Equinox " Tells "

In the town I live there was a civil war battle/skirmish...depends on who you talk to. It started approx 7 miles north of town that morning crossed over a creek, a branch and a river then thru town before ending up on the SE parts of town at dark. We still have two parks that both had fighting take place in them. We are able to hunt the parks but with that said they are littered with pop tabs, beaver tails,ect. and have been hunted like most parks to death.

Hunting with an Etrac in the past you got a tell by the ferrous number while looking for lead. We need all the info we can get. What we have discovered with the Equinox is the numbers will jump around on lead...a lot. The pull tabs will lock on solid but the especially smaller roundballs will hit both ways and sound good but the numbers will not lock down. 

My son just got his Equinox 800 yesterday and we did a short hunt in one of the parks. I just got a good hit when he arrived and he was able to listen to it before we dig it and out came a nice round ball. I ended up with 3 more but smaller ones. He called me earlier this evening with his first relic find with the Equinox. Just as before he said numbers all over but good sound both ways and out came a nice round ball. 

I was wondering if you guys had any similar experience with yours. I've dug quite a few round balls so far and you can just about guarantee when you're going to dig lead. 

A tell is a tell to me no matter how it works. Whether the ferrous number is a little lower or the numbers jump.around, I like it. The Equinox definitely has a "tell" for lead. 

Here's some of the lead I've dug the last few hunts in one of the parks. Good luck and HH!

Still pk1 recovery7 iron bias 3 

15645487797843298225312285389797.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Here in the middle of Illinois I searched a local beach and also noticed the numbers jump all over the place in side to side and front to back motion.

Not knowing what it was I dug it up! Turned out to be a bullet impact into the sand about a 9mm size.

It was located about 6 inches below the ground but gave a good signal while jumping from a 4 to a 15 in all directions.

I think it may have something to do the the minerals in the ground, but being new to this I just don't know for sure.

• Like 1

I've never hunted the beach so I don't know anything about that. I think you made the right move when it sounded good both ways and you dug it up. Good luck and HH!!

• Like 1