Equinox Going Berserk

strick

Happened to me this weekend at least 6 times..all of the sudden it gets really chattery and loud like the worst EMI you have ever heard...the numbers on the screen are going all over the place...first time I was near some power lines so I thought maybe it was because of that...It would do it  and then stop and then start doing it again. I looked around thinking someone who hated metal detectors was targeting me with some EMI device lol...Then it happened again  at 3 other locations yesterday...I tried re noise cancelling several times but that did not work...tried lowering the sensitivity almost down to zero and it was still going mad. Turning the machine off and then on again did not fix the issue...so I did a factory reset and that fixed it...but then an hour later it started up again...anyone have or seen this before? It happened in several different programs.

strick

Strick -- I have heard of instances where problems in the coil wire can sometimes do that, usually either the connector that screws into the unit, or where the coil cable inserts into the coil.

Steve

• Like 2

Thanks fellas for the info...I'll take a vid and try to post it however I have never done that before.. do you have to use youtube ? or can you do it directly from your phone like a photo?

strick

5 hours ago, strick said:

Happened to me this weekend at least 6 times..all of the sudden it gets really chattery and loud like the worst EMI you have ever heard...the numbers on the screen are going all over the place...first time I was near some power lines so I thought maybe it was because of that...It would do it  and then stop and then start doing it again. I looked around thinking someone who hated metal detectors was targeting me with some EMI device lol...Then it happened again  at 3 other locations yesterday...I tried re noise cancelling several times but that did not work...tried lowering the sensitivity almost down to zero and it was still going mad. Turning the machine off and then on again did not fix the issue...so I did a factory reset and that fixed it...but then an hour later it started up again...anyone have or seen this before? It happened in several different programs.

strick

Did you try taking the coil cover off and cleaning it out. My buddy's machine was acting up, he had a small piece of wire inside the coil cover.

• Like 4

Strick, I know I'm being captain obvious,  but I have seen that,  and it's when I have my cell phone with me and it is updating my location in Google maps with a marginal signal. Not sure why it is more then. I'm sure its probably not your phone because you would have thought of that but since it was exactly what you described I felt obligated to mention it. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Lacky said:

Strick, I know I'm being captain obvious,  but I have seen that,  and it's when I have my cell phone with me and it is updating my location in Google maps with a marginal signal. Not sure why it is more then. I'm sure its probably not your phone because you would have thought of that but since it was exactly what you described I felt obligated to mention it. 

Actually I did not think about my cell phone as being the problem even though I remember reading a post about that a while ago...I will pay more attention to that...I did detect yesterday for about 20 min in a park with the phone in my pouch and no problems...I'm still not sure if I have a problem as it's only happened a couple times ...I do take off the coil cover and clean regularly...thanls for all your help fellas I'll get back to you  when I figure it out. 

strick

FYI

Make sure Pinpointer turned off .

Had trouble with it on another detector one time but never again.

Chuck 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, strick said:

Actually I did not think about my cell phone as being the problem even though I remember reading a post about that a while ago...I will pay more attention to that...I did detect yesterday for about 20 min in a park with the phone in my pouch and no problems...I'm still not sure if I have a problem as it's only happened a couple times ...I do take off the coil cover and clean regularly...thanls for all your help fellas I'll get back to you  when I figure it out. 

strick

In town I can usually keep my phone on too. The spot I was in had one or two bars at best though. I ended up just keeping it on airplain mode, but then I would take it off airplane mode now and then to update my spot on Google maps and the detector freaked out each time. Then I'd put in back in airplane mode. I'd take off the headphones before turning on the phone just so I didn't have to listen to it.

• Like 1