Sign in to follow this  
Dan(NM)

Productive Summer Hunt

14 minutes ago, StevenB said:

That site looks awesome!  I dug an identical heart "rosette" earlier this year at an old home site, and found all kinds of conflicting information online about its age and use.  Then I flipped open my 1929 Montgomery Ward catalog and lo and behold I found the answer (see photo).  It's actually a buckle cover, not a rosette.  Mystery solved!

IMG_20190331_220944793.jpg

Excellent work, that's just too cool!!

Neat finds!

Nice finds there Dan!

I like the “Shell and Flame” insignia Ordnance Corps bits.  I found an Ordinance officers coat button at a Civil War Union Army camp we hunt, so far, it's the only one we've dug there, and we've dug hundreds of mid 1800's buttons there (and god only knows how many 3-ringers). 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By strick
      Nothing great to report...been doing very little detecting...made it up to the foot hills a couple times searching for that gold coin but it was not to be...raining and windy here in N. Calif this morning.. The Henry Clay pendant is kinda cool learn something new every day with this hobby. Stay safe out there! 
      strick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Clay

• By dogodog
      Thursday I decided to hunt a 1/4 acre patch of woods near a old 18th century hotel. When I first started in I noticed a couple of old detecting holes, which had me a little discouraged. Good thing I didn't leave, because after finding the complimentary trash I got a real good hit an dug it. To my amazement it was an 1864 indian head cent. Another 20 minutes later I scored on a colonial button and two old harness buckles. Off to the next spot another woodlot. I was headed across a rather large field swinging as I was headed to the woods and bingo, a great tone. Rifle shell casing in the bag. I walked 30 yards and again a good solid hit. Another indian head cent this time a 1902. Needless to say I never did make it to the woods. When I got home and looked at the shell case, it was a very rare REM-UMC head stamped  256 Newton. These were produced from 1916 to 1921. They were made from old 30-06 brass after WW1 and I believe were replaced by the more popular 25-06. Oddly I was more excited over the shell case. I think its time to grid the field cause its huge. Also it's pretty nice to snipe an 1864 coin from a recently hunted spot!

• By Tnsharpshooter
      Hunted a patch today, very challenging.  I have spent a lot of time in this patch.  Testing detectors and using detectors.  It is loaded with iron nails.  Part of old settlement t dates back to late 1700s.
      Speed 5 and auto GB used in all modes today.  Where multi freq was used speed 5 used and iron bias FE2 set to 0.  So I plugged in 40 kHz into park 1.  Used it to locate all targets.  Would toggle and check with park 2 and also prospecting mode 1.
      Found a total of 15 nonferrous targets.  Crosschecking I would not have dug all the targets based on park 2 signals or the signals behavior.  Prospecting  1 mode did better than park2 generally.
      Use of the single freq 40 kHz tamed the Nox,  I could keep my sanity moreso, less falsing.  Some located targets did infact sound better using Park 2.  But lot easier to get over using 40 kHz in this site today.
      Now this site has seen previously EQX action running multi freq using park 2 and field 2.  I never have found 15 nonferrous previously in this area using park 2 and field 2 using multi.  Also loads of Deus action previously by me in this site too, even Hf coils.
      Just thought I would share.  I plan to try this strategy again soon in another iron laden site just across the road from site I detected today.  When I go there on all located 40khz targets I will check all using park 2, field 2 and prospecting 1 modes using multi freq.
      Cheers.
    • By Mark Gillespie
      Finally got to hunt a little at a 150 year old church, with permission.  Spent an hour surveying the boundary around this old church, but didn't find the hot spot I was looking for.  But all is not lost, I have permission to hunt anytime.  Next trip, I hope to hunt closer to the actual church but need to ask and make sure it is okay.  Now some might ask, what exactly is the hot spot you are looking for?  An area where the church members (75-150 years ago) might have gathered for outdoor events and picnics.   That being said, I've pondered on what the little shaft with gears might be.  Maybe some kind of wind up device!

• By kac
      Was poking around some woods, found this 2 cent 1864 in some pretty heavy iron and this metal plate from something near a very old cellar hole. Think the foundation dates to the 1700's but was occupied through 1900's. Lots of iron, tin sheets and heavy brush so was tough to navigate. I can't seem to find anything about the company. Says Charles A. Miller Co. Maybe from a folding chair or something??