Are Tesoro Detectors Good For Beach And Wet Sand

Hi All,

I am looking to get a Tesoro very soon as I had one years ago (Laser Scout - UK version)  but I'm torn between a Tesoro Cibola and Vanquero.

Also are these machines good on dry beaches also how about wet sand?  Is the C better than the V and if anyone can help?

I'm hoping some members here may have some information as to help me on this subject.

Many thanks Phrunt for this info, as I was informed that the factory closed but still a lot of members have the Tesoro and if I could not get a newish one would settle for a second hand one off fleabay or some other detecting website. Thanks again for the link.

I have used my Tejon at the beach a few time and it is a higher frequency than the Vequero and both have the HOT coils (high output transmitter). The Tejon worked very well on dry sand but as soon as I hit damp sand I needed to keep checking my ground balance and wet sand was simply impossible as the gb was out of range. The Vequero is similar but it's lower frequency I would assume it would do a bit better. I had used the stock concentric coil which probably didn't help. Thinking that the 5x10 elliptical might fair better (one the Lobo Supertraq ships with) as it is supposed to handle mineralization better.

One thing to really consider is these machines are not sealed so expect corrosion on the boards if used extensively near the salt. With that being said and the factory closed you may have to either try to do repairs yourself or try to find parts which both may be impossible. I use my Tejon the most but no longer at the beach.

There is the Sandshark which is a PI and the Tigershark which is a VLF that has a salt mode but performance on the Tigershark will get you maybe 8" down on a good day? Prices on those machines you could get yourself a Garret SeaHunter Mk2 which I have and really like. In the similar price range is the Makro Multi-Kruzer, Equinox 600. Next tier up gets you into the Nokta Amphibio and Equinox 800 which would be the most versatile and stable in the VLF class.

Tesoro detectors will do as well on the saltwater beach as any single frequency detector but not as well as multifrequency. There is the Tesoro Sand Shark PI (no discrimination) for saltwater use and it's waterproof.

Since Tesoro is dead and gone I will go ahead and point out what I think is a better option that just became available, and possibly for less than the cost of even a used Tesoro.

• Like 1

Hi,

I love Tesoro detectors, always have and always will. That being said Steve is right. There are better options especially if you will spend a lot of time in freshwater and saltwater environments. The link that Steve provided would be a good option. Also, a used Makro Kruzer or Multi Kruzer would work well too along with a used multi frequency Minelab Equinox 600 or even an old FBS Minelab Explorer if you want to get a real forearm, bicep and tricep workout. You should be able to find one of these for less the $500 US.

If you are dead set on a Tesoro (I definitely can understand that!!!) I have owned both the Vaquero and the Cibola and used them in saltwater, freshwater and high mineralization dirt. For some reason????  even using the same coil, the Vaquero was more difficult to tame in extreme conditions than the Cibola. I know some people modded their Vaqueros with 10 turn ground balance pots to help fine tuning them for difficult conditions. Mine just seemed to be more susceptible to EMI and ground noise whereas the Cibolas I used worked just as well with a lot less chattiness and noise in the same environments . The Cibola might have been a little less deep but not much. If I was just inconsolable and had to buy a used Tesoro it would be a Cibola. Just my opinions from experience.

Jeff

Simplex looks like a really good machine, forgot about that.

As for the Vequero being hard to gb in high mineralized ground it might be the HOT circuit as I have similar issues with my Tejon that is just a higher frequency version with dual board. My Tejon also would get a little vague on signal and hard to gb if the batteries were half dead. I started to use some lipo batteries for it and the machine is amazing.

The Cibola also has the H. O. T. circuitry. Somehow, Tesoro got the fixed ground balance settings just about right for the places I detected, many or which are very tough for most fixed ground balance detectors.

Jeff

I don't think Simplex is multi frequency so I don't know how it will do on a beach. 

I know this is about the original poster's request for information about the Vaquero and the Cibola, but the boss linked this thread to the Simplex so.......  If the Simplex operates as well as any other fully waterproof single frequency VLF detector at salt beaches at less than half their price and even less than a used Vaquero or new Cibola, it seems to me that Nokta/Makro might be on to something.

Jeff

4 hours ago, Dig-a-holic said:

I don't think Simplex is multi frequency so I don't know how it will do on a beach. 

As good or better as any single frequency Tesoro but brand new with warranty and probably for less money. I noted multifrequency is better but people have detected saltwater for ages with single frequency. It’s not like single frequency does not work, but I do think multi is better for salt.