Details please, were you hunting in the rain, drop it in a creek, spill a after hunt beer on it or what? 

Sorry to hear that. I could tell tales of my bad luck with waterproof detectors but don’t want to act like it’s something to be expected. My failures were mostly new units though so dunking machines while under warranty is a good idea if underwater use is an expectation at any time in the future.

• Like 4

That was the first time it had been dunked. I figured something out the other day I really like shallow water hunting...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

My failures were mostly new units though so dunking machines while under warranty is a good idea if underwater use is an expectation at any time in the future.

That makes sense. Time to give my Equinox a full bath in the lake. If it leaks I'll get a break. If it doesn't I'll buy a scoop.

Calabash, sorry for your setback. From what I've read, ML will have your back if your warranty is still in place.

• Like 1

The last new waterproof machine I bought I filled my bathtub up and weighted the new detector with dive weights and left 24 hours. And good news Scott is you will have a brand new unit ASAP I am sure. But a test like I am describing can allow a person to pick the time of failure a little more than getting surprised. Does not mean it will not fail down the road, but I am serious. I had two detectors, two different brands rated to 100 ft plus, have water literally pour into them first time in water. The first was on a two week trip to Hawaii and ruined my plans, and I never travel to a remote location like that now without a backup. A EQ 600 is cheap insurance and will work as well in salt as the 800.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the details, I’m not a water hunter but do occasionally do a beach hunt. Sorry you’ve had this problem but my experience with the service center has been very good. I enjoy your Equinox videos. 

• Like 1

Bad luck . Is that the second time that's happened to you ? I have now heard of 4 or 5 that have leaked .

Why are they leaking and where ? If the connections are tight and the battery seal is good and the unit is all sealed and cannot be fixed if it goes wrong , then how can it leak ?

1 hour ago, Nuke em said:

Bad luck . Is that the second time that's happened to you ? I have now heard of 4 or 5 that have leaked .

Why are they leaking and where ? If the connections are tight and the battery seal is good and the unit is all sealed and cannot be fixed if it goes wrong , then how can it leak ?

First time leak for Calabash. 

There is apparently some sort of manufacturing defect vulnerability (perhaps an improperly sealed plastic seam or battery/connector O-ring defect) that is not being caught by their quality screening process, based on the fact that it usually becomes evident on the first or second submersion.  The fact that most other units work fine after repeated underwater use, implies an otherwise sound design. Very small number of units have been reported to encounter this.  Nevertheless, hope ML has been taking note and plugging any gaps in their manufacturing and quality control processes that could be contributing to this.

Makes sense for folks who do intend to use their Equinoxes in water eventually, to dunk them and find out sooner rather than later whether there is an issue so it ca be taken care of under warranty and in a manner such that it doesn't impact a planned water outing.

• Like 3