Equinox Going Berserk

strick

On 7/30/2019 at 2:00 PM, strick said:

Actually I did not think about my cell phone as being the problem even though I remember reading a post about that a while ago...I will pay more attention to that...I did detect yesterday for about 20 min in a park with the phone in my pouch and no problems...I'm still not sure if I have a problem as it's only happened a couple times ...I do take off the coil cover and clean regularly...thanls for all your help fellas I'll get back to you  when I figure it out. 

strick

Hi Strick, I occasionally have the same symptoms when I go out to detect at different locations. Normally I leave my mobiles on for convenience sake, but when the Nox goes haywire VID (not always) I find that switching my phones off completely stops any re-occurrence. I do not know what exactly causes it, whether it is location update, or text or email updates, or loss of 4G then re-connection, but it does seem mobile related. 

• Like 3

Update:  Detected this weekend without my phone and it did it again...twice I went back to my truck to get the phone and by the time I got the phone turned on to record it the Nox quieted down.. I am hunting within 100 yards of high velocity power lines at this site...the time when it went really crazy that I posted about I was within 50 yards of High velocity power lines...what I am thinking is that maybe at certain times something is going on with the power lines...maybe power surge related that is causing this to happen?  I can turn the sensitivity down below 10 and it does nothing to stop it...noise cancel  does nothing as well. Eventually it stops however...weird because most of the time I can hunt near power lines without any trouble. 

strick 

High velocity of high voltage?  Sometimes humidity affects high voltage line EMI emissions and/or affects insulators or when high impedance ground protection devices trigger.  Malfunctioning insulation or protective components can cause this also - that would tend to be more continuous.

• Like 2

Well the good news is if I can replicate it under specific conditions directly from my phone it still means it should be an outside source of some kind of emi and not a detector problem. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

High velocity of high voltage?  Sometimes humidity affects high voltage line EMI emissions and/or affects insulators or when high impedance ground protection devices trigger.  Malfunctioning insulation or protective components can cause this also - that would tend to be more continuous.

LOl Thanks Chase meant High Voltage...and yes we have been experiencing some higher then normal humidity these days so maybe thats it. I'll know when I get out further afield where there are no power lines. Thanks fellas for all your help 

strick

• Like 1

Hmm, never heard of it here phrunt, at least in residential. I know some industrial slows during high demand, but not sure how it's implemented.

7 hours ago, strick said:

Thanks Chase meant High Voltage.

Yeah, had my own typo in that sentence so no one's perfect.  Lol.  Let us know how it goes.  EMI, especially transient EMI is just a hard thing to pin down and mitigate.  Good luck.  Phrunt may be on to something too.  I'm not a commercial electric power engineer, so anything is possible when that much electruc power is in the vicinity of your detector.  At a historic site that I volunteer at to do metal detecting surveys for the archeologists, there is a pulsed radio or wi-fi transmitter at the visitor center that periodically wreaks havoc with our GPX detectors.  BTW if you want a good long distance lightning detector, get a GPX.  It definitely alerts you to when it's time to leave tge field even if you don't see or hear the lightning.

• Like 1

I know some people that work for the power company I'll ask them about it...I think PG&E does have some type of load management plan but they call it something else.. Thanks again and I'll report back when/if I find out whats going on. 

strick 

• Like 1

Yeah, never heard of any of that phrunt, definitely not a thing in Idaho,  and very likely not in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Lacky,

If the power company has installed smart meters in your area they are using the power lines for the internet and they send a frequency through it in order to have their internet for the meters.

The high voltage lines will cause many problems during high humidity and can cause certain connections to pop every now and then. If you hear that it is a sign that it is the power lines.

Valen

• Like 1