Equinox Charger Advice Please

Smithobx

The Nox manual suggests a minimum charger output of 1.7 amps for a charger but does not give a safe maximum output. I have chargers with 2.4 amps and 3.4 amps. I think the 2.4 amp charger is ok to use but concerned that the 3.4 amp charger might be too hot and damage the battery although it does charge the Nox  much faster than the 2.4. I have just replace the earbuds I have been using because I used a charger greater than the 1 amp maximum recommended (note to self: always read the users manual even if you think you know what you’re doing). So, do you folks think the 3.4 amp charger is safe to use or not?   John 

I don't use a charger that is over 2 amps but that is just me. I also don't see any problem using a 1.5 or 1 amp charger if it is a good quality charger despite what Minelab recommends. It will just take longer.

No problem using the higher rated (3A) charger, the battery will only draw as much current as it needs to charge properly as that is controlled by the Equinox internal charge controller (will draw about 1.7A+ max). A higher rated charger (>>1.7A) won’t force too much current into the battery and will not damage it and will give you the quickest charge time and typically has robust current limiting circuits to self-protect against overheating. ML does not recommend the lower rated chargers at about 1A because their internal current limiting circuits are often a mixed bag (cheap designs) and they may allow higher currents to be drawn by the Equinox such that they could overheat.  Otherwise, if they do properly limit current to prevent charger overheating, the only drawback is the longer charge times as stated above.  Computer USB ports are typically strictly limited to 0.5 A and are usually safe to use for charging but of course the charge times will be even longer.  HTH

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

No problem using the higher rated (3A) charger, the battery will only draw as much current as it needs to charge properly as that is controlled by the Equinox internal charge controller (will draw about 1.7A+ max). A higher rated charger (>>1.7A) won’t force too much current into the battery and will not damage it and will give you the quickest charge time and typically has robust current limiting circuits to self-protect against overheating. ML does not recommend the lower rated chargers at about 1A because their internal current limiting circuits are often a mixed bag (cheap designs) and they may allow higher currents to be drawn by the Equinox such that they could overheat.  Otherwise, if they do properly limit current to prevent charger overheating, the only drawback is the longer charge times as stated above.  Computer USB ports are typically strictly limited to 0.5 A and are usually safe to use for charging but of course the charge times will be even longer.  HTH

So, the 3.4 amp charger will not harm the battery but will not charge any faster than say a 2 amp charger. As my impression that the 3.4 amp charger was faster than the 2.4 amp charger was purely anecdotal and in no way scientific, I can accept that. That being the case then it seems the prudent thing to do is go with the 2.4 amp charger to be on the safe side. Thanks to all for the input. 

• Like 1

Does the 3.4 A charger have multiple usb ports?  If so, then it is probably just saying it can split 3.4 A across multiple ports (e.g., 1.7 A per port if there are two).  But, yeah, going with the 2.4 A charger should be good enough to give you the  maximum charge rate