Latest Thoughts On SDC Aftermarket Coils?

Scott the never skunk sdc is the best creek hunting bedrock detector out there.  I used to use the 8x6 NF coil and 5000 combo, but the sdc cleans up on flat small, low conductive gold we find in creeks. The 5000 just didnt hear a lot of these targets for whatever reason.  The factory sdc coil is hard to beat and very waterproof.  Ive had mine in the creeks the last 3 years snipe- detecting and no ill effects.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, WesD said:

Scott the never skunk sdc is the best creek hunting bedrock detector out there.  I used to use the 8x6 NF coil and 5000 combo, but the sdc cleans up on flat small, low conductive gold we find in creeks. The 5000 just didnt hear a lot of these targets for whatever reason.  The factory sdc coil is hard to beat and very waterproof.  Ive had mine in the creeks the last 3 years snipe- detecting and no ill effects.

Wes, thanks for the input. Hope all is well with you. Haven't seen you in a long time. 

• Like 1

The standard coil is deadly on small gold...no need for another coil unless the SDC is your only detector and you want to go deeper. I know you have a 7000 so my recommendation would be to hold on to your money and just use the 2300 as it is for a while...its a fun machine that handles the ground very well. Super easy to pinpoint small fly dropping nuggets etc...  Turn on and go type of machine. Lisa uses ours most of the time and I thought of getting her another coil but for the amount of time we detect (she just had neck surgery) I'm on hold for the moment. Don't forget to show us dreamers your gold :smile:

strick

• Like 3

Scott,

Todd and I have been testing his SDC with the new coils. True the small coil is great. However we still plan to test the bigger coil to make sure it is not messed up. Just been to biz to get it done. I did find a .15gram with his unit first time I used it lol. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Steve, Agree no great surprise. It does illustrate that there are definitely different horses for courses. It’s interesting the niche the stock SDC fills in a place like Rye Patch which has been hit hard for decades with every generation of VLF and PI machine but it seems that even with all of the improvements in technology there are still a significant number of smaller nuggets that all other machines seem to miss.

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

Historically so far from sales, the Coiltek Gold Extreme 10x5 and 14x9 have been the best sellers.  This makes perfect sense, as many want better sensitivity to small gold, so the 10x5 is the ticket for that, plus works in tight spots and pinpoints well.  That being said, the 8" stock coil is super sensitive also in my opinion, I found hundreds of dinks on bedrock and on shallow ground before going strictly with the GPZ 7000.  

The Coiltek Gold Extreme 14x9 is great for more coverage overall and more depth on larger gold.  It's a general rule of thumb when you increase the diameter overall of any searchcoil, that you will loose some sensitivity to the very small gold, but increase in depth on mid to larger gold.  

I do wish Coiltek would have just made them waterproof, as some people want to snipe and dive with them.  In my opinion, if the coils were all waterproof, sales would have increased at least 25% overall.  

I used to use the Minelab SDC 2300 specifically for hiking and prospecting in remote areas.  The SDC ability to fold up and fit in a mid sized backpack allows this.  It allows a prospector to have full use of their hands while climbing and hiking and not have to carry a detector fully assembled the entire time.  

• Like 3