No worries Simon 

like the geography and astronomy I learned, my information is outdated..

As an example,.2010 on tour with Mark Hyde a customer had a detector go bad. Then another went bad, these were not stock coils. He wanted to use his coils but Marks machine. Mark would not let him use that coil again...

so, like great white attacks it can happen. Also, when you send the machine in they generally want the coil too...

I have never had problems with NF, or Coiltek

• Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is absolutely no reason not to use Coiltek or Nugget Finder coils on your GPX. In fact I would say limiting yourself to only Minelab coils would be avoiding some of the newest and best coils for

Minelab Commander Coils Click the image below for larger view. I really like the 15 x 12 Minelab coils but where you really do need to go aftermarket is the big coils. I would never swing an

Hi again everyone. I went ahead and bought my coils. after many hours of thinking and reading i decided to get 3 additional coils for my GPX. I should be set for life now :) 11" Minelab Commander

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, fredmason said:

like the geography and astronomy I learned, my information is outdated..

Don't beat yourself up, Fred.  I am (or at least 'was') a professional astrophysicist and frequenty find my knowledge has been superceded with recent discoveries.  That's a good thing for the field so I consider it a win-win when I find out my (old) ideas need correction.  It sometimes seems civilization is going backwards, but when it comes to real science (not pseudo-science nor "fake news", real, perceived, or smokescreened) we are always gaining as long as we keep things in perspective, with humility, and with an open mind.

• Like 1

I'd be the first to be cheering if Minelab decided to revise their coils and make a range of new up to date coils! Sadly that's very unlikely to happen especially for the GPX series.  There is too many options already for them to bother and It would be greedy of me to want them to make more GPX coils, they need to concentrate on doing that for the GPZ ?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi again everyone. I went ahead and bought my coils. after many hours of thinking and reading i decided to get 3 additional coils for my GPX. I should be set for life now :)

11" Minelab Commander Mono

Nugget Finder 14x9 EVO

Detech 15" Ultimate Spiral DD

• Like 3

Depending on the ground your detecting, while using the Detech DD, you may be able to switch the timing to either Normal or Sensitive Extra for increased sensitivity and depth and you should try it on the 14x9 evo as well for kicks.

Good Luck,

Brian.

I seem to have messed up and bought another coil 🙂

Nugget Finder 17x13 spoked

I might be stretching the boy scout motto a bit far. Be prepared

• Like 1

Hi, the Nugget Finder 17x13 evo is fantastic for depth but may miss a few smaller pieces. Over here the 17x13 has held its price fairly stable and you dont see many second hand on the market. Must be good. The spoked version is obviously the lightest option but sometimes rubbing it along the surface for maximum sensitivity can cause the machine to give off false signals, expecially if you catch a rock or stick between the spokes. Not sure if you can get a full scrub plate for the bottom to help you glide over the ground. Anyway a great light weight coil for covering a lot of ground. You tried to lift the GPZ 7000 yet? Now thats heavy, cheers sturt

I actually cancelled the 17x13 order because i wasn't to sure if that was the best one or the 15"inch evo.

I haven't touched a GPZ7000 yet. I still need to open my GPX5000 box lol. Sept 18 is when im heading out to the fields.

8 hours ago, garikfox said:

I actually cancelled the 17x13 order because i wasn't to sure if that was the best one or the 15"inch evo.

I haven't touched a GPZ7000 yet. I still need to open my GPX5000 box lol. Sept 18 is when im heading out to the fields.

Did a fair bit of time, here in Oz, on the 17 and 15 round on a 5000. 15 round. Amazing coil. Will easily get bits down to 1/20th of a gram. The other day got a beuatiful dipping signal, everything about it indicating a larger, 1/4 oz upwards, bit. Dug down 6 inches. Yep looking good. Bit more and a half gram bit. Near there a wobbler, just audible, almost a ground noise. Scrape off a few inches. Starts to define. Few more 100% positive signal. Few more and a specie with 2 grams of prickly gold spread through it. Great coil, spends 80% of the time on the shaft, the other 20% the 12".

• Like 2