Tom Dankowski Tips For Low Mineral Ground

The Recovery Speed info was an eyebrow raiser for me. I pretty much run my detector exactly how he describes with great success except for the 2-3 Recovery Speed.  I hang out from 4-6 but never really gave much of a thought to trying anything lower.  It was interesting to see the EQ is tuned at RS 3 for ultimate performance if your soil will cooperate at that speed..

I will be doing some testing with that and maybe pushing my sensitivity a bit more to see if I can eke out some additional performance..  Hard to imagine it getting much better then it already is..

Bryan

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

I will be doing some testing with that

Yup, that's the ticket. It is honestly almost a waste of time to get opinions on the internet when you have a detector in hand. Have an Equinox and want to know about Iron Bias? Go find some of your targets in your ground and run through the setting from end to end until you understand it. How it acts on others people's targets and in their ground is nothing more than an aside really. In particular there is a huge gulf in communications that exists between the high mineral folks and the low mineral folks. It's two totally different worlds and what works well in one world almost is sure to fail in the other world. The Florida crowd would be at a total loss in the Sierra Nevada greenstone belt.

• Like 3

This discussion of using lower recovery speed, 2-3 on the 800, is a bit mind-blowing, as I've never ventured below 5.  I seem to recall that in the early days of Equinox availability, it was pretty much gospel (on this forum and elsewhere) that if you weren't using 5 or above you were pretty much wasting the capabilities of the machine.  Anyway, on my next trip out I'll be lowering it to 3 and slowing down and see what happens!

I’m definitely guilty of not doing as much testing as I should have with both iron bias which I run at 0 all the time and Recovery Speed which I didn’t give the extreme ends of the range 1-3 and 7,8 any chance at all.

Hopefully I don’t make myself look too stupid here, but I think what surprised me the most about Tom D’s Recover Speed explanation that hit me between the eyes was that the settings don’t actually change the actual recovery speed of the detector at all.. just the audio which either gets clipped or elongated..  I knew the audio is different at each setting but maybe I was thinking the detector was actually working differently.

Now I know it’s more about understanding the audio at these different settings and probably the swing speeds that go with them.  

Sometimes you just think you know something until it gets explained to you differently and then it clicks.. Now I can revisit this Mode and look at it differently.. I would have never thought to try ultra low speed in a heavy target situation. 

Bryan

• Like 4

I really wanted to understand that thread but really most of it went right over my head. Between lots of references to other detectors I don't know and the jumbled writing style I just couldn't follow. 

I tried Tom's settings yesterday and compared to Park 2 with the same settings Park 1 was much smoother and more intelligible.  So I have to agree with Tom on that one.  Picked up a few coins and a silver ring in a well hunted spot that were definite good signals, so there's that also.  Based on yesterdays results the Park 2 Recovery 4 settings I had settled on for most of my hunting might well be history.  Will know more after today.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reminder.  I remember years ago when the Fisher F75 first came out.  It was, a have to have detector and to start with I found a lot of very good targets in areas where I had already hunted extensively. 

What I'm about to say, don't take the wrong way but I started reading all of Tom's posts on how to get the max out of the F75.  How you needed to run with sensitivity maxed and discrimination at 0 and the next thing I knew I was trapped into thinking (my fault) I was missing out on finds because I wasn't using these settings.  I became extremely dissatisfied and finally sold the detector off.  Bought another one to try and the same issues the machine was just to noisy, sent it in for a check up and they replaced the coil but upon return still to much noise trying to run according to Tom's settings.  Many times the machine wouldn't quite down even with sensitivity settings of 50-60.  Went through several more F75's before realizing his setting were good for where he hunted but in no way acceptable for my medium to high mineralized, red clay of Virginia.  And then I had to take into consideration EMI, yet another story all together. 

It's nice to read about other hunters successes with their machine, using their settings but all thing are not equal from one location to another. 

I know and realize Tom has much more experience than I but there's more to successful hunting than just a particular setting/settings.

Took a long time to realize that.

• Like 3