Latest Thoughts On SDC Aftermarket Coils?

7 minutes ago, Sourdough Scott said:

I just got a screaming deal on a SDC 2300. So just inquiring if anyone has any more experiences with the aftermarket coiltek coils? I'm seriously thinking about getting some to make the SDC a patch hunting machine. 

Scott, Todd with the local club has the coils for his SDC.

Brian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nevada Brian said:

Scott, Todd with the local club has the coils for his SDC.

Brian.

I just spoke with Todd. He said the 10x5 elliptical was the hot ticket for him. Very sensitive. He didn't really like the 14x9 elliptical, not sensitive enough on the small gold. He didn't get the 11 inch round. So no feedback there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sourdough Scott said:

I just spoke with Todd. He said the 10x5 elliptical was the hot ticket for him. Very sensitive. He didn't really like the 14x9 elliptical, not sensitive enough on the small gold. He didn't get the 11 inch round. So no feedback there.

I think for a patch hunter, the 9x14 or the 11" would be the go coil.  For many years I used a 9x14 coil on my gpx and it worked great, especially when your crawling through the brush.  The stock 11" mono commander coil didn't fit as well around the bushes like the 9x14 did. 

Nice score on the SDC!

Brian.

I would love to hear more on the coils too!  If you get one or two let us know how well they work.   I dip mine in the water a lot so I haven’t made the jump.

Guys I second the 10x5 coil on SDC..great working in the thick bush around the rocks.  Very sensitive too.  The smaller pieces add up.

• Like 2

Gerry, where are you?

Hey Guys and Scott,

I have sold a bunch of all sizes.  Really no bad comments on any sizes.  The most popular are the small 10x5 and the larger 14x9.  The small coil is more sensitive than the stock 8" round and the larger coil is getting more depth.  I know some expect the larger coil to still maintain the same sensitivity as a smaller coil and still get more depth, but that really not how coils work.  There is always a trade off one way or another, more sensitivity/better pinpointing/less depth easier to work in tight areas for smaller coils.  The larger coils typically loose some sensitivity to smaller gold as you increase the size, but you start to gain in more depth on larger pieces of gold and more coverage per swing.  Lastly, the weight, for the most part the larger solid coils will have much more weight. 

A good bungee like the one Doc now sells - Doc’s The Amazing Qweegle™ Double Adjustment Point Bungee - $24.95

https://www.robsdetectors.com/docs-the-amazing-qweegle-double-adjustment-point-bungee/

Keep in mind also, if you purchase one of the new Coiltek Gold Extreme searchcoils for the SDC 2300, you will need one mounting and accessory kit.

The new Gold Extreme coils by Coiltek are now giving SDC owners more options they never had before with just the one standard 8" mono searchcoil.  Why Minelab don't do this originally on many of their detectors is always that "million dollar question!" :unsure:

P.S.  The new SDC coils are NOT waterproof, just water resistant. 

Wishing you all the best of success out there!

Rob Allison

9 minutes ago, Rob Allison said:

P.S.  The new SDC coils are NOT waterproof, just water resistant.

This is where I hope Coiltek is listening.  They only went after one niche.  These have huge potential for creek and beach detecting, if only they were water proof.  Matter of fact the whole machine could still be!

• Like 1