Are Tesoro Detectors Good For Beach And Wet Sand

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

As good or better as any single frequency Tesoro but brand new with warranty and probably for less money. I noted multifrequency is better but people have detected saltwater for ages with single frequency. It’s not like single frequency does not work, but I do think multi is better for salt.

I used a Mojave on the beach in NC back in March and found a silver dime. Went onto the wet sand and it wasn't that chatty though I had switched the GB to high. I went back to same beach in July and could not do anything with it on wet sand. Don't know why the change. Only difference was warmer temps and a lot more people.

As far as the Cibola and Vequero are concerned I would go with the Vequero as you can adjust the ground balance which is a must in the salt because the ground changes drastically as you approach the wet. Lower frequencies do better and as a comparison I can run my AT Pro in the wet without too much trouble but it gets chattery while my Tejon I can't even get close to the wet. Difference is only 2.5khz between the machines. My buddy has the AT Max and has no issues with the wet sand and has much more stability and his machine is 2khz lower than the AT Pro. Bang for the buck in the price range of AT series I think the Makro Multi Kruzer would do better as you can select frequencies and it has a beach mode. I don't know what the Simplex has but if it has a fixed frequency less than 15kz it is really worth taking a look at especially at the price they are offering.  Not sure if there are any descent videos of it in the salt and how it performs.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kac said:

I don't know what the Simplex has but if it has a fixed frequency less than 15kz it is really worth taking a look at especially at the price they are offering. 

12 kHz which I am sure was chosen for stability in saltwater as lower than what they have done in the past. And for $254 waterproof with full warranty... heck, I've paid more for coils than that! I don't want to sound like I am pushing the machine though and anybody would be wise to wait until it's out and reviews come in from beach hunters. It's just the price is truly amazing. It's so low as to be a trivial purchase for all but anyone on the tightest of budgets.

• Like 2

I've used my Tejon on dry sand with great results, but it's useless over wet salt sand.

My Mojave does a lot better on wet salt sand with the 7" stock coil and the High Mineralization setting. It does start to chatter if you put a larger coil on it, though. But the 7" is really stable and has found me some nice targets.

The Simplex does sound like a promising option, but we'll have to wait and see if it continues Nokta/Makro's track record of producing good machines. 

Despite Tesoro closing up shop, I admit I'm still really tempted to pick up a Sand Shark for water hunting. It may not be the most rational choice but... Tesoros are like potato chips: it's hard to stop at just one!

-Ken

• Like 5