Mine leaked too. It was about 1 month old and the second time I used it submerged just below the screen. Walked up on the beach out of the water and it started malfunctioning and the speaker made noice for hours after I was home. Now about 3 months old and my coil ear cracked.... Sigh... wish minelab would step up their game a little bit on this machine. Once this is out of warranty, it’s going to be a big problem with all these issues. I came from the CTX, didn’t have any issues. 

I left mine soaking in a cold bath overnight last night just to be sure, it spent about 12 hours in there, still working fine today.  🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lepreshawn said:

Mine leaked too. It was about 1 month old and the second time I used it submerged just below the screen. Walked up on the beach out of the water and it started malfunctioning and the speaker made noice for hours after I was home. Now about 3 months old and my coil ear cracked.... Sigh... wish minelab would step up their game a little bit on this machine. Once this is out of warranty, it’s going to be a big problem with all these issues. I came from the CTX, didn’t have any issues. 

Likely manufacturing defect of some sort affecting a small number of users.  Folks just need to make sure they dunk test their units before the warranty expires as it will fail within the first or second submersion, if at all.  Not something you have to worry about cropping up later if you successfully tested it.  Otherwise, you only need worry about making sure the battery compartment o-rings remain intact if you disturb them to remove or replace the battery down the road.  To stave off long term corrosion problems,  make sure you thoroughly rinse off any salt water residue use fresh water following any use in salt water.  

The coil ear thing is unfortunate and I have heard that happening when the coil is under stress in water use too.  They seem to be doing a balancing act between providing a light weight coil design and material strength.  I agree we will have to see just how durable the Equinox is for the long haul.

Believe me, the CTX had some serious watertight integrity design issues early on that were finally addressed by ML.  But folks having to use big rubber bands to keep the battery compartment from becoming unlatched seems like a kludgey solution.  Consider yourself lucky that you did not encounter those with your CTX.

Interesting theory - if it doesn’t leak in dunk 1 or dunk 2 - you are in the clear.

Time will tell if the theory “holds water” or holds it out.

• Like 1

The (various forum) reported failures have been following this pattern.  But as you and I have discussed elsewhere, yeah, at this point it is only a theory.  Agree, that time will tell if shock or regular wear and tear will cause subsequent late in life failures due to design shortcomings, but that is not the current failure pattern based on anecdotal reports.  

Time to cue up the IP 67 test rig graphic...:wink:

• Like 1

It would be interesting if Plexus, who actually makes this thing does lot sampling testing for waterproofness, No doubt 100 percent testing would be silly, but surely there is lot sampling to ensure that the previously qualified design and assembly are production ready - as well a subsequent lot sampling to assure that there has been no deviation from the qualified process.

Of course - we are very unlikely to get that information.  Funny though, when I was responsible for contracting to supply hardware to a customer or subcontracting for the purchase of hardware, the terms of the contracts were carefully drafted to specify initial qualification testing and ongoing lot sampling testing - including the steps required to re-qualify the processes in the event of testing failure.

Of course rocket engine valves which flowed 3000 psi liquid hydrogen cost a lot more than mass market electronic devices.

I consider it likely that Chase’s summary of the situation is correct and that it is a sort of “infant mortality” issue - but the 3 year warranty will allow ample time to see what is really going on

• Like 1

Rick - the contractually specified quality control processes you discuss are also what I am used to seeing as well (being from the "customer" side of procuring environmentally qualified maritime electronic and electrical equipment).  Obviously, there is a cost balance factor that goes into this because ML wants to provide a machine at a certain cost (and paying a contractor for quality control inspections or testing adds to the subcontract cost).  But ML also doesn't want to be paying excessively for new electronics under warranty either (not to mention the negative press that would bring if it were happening on a regular basis).  I suspect ML has either a warranty provision or maximum in-service  failure rate provision in their contract with the housing supplier to incentivize him to provide quality product.  The one thing that gives me some degree of confidence in the fundamental soundness of the housing waterproof design is the anecdotal evidence of several heavy water users out there who regularly submerge their machines without issue.  But that is still probably a small minority of users overall.  The vast majority of machines out there may never even see a rain drop.  The actual failure mode of the housings that fail right off the bat would be telling, but also not something we will likely ever know as mere end users.

12 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Likely manufacturing defect of some sort affecting a small number of users.  Folks just need to make sure they dunk test their units before the warranty expires as it will fail within the first or second submersion, if at all.  Not something you have to worry about cropping up later if you successfully tested it.  Otherwise, you only need worry about making sure the battery compartment o-rings remain intact if you disturb them to remove or replace the battery down the road.  To stave off long term corrosion problems,  make sure you thoroughly rinse off any salt water residue use fresh water following any use in salt water.  

The coil ear thing is unfortunate and I have heard that happening when the coil is under stress in water use too.  They seem to be doing a balancing act between providing a light weight coil design and material strength.  I agree we will have to see just how durable the Equinox is for the long haul.

Believe me, the CTX had some serious watertight integrity design issues early on that were finally addressed by ML.  But folks having to use big rubber bands to keep the battery compartment from becoming unlatched seems like a kludgey solution.  Consider yourself lucky that you did not encounter those with your CTX.

Yes the CTX battery design and having to remove and install it to charge is a bad idea. They got that right on the equinox. I think they got a handle on their shortcomings and hopefully will get it sorted out before the warranty ends. It is just frustrating when you are careful with your machine and yet still have 2 major malfunctions within the first 3 months of light usage. 

• Like 1