kiwijw

More Gold For The 10" X Coil

Managed to christen the 10" coil with a few nice bits. Was detecting for almost 4 days and found nothing until one hour before having to leave to go home👎

I went to an area my mate found 4 bits a few years ago with his zed. Id been back with my 4500 and the zed but never found anymore. This time i had the 10" x-coil on and was running very conservative settings (sensitivity 3) and easily picked up a murmur in the threshold. At around 3 inches i got a 0.10 gram bit. 

The past few days id been testing how deep i could get a 0.06 gram piece of gold with the 10" and found some settings that were still usable in the surrounding ground but punched deeper than factory settings or those that id been using.  So after finding the first bit i went over the same ground again using these more aggressive settings and soon heard a nice clear signal that was repeatable. Digging quite deep out popped a nice 1.53 gram piece of gold. 

The first two days i had been using semi auto and trying to balance the ferrite the best i could but got many  signals that ended up as nothing. Im presuming these were x signals due to the fact the coil wasnt balancing out the ferrite properly. 

Anyway the rest of the time i decided to ditch the semi auto ground balance and went with auto. I felt things were better in auto and spent less time investigating phantom targets and more time digging those pain in the rear shotgun pellets.

My overall impression is im happy with the 10" and found it awesome at getting into areas the 14" just dosnt fit. I weaved it in and around thick clumps of grass/weeds. I can see this coil as being my everyday go to coil due to the lightness and ease of use around thick bush.

I did spend a lot of time with the 20" coil and haven't come to a proper conclusion whether i like it all that much yet. I need to do some more testing to come to a correct conclusion on that one.

I did find that i had to lower the threshold a fair bit to make it manageable. But the ground was wet from showers every night which might of upset the larger coil. It picked up plenty of small deep targets so i know it works well but id like to see how it compares to  the gpz19 (my mate has one).  

The coil didnt feel too heavy and i swung it over hills that i could barely walk on due to steepness and walked for around 10 km - 12 km that day looking for a patch.

Like i said not really enough time on the zed and the 20" to form a correct opinion, more about what i found from a few days of using both coils. so far thumbs up for the little 10".    

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Jin said:

My overall impression is im happy with the 10" and found it awesome at getting into areas the 14" just dosnt fit. I weaved it in and around thick clumps of grass/weeds. I can see this coil as being my everyday go to coil due to the lightness and ease of use around thick bush.

That’s been the desire since day one. Exact same issue here in thick sagebrush and boulder piles in hydraulic pits and gully bottoms.

A thought for anyone with these small coils. The CTX battery will run a GPZ for a half day and between the smaller coil and CTX battery should knock about a pound off the GPZ. Could make it an entirely different detector on the arm and negate the need for the harness for some. If anyone has a chance to try this please weigh and report. Thanks!

• Like 3

I don't have a CTX battery, but here were the weights of the coils I got (coils +cables, no shafts). Even though it's only a little over 250 grams lighter, the 10" (with the stock battery) feels like something I can swing without the bungee. The 12" feels like I'd still need a bungee for a full day, but if I forgot the bungee I could make it through a day by taking breaks.

I guess I'd have to add the weight of the patch on too. Overall, not quite as much weight savings as I had thought initially, but it's enough to be noticeable.

Weight (grams)
Z14 Stock Coil 1240
X17 Spiral 1393
X12 Spiral 1133
X10 Bundle 988

250 grams = the approximate weight of a Big Mac, for easy visualization of what's being subtracted from the coil end of the detector. :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

I always had a CTX battery in my pack for that rare day when I ran the GPZ battery dead and wanted just one more hour detecting. A cheaper and less expensive backup alternative to the stock GPZ battery. It got little use but did save the day a couple times when the GPZ battery was not fully charged for some reason.

Good idea. Do you know how much less the CTX battery weighs than the stock battery?

From https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/680-minelab-ctx-3030-and-gpz-7000-weight-comparisons/

The GPZ battery is larger and at 72 Wh has nearly twice the capacity of the 34 Wh CTX battery. The GPZ battery weighs 13.0 oz. versus 9.0 oz for the CTX battery so you are getting twice the power for only 50% more weight. The batteries are interchangeable so you can use your CTX battery as a backup on the GPZ 7000 or buy a GPZ battery to get extra running time on a CTX 3030.”

A quick search shows CTX battery currently $129 and GPZ battery $195. Both use the same charger.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jasong said:

250 grams = the approximate weight of a Big Mac,

Only you would know the approximate weight of a Big Mac and equate it with differences in coil weight…I love it. Now watch, someone will skim-read your post and ask you how many Big Mac's you're putting on your coil.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

Only you would know the approximate weight of a Big Mac and equate it with differences in coil weight…I love it. Now watch, someone will skim-read your post and ask you how many Big Mac's you're putting on your coil.

In total, the GPZ with the 10" X Coil is about equal to swinging around 2 large Coke's, a medium pizza, a soft shell taco, and a Big Mac which your buddy took a big bite out of when you weren't looking, accounting roughly for packaging weight. Also, roughy equal to a 7lb bag of feathers. 

The coil diameter is also equal to 30 barleycorns, or approximately 5/36ths of a fathom.

And all that still somehow makes more sense to me than the pennyweight does. :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Many of the times I go out, I do not find enough gold to pay for a coke or a big mac.  I always thought that was why it was called a penny weight.

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, Jin said:

more time digging those pain in the rear shotgun pellets.

Yes....I know that all too well. :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, Jin said:

My overall impression is im happy with the 10" and found it awesome at getting into areas the 14" just doesnt fit. I weaved it in and around thick clumps of grass/weeds. I can see this coil as being my everyday go to coil due to the lightness and ease of use around thick bush.

👍 Yes yes yes.

16 hours ago, Jin said:

so far thumbs up for the little 10".  

I can't argue with that. Awesome...Happy for you Jin.

Good luck out there

JW 🤠

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Condor
      I got my GPZ back from Minelab last month, which included a new 14" coil and lower rod.  Only $3600.00 AUD lighter in my wallet.  As you may recall, I bricked the detector after the Patch Lead was defective.  It's still crazy hot here in Sunny Yuma, but I was bored and still curious about the X-Coil, so I shook off my concerns and cut the connector off my brand new coil and built the Patch Lead myself.  I was extra careful with the heat from the soldering iron and did a respectable job of putting together the connection.  I did a few practice runs on scrap wire and connectors so I was a little more confident of my skill. 
      I got out 5 mornings last week for a total of about 12 hrs run time.  At sunup the morning temps were still in the high 80's and jumping to 100 by 9:00am.  Unbearable in the desert washes with no breeze.  The one thing that saved me was the synthetic chamois cooling cloths, one around my neck and one under my cap hanging down my neck. 
      The first morning I did a complete set-up with the detector since it was, for all practical purposes, a brand new machine with all new printed circuits etc.  I waved the 17" X-Coil over the ferrite and got the machine nearly silent, though still reacting some to the ferrite.  I started in the area where I found the 28 gram rippa last May.  This area has a fairly hot layer of clay about 12" under the overburden.  Last May we were able to run this zone using HY, Normal, Sens 12,  (Threshold 27) with the Patch Search mode to quiet down the machine.  The 17" X-Coil in those same settings was way too sensitive, so I had to switch to Difficult to quiet it down.  Because I knew I could only be out for a couple hrs, I focused on trying to get that coil over gold hoping to then play with the settings.  No joy the first morning.
      The next morning I went out to an area that had produced half a dozen 1 grammers when the GPZ first came out.  I knew it was deeper and a little quieter ground.  We tried Paul's 19" GPZ here when it first came out to no avail.  This time I was able to zero out the Ferrite and switch back to Normal from the Difficult setting.  The machine was still a little twitchy so I backed off the Threshold to 22 and got it humming along nicely.  I gridded the area pretty good and came up with a few deep trash targets and then, right as it started to get unbearable hot, I got a faint, sweet rising tone. A lot of digging and sweating produced a sweet 4 grammer right on the hardpack, about 14 inches down.  Now a 4 grammer at 14 inches should be well within the range of the GPZ and standard 14" coil, but I've been over that zone at least 6 times over the past 3 years.  The only significant difference is the ground is bone dry this year.  Last year there were still pools of water from late season rains.  
      The next morning I was back to the area of the 28 grammer.  I found that the machine was more stable and I could run in Gen, Normal, Sens 14.  I got a couple deep trash targets and chased a number of hot ground seams and hot rocks.  The settings were really sensitive to hot ground, but in my mind that's the only way to find good missed targets.  Right at the end of the morning I got what sounded like another bit of hot ground.  I switched to High Yield from General and it brightened up the target, but still hadn't convinced me that it was gold.  The target was in the sidewall of a drywasher's hole, so the 17" coil was pretty awkward.  I dug out the ground so that I could get the coil level and the target brightened up a little more.  By then I had hit the hardpack which tends to hide these small, reddish hotrocks.  I dug dozens in this same area, but I needed to check this coil's capabilities.  The hardpack was brutal in the morning sun so I had to go back to the truck and get my handy Aussie (DavesGold) made pick.  I'm not going out without it now.  About 8 inches into the hardpack out popped a nice 1.5 grammer.  I can guarantee I  stuck the GPZ standard coil in the hole a half a dozen times over the past 2 years.  
      Thur morning I got out in the same area.  I chose a wash that a produced 5 small nuggets, in the sub-sub gram range, in May.  I concentrated on the deepest gravels thinking deeper nuggets must be in there, just beyond the reach of the 14" coil.  I gridded the zone where a bench had formed on the inside bend of the wash.  I went at it from every angle and was about to surrender to the heat when I got the faintest of faint tones.  Again I switched to High Yield and it brightened up some.  I switched to Difficult, nothing.  I started pulling down the bank so that I could get a good level swing with the 17" coil.  Slightly improved tone, still unconvincing.  I pulled down another few inches and got a much improved tone.  I switched to Difficult and got a dull growl, more convincing yet.  After much digging into the hardpack out came a nice 1.8 grammer.   I even photographed the hole for this one.  The Aussie pick is 28" long.
      I'm really starting to like this coil.  It's light enough for all day use with the addition of my homemade hipstick.    I run the hipstick to the bottom of the frame in my lightweight framepack, which moves the weight to the back of the hipbelt and off my shoulder.  I'm also running the SteelPhase amp plugged directly into the GPZ, no wireless connection between.  As per some of JP's guidance, I'm running the GPZ volume at 2, adjusting loudness at the amp.  I'm running the Threshold between 20 and 22 depending on how twitchy the ground is.  For the most part I'm running General instead of High Yield trying to reach those deeper targets.   The first 2 targets were well within the reach of the standard 14" coil, but somehow I didn't find them over the past 2 years.   The last one, doubtful for the standard coil.  As the weather cools I'll start doing a quick change to the 14" coil over new targets for a comparison.   Right now, it's still to friggin hot to bother. 

• By phrunt
      I always wondered if there was even gold around where the X-coil manufacturer lives, I didn't know much about Russian gold or if Russia even had much gold.
      Here is a video broken into parts of the Russian manufacturer showing the different capabilities of the 17x12" X-Coil between the Standard GPZ14” Minelab coil being used near high voltage power lines in Russia.
      It's good to see he is a prospector.
      Sorry about the quality of some of the parts. 
      It's a deep hole he has to dig to get it, nice soft soil though... that'd make life easier than using a jackhammer 🙂

• By IronDigger
      A lot  been said about these x coils when it comes to the zed...but in the beginning there was mention of new improved depth with x coils for the gpx users. As  a gpx user and I am probably speaking for many...any news on the performance and availability of these coils. I know I am not letting go of my 4500 anytime soon...
    • By davsgold
      Note from website admin/owner - this thread and related X Coil threads are for informational purposes only. This website and I personally do not recommend taking any actions that may damage a GPZ 7000 and cause considerable expense if done improperly or for any other reason. A blown GPZ board can cost thousands of dollars to repair and it will be on the owner for circumventing Minelabs protections put in place just to avoid such circumstances. I have nothing against any of these folks and am hosting this information in the spirit of doing just that - sharing information that may benefit some. There are significant risks however and I feel I am not remiss were I not to post this note  And so there you have it.

The manufacture of the X-Coils has made a series of short videos of making a patch lead, I don't have much data for uploads, so it maybe sometime before that all get uploaded, there are some pictures as well.  There are no speaking words so no use turning up the sound.
      He has Rosin/Flux in the dish that he dips the wires into and then applies heat with the soldering iron to remove the red varnish and other oxides, and then applies some solder to each set of wires.
      Here is the first video.
      This shows the extra shield wire attached to the blue wire

Small heat shrink tube placed over this instead of the cotton the hold into place

Ready for some hot glue

The finished patch lead, he wraps tape around for extra strength and stiffens up the patch lead

• By Jin
      The x-coils aren't water proof? Is that right?
      Was heading away for 4 days of nugget hunting in the caravan this week but it looks like it's going to rain??️
      Any thoughts on whether the rain may cause any problems to these coils?
      I know i used to detect in the poring rain with the coiltek elites and the 11" and 18" were fine but my 14" used to false when pressed against the ground. This only ever happened when it rained and i think moisture was getting in where the cable entered the coil.. I was thinking maybe taping some plastic over where the cable inters the coil on the x-coils just to be safe. 
      Any other time id just cancel and go the following week but this is the last opportunity according to my wife to go for sometime. (new puppy that will need toilet training etc)
       Im keen to try out the new x-coils and hit a spot that may soon be exempt from prospecting in a few months time.  

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, Last Sunday Simon & I headed back to the area where we were at a month ago where I had a some success with the Zed & X coil 10 x 9

We just carried on from where we left off last time all be it over ground I have hammered over the years & even with Simon we have been over it numerous times. Simon with different detectors & me with the Zed & ML 14" coil but not the X coils this far over. Simon was back on his 4500 & NF Evo coil but he knocked his sensitivity down to 13 to try to eliminate getting so many shot gun pellets. Seemed to work well for him, so on this rare occasion I got more than him.
      My first signal wasn't too long in coming. I was targeting the cracks & drop off shelf areas where there is usually a crack that gold could have dropped into. First signal was at the base of just such a little ledge drop off & schist fracture in the bed rock. note the grass growth. This isn't usually like this but I don't think the sheep are are allowed to graze in here any more. I said to Simon that if this is the case then detecting in here will get impossible as the grass really takes hold & makes it impossible to get the coil on to the ground & of course the grass loves the cracks & crevices where the roots can take hold in the deeper ground. 

The signal had moved & was in that crack.

Small though.

But no catch & release.
      Carried on & a 2nd signal came in exactly the same type situation. A little schist drop off ledge.

I actually wish I took a picture from when I first got the signal before disturbing the ground. So you could have worked out the depth. But I scraped away the dirt until I was down to the lower ledge of the schist bedrock before taking a picture. You can see where the height of the dirt was. Virtually right up to the top of that bedrock where the moss & lichen is growing. Note too the little crevice coming to light. The signal was booming but still down in that crack. 

I had the pointy end of the pick as far as it would get into that crack & the signal was still down in there. I just knew it was going to be gold.

I looked around for a long thin stick but no joy there. In a last ditch effort I positioned the pick with the handle 90 degrees to that rock face, which gave me the narrowest part of the pick to drag sideways along the crack to try to move the target. It wasn't easy but I finally managed to move it & get it out. 

It made me work for it but bingo. Out it was.

I could have sworn for the depth of the original signal that it was going to be bigger than that.
      Again on the edge of a schist drop off I got another signal. Note how the grass favors those schist crevice areas of deeper ground.

Again in the corner edge at the bottom of that drop off.

Another sassy bit of gold.

No record breakers.
      I then hit a shot gun pellet grave yard which was driving me nuts. Pellet after damn pellet. One scrape & they had moved. I should have known better than to persevere with those type signals. Another signal, one scrape & it had moved.

I hesitated about retrieving this one, but I did.  And was rewarded for doing so.

Smaller than a pellet even.
      At this point Simon came up to have a look & to swap over to his Nox 800. He lasted about 10 minutes with that as the pellets drove him crazy. He went back to the 4500 & manged to snag a bit of gold. I wandered away & had a bit of a dry spell. I was hoping for another piece before I stopped for a coffee break & a bite to eat. It took a while to come & we were having the old sleety/rain showers coming through. When I got a nice little signal.
      It was down a wee bit & ended up being in a little hollow in the schist bed rock. It didn't take long for the little hollow to fill with water as it was in a natural small gutter run off. Hence why I detected down this little depression in the ground. 

Small bit of gold it was. Well...not the smallest of the day.

I then stopped for my well earned coffee. While having my coffee I checked my phone, which was very iffy with its signal. Blow me down, a message from Steve H. So I gave a quick reply stating what Simon & I were up to. I had 5 bits at this stage & Simon one. Simon at this point wandered up for a coffee & a bite to eat as well. After our break I headed down to where Simon had started detecting. I saw a lot of over turned rocks & slabs of schist. Just below one of his area I got a good little signal.

You will notice up the right edge of the photo turned over slabs of schist from Simon. I was detecting those two cracks you can see with the grass growing in them. No surprise to me that I got a signal at the start of that one where the detector is.
      It wasn't a bad piece either. My biggest for the day.

Simon saw me taking photos & asked if I got one there. I replied that I had & he came down to see if it was an area he had been over & hadn't got. I think he was satisfied he hadn't detected that spot. My reply was, Why not? Considering those cracks were right there. Any way. That was the last one for along spell. I did get one more but no pic of that. We called it quits as we had a bit of a walk to get back to Simon's vehicle. Due to the damp conditions, Simon's vehicle wasnt ideal to have brought in here. We had to park up further back from where we would normally. The wet conditions had made the glacial silt like grease & we had actually pushed his vehicles limits getting to where we did. Despite being 4 wheel drive his tires weren't up to it. On the way out we slipped of the track into the gutter. with me pushing we managed to get back on the track & it was a very slow slippery drive back to the main road & getting dark. We made it. Whew.....
      So all up for the Zed & X coil 10 x 9 was 7 little bits for not even one gram.

This is my total of all detected gold from this area over the years. Just over two ounces & hundreds if not thousands of little pieces. The bigger bits seemed to have swum to the top.

My pellet total that I brought home. There were many that I threw away down into no mans land that would never see a detector.

Cheers.
      Good luck out there
      JW ?