X-coils And Rain

Jin

The x-coils aren't water proof? Is that right?

Was heading away for 4 days of nugget hunting in the caravan this week but it looks like it's going to rain??️

Any thoughts on whether the rain may cause any problems to these coils?

I know i used to detect in the poring rain with the coiltek elites and the 11" and 18" were fine but my 14" used to false when pressed against the ground. This only ever happened when it rained and i think moisture was getting in where the cable entered the coil.. I was thinking maybe taping some plastic over where the cable inters the coil on the x-coils just to be safe. 

Any other time id just cancel and go the following week but this is the last opportunity according to my wife to go for sometime. (new puppy that will need toilet training etc)

Im keen to try out the new x-coils and hit a spot that may soon be exempt from prospecting in a few months time.  

X Coil 2021 News

I have been out ini light rain and not had any problem.  I don't know of any coils out there that are not water resistant to rain.  Plus the Xcoils are taped around the sides.  It all comes down to sealing on the top connection points.  If you are concerned, clean it off and bead silicone around these areas.

My concern would be more with saturation ground signals near the surface.  But then again, I didn't run into this in my areas even with a light rain in one area.

My guess is you will be fine.

• Like 1

Well back from a few days away detecting and thankfully the rain stayed away as well except for a few moments of drizzle.

• Like 1