GKman

Quick Lunchtime Hunt Recovers Seated Half Dime

GKman

That’s a great find . I see one little mark to the left of the date but other than that it’s in great condition.

That’s a great lunch break. You should take more like that more often.

Chuck 

Excellent find, and very nice condition as RR said, GKman!  Thanks for the video and also reporting your settings.  It's hard to quantify amplitude of sound, but did you have to listen really hard to hear it or was it pretty clear?  I'm impressed with the depth.  Do you recall what gain/sensitivity you were running?

GB Amateur  You were asking how strong the signal on the half dime. I can hear a signal 10 feet away and just about tell you what it is plus the date. Then I turn around and my wife is standing next to me saying something. The funny thing I can’t understand a word she’s saying.

Chuck 

Haha. Thanks Guys. My sensitivity was at the usual 25 for this site.  The signal was pretty clear,although weaker which is a big plus since deeper is almost always older  at this site(compared to fields where you can find a large cent on the surface). I get excited when I hear that, then doubly excited when the pinpoint area is really tight. I am going back to that same area today to double check. Yesterday I was almost late getting back to work.

Great find Gary. I know what you mean about depth. The two pics below show a 1953 wheat penny I dug two days ago. For those not familiar with the Wilcox 202 trowel, it is 14 inches long and the penny was found in the bottom of the hole. 

54DE5FDF-ECB0-442C-A800-D1116AFC388E.jpeg

CA84DD4F-640B-4B40-A238-65B4054C7B2A.jpeg

Nice depth there too!

SUPER dig!  I love those Seated coins, and the half dimes don't turn up regularly, that's for sure!

NICE!

Steve

Sweet!! Congrats!

Nice recovery, seateds are always welcome in my finds pouch! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By 2Valen
      Today I had to go to the dentist, which I totally hate, and by the time I finally got back home I didn't have much time before company was to arrive.
      So I had about 25 minutes to kill and thought I would get rid of more trash from the back yard, so I can put in a test garden.
      First hole I dug looked like a freeze plug from the 1920's. Throw it away!
      Second hole I dug up a quarter down about 6 inches. KEEPER!!!
      Third hole I dug down about 5 inches and I think it came off a bicycle or something. Throw it away!
      Forth hole I dug I had to go down about 6 inches and found a penny. KEEPER!!!!!!!!
      Did I forget to mention that it is a 1889 Indian Head Penny!!!
      Then my company shows up and asks what am I so excited about as I run the penny under the faucet to get the mud off it.
      I simply dried it off and laid it on the table and he almost fell over. Now he wants to buy a metal detector and go with me.
      He asks where did I find the penny and I told him in the back yard. For 2 hours he kept asking me where did I go to find the penny and I kept telling him in the back yard.
      Before he left I showed him the hole that I found it in and then I filled it back in and only then he believed me.
      I knew that I had bought an old church, but the old grounds keeper who is a neighbor told me that it was the new church that we are now living in.
      So there has been 2 churches on this property plus an old house that was torn down over the past 125 years.
      I am going to have to check this place out more carefully every week and get rid of all the trash from the yard. Off to buy more grass seed just in case.
      I finally broke the 1900 mark and I couldn't be more excited.
      I wish to thank GB_Amateur for all his help and the settings that he shared with a novice like me. I would also like to thank this forum for all the help and input you have given me.

• By 57buick
      I have been digging nothing but trash most of the summer and modern clad coins. Been a frustrating season. But I finally hit a small honey pot of an area.
      We have a historic park and residence thats been used for almost 200 years. and its several acres. I know that literally hundreds of detectorists have been combing this park for decades, they say theres nothing left there.
      Well, I beg to differ. I have started probing into the least likely areas that most detectorists wouldn't venture into and it paid off the first day. I spent an hour digging stuff just along a 50 foot strip from the car, one modern coin, one really old pull tab etc every 2 feet until I flipped one plug to find 4 coins! 1907 Barber quarter, 1923 Mercury dime, a buffalo nickel(no date), and a 1919 wheatie. continued to dig clad quarters and pennys every 2 feet then a diamond ring, says 18k in the band. Then to top it off dug up this old token from a billiards room, did some  research and it was a members only billiards room that ended in the 1920's in town.
      This one 50 foot strip of grass wore me out lol but I guarantee I will be back next weekend. Even the modern clad was all from the 60's and 70's so thats promising. And some might disagree but as long as I'm digging super old 1960's pull tabs that is still promising to me this area isn't over hunted yet.

• By kac
      Took my AT Pro out in the water and didn't have too much so I hit an area near where I found some flying eagles and came across these.
      IH is 1881, the nickel is a shield 1866. Will hit that area more this fall when the undergrowth is down more, same with the water as the weeds were too thick to swing.

• By RobNC
      Was a rough week at work and needed to unwind. Have been metal detecting when I could since my vehicle accident in April.
      Today me and my wife went to a place I secured permission to earlier this year. Not been able to get there until today. The grass was grown up about 3 inches here and I broke out my Tekentics T2 factory coil. It SUCKED. Skipped right over the 1963 quarter in the photo below. I could not believe it when I dug this one. That silver was beautiful. The Cors Shrew is no joke. This little coil has made me very happy. Went on to find a 1939 mercury dime and 1951 rosie silver dime! This is the most silver I've found in the last 16 yrs. The only other silver I found was back in 2003 and it was a single worn mercury dime. I also found a couple buttons, a 1944 or 1945 nickel and a 1926 wheat penny.
      I love my Teknetics T2SE. It's an amazing piece of equipment. With that Cors coil, it's a beast. Worth every penny.

• By kac
      Found this one in between some tree roots, surprised it has the detail it has. The rough edge I was hoping it was a pine tree but still cool find.

• By 2Valen
      On Thursday I went to search for more coins in a local park and in just 15 minutes I came across this Indian Head penny.
      I would like to know the best way to clean this coin so I may have it placed in a frame and hang it on a wall.
      This is the oldest coin that I have found to date, and it even beat out a 1924 dime that I found within 15 feet of where I found this penny.
      It had a lot of mud on it when I dug it up so I ran some water on it and found the date.
      This penny was wedged between 2 roots standing on edge and about 8 inches down. I had a ID number of 19 in one direction and a 20 in another direction so I decided to dig it up.
      I used the settings that another member showed me a week earlier when we met in Casey, IL. and I am sorry for not knowing the settings off the top of my head to put them in here.
      Please if someone knows a way to clean this up I would greatly appreciate your knowledge.
      I guess I am starting to get the hang of this Equinox 800 and I can only hope that this is just the beginning of a long and wonderful relationship of metal detecting.
      Valen