Hi again everyone. I went ahead and bought my coils. after many hours of thinking and reading i decided to get 3 additional coils for my GPX. I should be set for life now :)

11" Minelab Commander Mono

Nugget Finder 14x9 EVO

Detech 15" Ultimate Spiral DD

• Like 2

Depending on the ground your detecting, while using the Detech DD, you may be able to switch the timing to either Normal or Sensitive Extra for increased sensitivity and depth and you should try it on the 14x9 evo as well for kicks.

Good Luck,

Brian.

I seem to have messed up and bought another coil 🙂

Nugget Finder 17x13 spoked

I might be stretching the boy scout motto a bit far. Be prepared

Hi, the Nugget Finder 17x13 evo is fantastic for depth but may miss a few smaller pieces. Over here the 17x13 has held its price fairly stable and you dont see many second hand on the market. Must be good. The spoked version is obviously the lightest option but sometimes rubbing it along the surface for maximum sensitivity can cause the machine to give off false signals, expecially if you catch a rock or stick between the spokes. Not sure if you can get a full scrub plate for the bottom to help you glide over the ground. Anyway a great light weight coil for covering a lot of ground. You tried to lift the GPZ 7000 yet? Now thats heavy, cheers sturt

I actually cancelled the 17x13 order because i wasn't to sure if that was the best one or the 15"inch evo.

I haven't touched a GPZ7000 yet. I still need to open my GPX5000 box lol. Sept 18 is when im heading out to the fields.

8 hours ago, garikfox said:

I actually cancelled the 17x13 order because i wasn't to sure if that was the best one or the 15"inch evo.

I haven't touched a GPZ7000 yet. I still need to open my GPX5000 box lol. Sept 18 is when im heading out to the fields.

Did a fair bit of time, here in Oz, on the 17 and 15 round on a 5000. 15 round. Amazing coil. Will easily get bits down to 1/20th of a gram. The other day got a beuatiful dipping signal, everything about it indicating a larger, 1/4 oz upwards, bit. Dug down 6 inches. Yep looking good. Bit more and a half gram bit. Near there a wobbler, just audible, almost a ground noise. Scrape off a few inches. Starts to define. Few more 100% positive signal. Few more and a specie with 2 grams of prickly gold spread through it. Great coil, spends 80% of the time on the shaft, the other 20% the 12".

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 11:14 AM, garikfox said:

That's impressive, what's your opinion on the 14x9 evo?

I prefer the rounds mate on the GPX's. They go deeper. Full stop. Large round in the more open areas, the smaller in the scrubby stuff. Have not used the 14 x 9. But the 17 didn't impress me so I guess I'd be equally unimpressed by the 14. That's me though, some people love them on the GPXs, I dont. I like them on VLFs for wierd little specie stuff but never have on any of the SDs, GPs, or GPX's. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 10:10 AM, garikfox said:

Hi again everyone. I went ahead and bought my coils. after many hours of thinking and reading i decided to get 3 additional coils for my GPX. I should be set for life now 🙂

11" Minelab Commander Mono

Nugget Finder 14x9 EVO

Detech 15" Ultimate Spiral DD

On 8/20/2019 at 12:08 PM, garikfox said:

I seem to have messed up and bought another coil 🙂

Nugget Finder 17x13 spoked

I might be stretching the boy scout motto a bit far. Be prepared

Wow.  I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm for your newfound passion, but, frankly, I would slow down on the coil acquisition and focus on learning your new detectors with a minimal of variables at this point (i.e. different coils).  It seems you are just starting out with PI prospecting detecting (if not detecting in general) but it is not clear to me your background as a prospecting detectorist is with your VHF 800 and Gold Monster detectors so ignore the following if it is stuff you already know and I will just put it out there for anyone else new to the hobby in general.

Remember Steve's words of wisdom earlier in this thread: "People go chasing off after coils way to soon in a lot of cases when simply mastering what they have would be more productive."

My advice to you is to just get out there and start learning your new detectors with the stock coils.  There is a lot to learn just on setting up soil timings and learning nuances of the audio language of the GPX...and the GPZ is a completely different beast.   They are both very different than the VHF detectors you may be used to. 

Mixing it up with all these coils, you'll be spending more time loosening and adjusting coil bolts and cords than getting quality detect time training your brain on a consistent baseline coil audio response to various targets.  From that you can start to gradually learn how additional coil types sound and purchase coils on the basis of what they can actually bring to the table in terms of filling the target/capability gaps of your existing coil(s).  All these coils will make the GPX sound and behave slightly differently even with the same exact detector settings.

Avoid the temptation to be enamored of all the bright shiny hardware accessories and user claims of this and that until you get a handle on your detector, your sites, and the targets that reside there [you may already have].  Not sure if this applies to you, but for those new to the hobby, detecting takes a lot of patience, target acquisition and recovery is not all that easy (at least not as easy as the skillfully edited You Tube videos would lead you to believe) and before you invest TOO heavily, it is wise to make sure it is something you are going to enjoy for years to come.  I have seen many folks get frustrated and quit the hobby because they spent too much time wrestling with an overwhelming mass of hardware that they could not master.  Keep the detector piece as simple as possible when starting out.

Though it seems resources are not an issue for you, just know that standalone coils, especially specialty coils tend to not hold their resale value as well as detectors.  So be cautious in investing in coils you may not even need as your return on investment may be pretty low.

Regardless, have fun with your new equipment, but focus on learning those new detectors at this point and the best way to do that is minimize the variables that can reset your learning curve like too many coils.  There will be plenty of time in the future to acquire new hardware, it ain't going anywhere, will probably only get better, and frankly 90% of success in detecting is getting yourself onto a good site where the targets reside, knowing how to attack that site, and gaining field experience.  After that, the equipment's effect on success is really about splitting hairs and the perceived performance deltas come from our obsessive-compulsive personality disorders that make us think that the equipment really makes that big a difference.  I mean, who doesn't like to buy more tools just because they're cool and not because we need them.  :smile:

GL HH.

• Like 2