Another Great Lunchtime Find 1779 Spanish One Reale

GKman

Hello Folks
Today I went back to the spot I had dug the 1857 Seated Half Dime at lunchtime yesterday. I wasn't expecting much but decided to further test drive the different Equinox settings to see if I could get anything else from the site. At this site I frequently walk away with nothing in my pouch and so I didn't have very high expectations for today either, especially after yesterdays find. Eventually I came upon a decent deep signal and out popped a wheat cent. A wheat cent is nothing to write home about for me and I frequently joke about reburying them and Indians Head cents until they grow up in to Large Cents. Sort of Catch and Release for Detecting. But, anyhow I was impressed with the depth of the coin. I worked my way back to the Seated site, but there was a Looky Loo nearby, so I didn't recheck that exact area as much as I would have liked. I then started working my way back to my vehicle and got a decent signal. Now this signal, at this site, is almost always a bottle cap, but something about it, partially curiosity and the proximity to the Seated coin made me decide to dig it up. One barely shovelful and  out popped a holed 1779 One Reale. Amazing. I have only dug one other 1/2 Reale at this site so I don't know who is looking down at me these past couple of days, but Thank You!
Video just as I recovered the Reale

HH

Obverse.jpg

Reverse.jpg

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Great find.

I know you listed the actual settings in the seated thread (Park 1, 50 tones, RS 3, IB 2) but what did you actually change vs. what you were running before? Also, are you running a 600 or 800?  Thx.

Thanks

An 800, Usually Field 2, 5 Tones, Recovery Speed 7, IB usually the same, sometime lower, sometimes 3. I find lots of great stuff with those settings too. Don't post them all though. My tests wasn't scientific in anyway, but sure is strange to dig two silver back to back at this site...
Today I dug a fatty Indian.. Still drying the sweat off in my office haha..Typically I don't post many things like that anymore though. 

• Like 3

On 8/1/2019 at 2:06 PM, GKman said:

Now this signal, at this site, is almost always a bottle cap, but something about it, partially curiosity and the proximity to the Seated coin made me decide to dig it up.

With the old coins you're finding, I wouldn't try and press my luck 'guessing' when it's a bottle cap.  Keep up the good work!  On the weekends do you go out there at lunchtime, too.  ?

36 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

With the old coins you're finding, I wouldn't try and press my luck 'guessing' when it's a bottle cap.  Keep up the good work!  On the weekends do you go out there at lunchtime, too.  ?

Ha, I do.

I have dug piles of bottle caps there. You could spend the rest of your life digging them. This coin  was such an anomaly.

Awesome find!!!!! Congrats.  I'd love to dig one.

I have not seen a post yet, of any reales dug here in So Cal.  

1 hour ago, Happa54 said:

Awesome find!!!!! Congrats.  I'd love to dig one.

I have not seen a post yet, of any reales dug here in So Cal.  

I grew up in San Diego, but the Navy put me in DC and Virginia.  Love the Colonial and CW history here on the East Coast, but always wondered what could be found on trails associated with the Spanish Missionaries in California.  If Reales are to be found it would probably be associated with the missions.