Hi again everyone. I went ahead and bought my coils. after many hours of thinking and reading i decided to get 3 additional coils for my GPX. I should be set for life now :)

11" Minelab Commander Mono

Nugget Finder 14x9 EVO

Detech 15" Ultimate Spiral DD

• Like 2

Depending on the ground your detecting, while using the Detech DD, you may be able to switch the timing to either Normal or Sensitive Extra for increased sensitivity and depth and you should try it on the 14x9 evo as well for kicks.

Good Luck,

Brian.

I seem to have messed up and bought another coil 🙂

Nugget Finder 17x13 spoked

I might be stretching the boy scout motto a bit far. Be prepared

Hi, the Nugget Finder 17x13 evo is fantastic for depth but may miss a few smaller pieces. Over here the 17x13 has held its price fairly stable and you dont see many second hand on the market. Must be good. The spoked version is obviously the lightest option but sometimes rubbing it along the surface for maximum sensitivity can cause the machine to give off false signals, expecially if you catch a rock or stick between the spokes. Not sure if you can get a full scrub plate for the bottom to help you glide over the ground. Anyway a great light weight coil for covering a lot of ground. You tried to lift the GPZ 7000 yet? Now thats heavy, cheers sturt

I actually cancelled the 17x13 order because i wasn't to sure if that was the best one or the 15"inch evo.

I haven't touched a GPZ7000 yet. I still need to open my GPX5000 box lol. Sept 18 is when im heading out to the fields.

8 hours ago, garikfox said:

I actually cancelled the 17x13 order because i wasn't to sure if that was the best one or the 15"inch evo.

I haven't touched a GPZ7000 yet. I still need to open my GPX5000 box lol. Sept 18 is when im heading out to the fields.

Did a fair bit of time, here in Oz, on the 17 and 15 round on a 5000. 15 round. Amazing coil. Will easily get bits down to 1/20th of a gram. The other day got a beuatiful dipping signal, everything about it indicating a larger, 1/4 oz upwards, bit. Dug down 6 inches. Yep looking good. Bit more and a half gram bit. Near there a wobbler, just audible, almost a ground noise. Scrape off a few inches. Starts to define. Few more 100% positive signal. Few more and a specie with 2 grams of prickly gold spread through it. Great coil, spends 80% of the time on the shaft, the other 20% the 12".

• Like 1
On 8/24/2019 at 11:14 AM, garikfox said:

That's impressive, what's your opinion on the 14x9 evo?

I prefer the rounds mate on the GPX's. They go deeper. Full stop. Large round in the more open areas, the smaller in the scrubby stuff. Have not used the 14 x 9. But the 17 didn't impress me so I guess I'd be equally unimpressed by the 14. That's me though, some people love them on the GPXs, I dont. I like them on VLFs for wierd little specie stuff but never have on any of the SDs, GPs, or GPX's. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Condor
      Based on Jasong's report that a GPX 6000 was on display in Quartzsite, Beatup and I drove up there this morning from sunny Yuma.  We did indeed see and touch the machine.  There will apparently be other opportunities in the near future including the Quartzite gold show in Feb.  Everything is up in the air, so don't count on anything I say as gospel as far as a schedule.  Nothing is firm, make your own plans accordingly.  The US release is still uncertain but it was suggested perhaps late spring or early summer.  I think mid Feb might be overly optimistic.  
      However; we saw and ran the machine albeit in the gravel parking lot of the RV show.  Only the DD coil could be run because of the EMI.  As of now, the US sales will include the DD coil and an 11" mono coil.  There will be a 17" Mono available as an accessory for the machine, but it's US availability upon release of the machine is still in question.  The African market has a corner on the market at this point.
      My observations are this:  As stated elsewhere, the machine is an ergonomic dream.  Well balanced when fully extended with really nice carbon fiber shafts.  The battery pack is detachable and has heavy duty rubber coating on the bottom to absorb shock plus the machine balances perfectly upright when setting it down to dig.  The Minelab spiel is no different than the star chart shown previously, so I can't really comment on the accuracy of those claims.   
      We ran the machine in the DD mode to eliminate EMI.  We detected  .1 and a .2 gram nuggets in the parking lot at a height of about 4 inches.  All of that is meaningless as far as it's actual performance in real world conditions, especially as it pertains to the Mono coil.  This sneak preview was never intended as actual testing and it started raining while we were there.
      From my perspective, I would seriously consider a trade down from the GPZ7000 purely from the ergonomics and portability.  I would hesitate if the 17" Mono was not immediately available.   I'll hit 67 yrs old this summer and just don't get up and down the rough terrain as well, especially with the weight and balance of the GPZ hanging off my shoulder.  
      That's about all I can tell you from a 30 minute preview in a gravel parking lot.  

• By Steve Herschbach
      I've been a successful business person in my life, and so the business aspects of metal detecting are something I follow more than most. It's an interesting industry to watch as it is fairly small, and I know a lot of the players.
      Lots of people have various issues with Minelab and some of the things they do. Yet one thing should be obvious. When it comes to genuinely extending the technology, Minelab tends to be the only game in town now, while others try to keep up. A big problem with U.S. companies is they got into this 10 year product cycle, while Minelab sticks more to a two year cycle. So where a U.S. company will have one machine for ages, Minelab will crank out multiple generations. People denigrate this as drip feed, but the advances are genuine, and after so many cycles Minelab is only extending the lead. They patent prolifically also, which helps build a wall around the lead they have.
      This success leads to a huge cash flow, that can be used to advance both the technology, but also the actual design complexity and sophistication, which is reaching levels where I can't see how some of these other companies are going to be able to hang in there. The competition should be grateful for the high prices on most Minelabs, as it gives them space to compete. Witness what happens if Minelab decides to drop a tech bombshell at a lower price into a mature market just to disrupt it, as has occurred with Equinox.
      The CTX 3030 I think does a good job of showing off Minelab design prowess. Nothing is perfect, but that is one sophisticated metal detector, both in function and physical design.
      Then I saw this on the GPX 6000 Reveal thread (thanks to VicR):
      https://search.ipaustralia.gov.au/designs/search/result?s=b3cb780a-1ad5-4955-81d2-bf2ef2e9b166
      Link to Australian design patents for the GPX6000 with the tech drawings just released. Looks like there are two design patents for the 6000 - 202014625 and 202013037

Minelab GPX 6000 engineering diagrams - click for larger version
      I don't know about you guys, but what I am seeing is levels of sophistication beyond what we normally think of when we think of metal detectors. geoff_junk added the names of the designers. Cosmo Luppino, Dominic Paul Gralton, and Simon Hill. I do not know who these blokes are, but I suspect these are names that should be known because of what they are contributing. Long story short, there may be issues, but thank you Minelab for doing what you do. Imagine if the company did not exist what the available options would be, and I am sure a lot of people would agree.

• By jasong
      There is a Minelab rep from Chicago in Quartzsite right now with a GPX 6000 exhibiting it. Tomorrow is the last day, I can't make it down there though soon enough to see it. Anyone else in the area and curious to see might go to the Miner's Depot booth at the RV show though.
    • By schoolofhardNox
      My second hunt this past week was at my favorite EMI beach. Besides getting a new scoop I also decided to try a Coiltek 14" anti-interference coil for my GPX. I need every advantage when hunting this beach, so I decided to give it a go. I was hoping I could still use the coin/relic setting with this coil as it is the deepest, but it was not going to happen. So I changed timings and it worked well. Now all that was left was to see how much depth I lost. Honestly, at first I did not like the coil since I really wanted the most depth I could get, as the coins tend to be deep. But I kept at it and eventually did get 2 silvers that were around 12" deep. Not bad, but a bit short of the depth I wanted. Then something strange happened. I got another deep sounding signal and dug down around 12". Still no target with the pinpointer, so I scraped another 2 inches out, and finally I heard the target, I carefully removed 1 more inch and I flipped out a small copper ring. I measured the hole and it was 15". I couldn't believe I heard that ring that deep. I'm pretty careful with my measuring and I saw the ring flip over when I was pulling sand away, so I'm confident that it was not falling back into the hole. I use a spade to get the bulk of the sand away and then use my hand to finish finding the target. Although it's just a junk ring, I like the enamel design that the 40's through 50's era produces. I've found a couple religious medals before and they were enameled the same way. A couple more trinkets and lots of junk I didn't photograph, and that was it. I'm always happy to get any silver at this beach, so 2 silvers this time of year is a good hunt for me. Just happy to get out twice in one week.

• By Steve Herschbach
      This video goes over each of the controls and initial setup for the new GPX 6000. It's in English so no translation required. My thanks to Luis for posting this video on the other thread. 
      Minelab GPX 6000 Data & Reviews

Minelab GPX 6000 Controls (see chart below for control ranges)

• By Rob Allison
      Hello All,
         Had a great time testing the new Nugget Finder "Z Search" Searchcoil today on a wash I haven't hunted in some time.  This small coil for the GPZ 7000 is much lighter, more sensitive and easier to pinpoint small targets with.  I was super impressed with the new coil, wish I had a few dozen in stock.  I also love the fact you don't have to modify anything, just mount and plug in like a stock GPZ coil.  
      I have already had 3 customers burn up their $8000 GPZ 7000 by making some wiring mistakes on adapters for aftermarket coils.  In my opinion, I don't recommend anyone voiding a warranty or sacrificing a $8000 metal detector if you make a mistake.  
      Pictured below are nuggets found today with the new coil here in Arizona.  The coil comes with a lower shaft, mounting hardware and skidplate.