Equinox Going Berserk

strick

Interesting. I haven't experienced anything other than miles from any power lines, but others have.

• Like 1

Here in the UK the internet broad band providers are using wireless microwave mini dish transmitters to provide broad band connection to remote farms, the dishes are mounted close to the main telephone lines on the main highway and I have been detecting on the fields close to the relay dish for many years but this spring time my Equinox and my mates Deus was going berserk and it was then that I noticed the newly installed microwave relay dish, we had to vacate the fields as the noise was unbearable, I later tried my CTX-3030 on the same fields and the noise was the same.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Randy Dee,

We also have the microwave internet in our area and some places still can't get it due to the terrain.

I have seen microwave units do the same thing in our area, as there are few options for the internet here in the rural areas.

The power companies have been working to perfect the internet over their lines, so that they  can compete with the phone companies. Currently they can do meter readings, turn on or off the power to select homes/business's without ever being in the same city.

Valen

• Like 2

phrunt,

They have had the equipment installed about 2 years ago in our area and have upgraded it to 5 G in the past few months.

When I a am within 50 yards my new 800 goes off into lala land thinking everything is in the ground or even in the air.

I noticed it doing it the first time I had gotten to an area that I knew it was at, and it took me a couple of minutes to figure it out. One trick that I had done to lower the effects was to wrap the coil wire half way up the shaft tie it off, and then wrap it the rest of the way opposite way to the plugin. That helped some but by being able to move further away from the lines stopped the chatter. I then did another ground balance and that seemed to do the trick.

Valen

• Like 1

phrunt,

The link that you shared I know about as they do have a U.S. version. They work in some of the areas, but I have seen them cause more trouble than a standard router.

Valen

On August 18, 2019 at 11:30 PM, 2Valen said:

Lacky,

If the power company has installed smart meters in your area they are using the power lines for the internet and they send a frequency through it in order to have their internet for the meters.

The high voltage lines will cause many problems during high humidity and can cause certain connections to pop every now and then. If you hear that it is a sign that it is the power lines.

Valen

Thanks for the info....I'm pretty sure it's the High Voltage lines now as it has not happened anywhere else...and we do have smart meters pretty much exclusively here in the Bay area.  I will be more vigilant in looking for the dishes you describe. Thanks 

strick

• Like 1

Its interesting my phone with a super marginal signal using data miles and miles from a power line and high voltage power lines carrying data both cause the same reaction. I guess it must have something to do with data transmission modulation? I'm way out of my depth on this one.

• Like 1

I often detect in the remote fields of Devon where the mobile signals are marginal. I sometimes get the "going beserk" effect, especially when the data signal is marginal and it seems the mobile is trying to make contact with network. If I switch my iphone completely off, the interference goes away. I could argue then that the interference is a good idea, it reminds me to switch off, (mentally and device) helps me concentrate on detecting without getting interrupted! 

Cheers

• Like 2