Emi Frustration

The EMI filter has about a %10 success rate on my 600.  So, yesterday I  was at one of my favorite parks under real noisy powerlines.  I have never had success with the Nox's filter here and usually hunt in single frequency.  Being an optimist l hit the filter button and it worked!

Zero noise, and it netted me a 1953 QEII quarter.

So, now that the filter is set l am going to leave it there and try it in other areas where powerlines are a noise maker...

26 minutes ago, TripleT said:

The EMI filter has about a %10 success rate on my 600.  So, yesterday I  was at one of my favorite parks under real noisy powerlines.  I have never had success with the Nox's filter here and usually hunt in single frequency.  Being an optimist l hit the filter button and it worked!

So, now that the filter is set l am going to leave it there and try it in other areas where powerlines are a noise maker...

When you say “filter” are you referring to the noise cancel setting??

Hi,

there was a thread on another forum concerning EMI and sensitivity levels on the Nox. One contributor was an Equinox field tester in the UK. Due to EMI issues during his testing, he had recommended that Minelab cap sensitivity at the current 20 level on the Equinox since EMI interference really increased in his area over 20 and depth gained increasing sensitivity from 20 to 25 was not remarkable.  I rarely hunt at levels over 18 in urban/suburban areas or near electric fences and power lines. Even without EMI issues my Nox would be chatty due to high ground mineralization with sensitivity cranked up above 20. I have dug plenty of 10" to 12" coin targets and larger targets with sensitivity on 18 to 20. I have never run my Equinox 600 or 800 above 22 after over 1,500 hours of using them.  Jeff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TripleT said:

It is not a filter, it is selecting the quietest multi IQ operating channel at the time.  Since there are so many variables, no guarantees it will work next time as power line load/time of day and even humidity all play a part in how well the noise propagates.  But, hey, it’s worth a shot, especially if you don’t mind also being locked into whatever mode (e.g., Park 1) is associated with that channel setting as each mode has its own unique set of operating channels the noise cancel algorithm scans (which is why each mode needs to be individually noise cancelled).  So if you switch modes, you are effectively switching operating channels.  The 800 allows you to manually select the quietest channel in addition to auto noise cancel, which would more easily allow you to set up the same channel repeatedly if auto doesn’t do the trick.  Unfortunately, you can’t do that on the 600.

• Thanks 1

Here's an experiment for every Equinox user.  Auto noise cancel.  Then do it again.  Do you get the same channel?

12 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Here's an experiment for every Equinox user.  Auto noise cancel.  Then do it again.  Do you get the same channel?

Rarely, especially in quiet conditions, since several channels could be quiet, it sort of becomes dealer's choice.   Similarly, under very noisy conditions, it may select diifferent channels on each run that have similar noise levels that it considers the quietest, even though they may not be very quiet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When you get into an area with Emi.

1  Cell Phone

2 Close to a strong wifi signal.

3 power lines

Hears something that may help. Sometimes you may have to go to a single frequency like 10 kHz. I’ve hade to do this a few times.

Doug

7 hours ago, Donut said:

When you get into an area with Emi.

1  Cell Phone

2 Close to a strong wifi signal.

3 power lines

Hears something that may help. Sometimes you may have to go to a single frequency like 10 kHz. I’ve hade to do this a few times.

Doug

10 kHz won't work on a salt beach!   Dave

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 3:13 PM, Chase Goldman said:

Since there are so many variables, no guarantees it will work next time as power line load/time of day and even humidity all play a part in how well the noise propagates.

I have noticed that the past 2 days when I have been out that there has been so much noise I had to give it up.

There were power lines nearby and the humidity has been high also. There was even a camper who was on his cell phone almost the entire time I was there.

I did not think about the humidity until you pointed that out, Thanks for the new information on it.

• Like 1