.e Coiltek.

I'm very hesitant to go Coiltek because the GPX was designed to use only Minelab coils?

My fear is i don't want to hurt my GPX 5000 in the long term by putting a coil on it that Minelab doesn't like?

It seems like everyone with a GPX is using a aftermarket coil. I especially like the Coiltek 9" Elite

I'f you were me would you get a Coiltek coil?

Coiltek and Nuggetfinder have both been making compatible coils for Minelabs, a long time. That said you may have a warranty issue if you get a very rare defective coil...it does happen.

Minelab coils are often underrated...they are as good as any in my opinion....

I suggest you use the mono and dd coils that came with the detector, learn the machine, read the manual...

and then you too can buy 15 different coils...just teasing, I have been there

fred

There is absolutely no reason not to use Coiltek or Nugget Finder coils on your GPX. In fact I would say limiting yourself to only Minelab coils would be avoiding some of the newest and best coils for the GPX. Minelab stopped making new Commander models years ago. Commander (Minelab) coils are generally underrated in my opinion also, but do not take advantage of some new innovations in coil design that have come about in the last few years. A lot of people think very highly of the Coiltek Elite coils.

• Like 4

Apparently, I am outdated...what are the Coils made by Minelab called? 

Phrunt, I never said it was likely. But non-stock coils on a machine with a warrenty can/do and will create problems-no matter how rare.

I realize there are many new coils available but I will maintain that no beginner needs to buy extra coils until they have learned their new machine.

However, if buying more coils is what he wants-buy, buy, buy...the dealers will love it. They certainly got plenty of my money. And I found gold with every coil I ever bought. Did I need them, no...but, I did want them, so, I got them!

just my opinion

fred

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Minelab Commander Coils

Click the image below for larger view.

I really like the 15 x 12 Minelab coils but where you really do need to go aftermarket is the big coils. I would never swing an 18” Commander coil when I could be using a much lighter aftermarket coil. The Minelab coils are very good, but they are also heavy.

I generally agree with you though Fred. People go chasing off after coils way to soon in a lot of cases when simply mastering what they have would be more productive.

79FB6748-B92B-45A0-A98D-763BC72E408F.jpeg

Minelab Commander Coils For GPX Series Detectors (work with GP and SD series also)

• Like 3

Thank you everyone :)

I will stick to the Minelab 8'inch for awhile. But i was also thinking of ordering a Coiltek Elite 9"inch so i'll have it for the future just in case the coils become unavailable.

• Like 1

GPX failures due to coils are almost non-existent anyway. A coil may not perform well but it's not like a GPZ where things actually fry. The SD/GP/GPX is very forgiving in that regard, which is why there is close to 200 coils been made for them over the years.

• Like 1

No worries Simon 

like the geography and astronomy I learned, my information is outdated..

As an example,.2010 on tour with Mark Hyde a customer had a detector go bad. Then another went bad, these were not stock coils. He wanted to use his coils but Marks machine. Mark would not let him use that coil again...

so, like great white attacks it can happen. Also, when you send the machine in they generally want the coil too...

I have never had problems with NF, or Coiltek

56 minutes ago, fredmason said:

like the geography and astronomy I learned, my information is outdated..

Don't beat yourself up, Fred.  I am (or at least 'was') a professional astrophysicist and frequenty find my knowledge has been superceded with recent discoveries.  That's a good thing for the field so I consider it a win-win when I find out my (old) ideas need correction.  It sometimes seems civilization is going backwards, but when it comes to real science (not pseudo-science nor "fake news", real, perceived, or smokescreened) we are always gaining as long as we keep things in perspective, with humility, and with an open mind.

• Like 2