Sourdough Scott

Latest Thoughts On SDC Aftermarket Coils?

Great report BMesenko, that's the kind of stuff people can use. It should not surprise as the trade between coil size, target size, coverage, and depth is generally known. No free lunches unfortunately. Thanks! 👍

• Like 2

Steve, Agree no great surprise. It does illustrate that there are definitely different horses for courses. It’s interesting the niche the stock SDC fills in a place like Rye Patch which has been hit hard for decades with every generation of VLF and PI machine but it seems that even with all of the improvements in technology there are still a significant number of smaller nuggets that all other machines seem to miss.

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

Historically so far from sales, the Coiltek Gold Extreme 10x5 and 14x9 have been the best sellers.  This makes perfect sense, as many want better sensitivity to small gold, so the 10x5 is the ticket for that, plus works in tight spots and pinpoints well.  That being said, the 8" stock coil is super sensitive also in my opinion, I found hundreds of dinks on bedrock and on shallow ground before going strictly with the GPZ 7000.  

The Coiltek Gold Extreme 14x9 is great for more coverage overall and more depth on larger gold.  It's a general rule of thumb when you increase the diameter overall of any searchcoil, that you will loose some sensitivity to the very small gold, but increase in depth on mid to larger gold.  

I do wish Coiltek would have just made them waterproof, as some people want to snipe and dive with them.  In my opinion, if the coils were all waterproof, sales would have increased at least 25% overall.  

I used to use the Minelab SDC 2300 specifically for hiking and prospecting in remote areas.  The SDC ability to fold up and fit in a mid sized backpack allows this.  It allows a prospector to have full use of their hands while climbing and hiking and not have to carry a detector fully assembled the entire time.  

• Like 3

A good comparison of the standard SDC 8" coil & Coiltek 5"x10" here:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=516234#p516234

Les, who made the vid, offers no opinion & leaves it to the viewers discretion to decide. IMO they are very close & the main factor is the ellipticals ability to "nose" into areas. 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Filmalaska
      Howdy,
      Can anyone recommend where to buy a headphone adapter for Minelab’s proprietary headphone jack?
      thanks,
      Morgan

• By WesD
      I saw some of the guys in Australia make a Trumpet to deflect the sound upward from the speaker on the sdc. Great idea, but shipping was a bit much, so I cut a 90 pcv fitting in half and used velcroe to attach.  Cheap little project and does add a noticeable increase in sound coming up from the speaker.

• By vanursepaul
      Anyone have any ideas why an SDC2300  may not be powering up??
      We have used 2 different sets of batteries that work fine in another unit.
      Not much to troubleshoot except the batteries and off/on switch.        {{{SOLVED}}}}}}}
      Was working fine when it was last used. 
      Hate to send it to Minelab---they may be tiring of me….. 😏
    • By strick
      So I have had two very experienced older prospectors tell me that they don't like the 2300 because the threshold warbles. In other words it is not stable. It does not really matter which setting you use it still has a slight warble to it. Since I am new to prospecting I just kinda figured this was normal for the Minelab PI's They tell me that their 4500 and 5000 have a nice stable threshold which allows them to hear the faint signal's better. Therefore they don't have to use as much gray matter trying to figure out a target.  I have sometimes wondered  if I am missing small pieces of gold because of this. But then again I have found some very small pieces with the 2300. So my question is....is this normal for the SDC 2300 or is something wrong with both of my machines?   I'm guessing normal.  A few nuggets found during the last couple weeks. Biggest is .52 grams
      strick

• By phoenix
      I saw the prototype of the first coil that will be released for the 2300.  10x5"  The tester really likes it and apparently it is dynamite on the jagged bits.   And the main  thing I wanted in these new coils, it is centre mount .  I will probably start using my 2300 a bit more 
    • By afreakofnature
      I would like to start a thread of peoples opinions on what they found between these two machines with various coils.  I love my SDC and have found my biggest and smallest gold with it (8”).  My GPZ has definitely gone deeper for gold (14”).  I am about even on the total count for each, weight a being different story.
      I understand that if you only have one detector then you want coil options, but if you got both I wonder what would be a better bang for your buck?  A 10” Xcoil at $1000 or a 11”Coiltek at $310.  Thats if they compare at depth and sensitivity.
      Norvic I would love for you to state your opinions here, you seem to have the most on thses just based on other posts.