Hello From The Czech Republic

IRON MASK

Hello Everyone

Scott Ellis here, known as IRON MASK around other forums and detecting events.  I run the minelabowners forum and I am the designer for the "Detecting-Innovations" "Tele-Knox" telescopic shaft for the Equinox. I am Canadian however I have been in Europe for 19 years and I have been detecting since 2010, currently own and Equinox 800 and a "dusty" CTX. 

I have some of my finds featured in the Equinox Handbook by Andy Sabisch.

One of my best finds is a silver Roman Seal matrix that is now in a museum in Croatia. 

My oldest find is a piece of pottery from the Neolithic period and was a surface find.

The season is just getting underway for us here in Europe and I hope to have time to get out and find the goodies. 

Good luck and happy hunting to all. 

IMG_5009.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

21752416_10155834664838083_5225663180332808014_n.jpg

12039021_10153765696838083_3232224184681440183_o.jpg

• Like 7

Wow, an honor to have you here Scott. I’m quite impressed with my brief introduction to your rod design so far. Once I get some hours on it I’ll know more but I can see it being my standard dry land rod. I’m not sure I’d use it for saltwater use but that’s not a critique of the rod per see. That kind of use tends to eat any rod up and I’d rather ruin one of of the stock rods!

Anyway, thank you because having aftermarket items goes a long way to helping make a machine great. I never really had an issue with the stock Equinox rod while in use, but there is no doubt that a good telescoping rod suits a lot of my uses better. Specifically for prospecting in mountainous terrain. The detector needs to go in and out of a rucksack a lot, and constantly breaking down and reassembling is a real pain. And in constantly varying terrain being able to constantly adjust for long on the flat to very short on a 50 degree slope is required and the quick cams help a lot with that. All probably stuff a bit foreign to why many of your purchasers buy the rod so thought I’d toss that in. :smile:

As always, I am in awe of the finds made in Europe! Those coins are stunning quality. I’m headed back to the U.K. in September for another go myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Wow, an honor to have you here Scott. I’m quite impressed with my brief introduction to your rod design so far. Once I get some hours on it I’ll know more but I can see it being my standard dry land rod. I’m not sure I’d use it for saltwater use but that’s not a critique of the rod per see. That kind of use tends to eat any rod up and I’d rather ruin one of of the stock rods!

Anyway, thank you because having aftermarket items goes a long way to helping make a machine great. I never really had an issue with the stock Equinox rod while in use, but there is no doubt that a good telescoping rod suits a lot of my uses better. Specifically for prospecting in mountainous terrain. The detector needs to go in and out of a rucksack a lot, and constantly breaking down and reassembling is a real pain. And in constantly varying terrain being able to constantly adjust for long on the flat to very short on a 50 degree slope is required and the quick cams help a lot with that. All probably stuff a bit foreign to why many of your purchasers buy the rod so thought I’d toss that in. :smile:

As always, I am in awe of the finds made in Europe! Those coins are stunning quality. I’m headed back to the U.K. in September for another go myself.

Hello Steve and thank you for the kind words. Will you be at Detectival? I will be there all weekend. 

I have tinkered with every machine I have had and I always wanted to design something for the masses. The Tele-Knox shaft was/is a bit challenging as there are many aspects to consider and yet get it small, compact and light. I am currently working on an S-Shaft that will be made from Carbon Fibre and it will use the middle and lower rods from the Tele-Knox. It will have a unique storage/travel feature that will keep it nearly as compact as the the Tele-Knox. Hoping to have samples in September.  

• Like 2

No I am heading over for a reprise of my trip last year to Colchester. Had a terrific time!

I’m trying to talk my wife into a visit just to see the country. Thus will be my third time to the U.K. but outside of seeing lots of great countryside while detecting I have done no touristy stuff. I know my way around Heathrow now and think I could handle the driving now so would love to get her over there for an out and about. Maybe next year if I can get my daughter to sit our pups.

Welcome to the site.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

Welcome Scott. I am planning on heading to the Czeck Republic next summer for the World Gold Panning Championships. It’s always a blast. Can’t wait to see the country. May I inquire about the detecting laws over there? And where I can find one of your shafts for the Equinox?

great finds there. Thanks for sharing.  👍

• Like 1

Hi Mike

I have heard many great things about the Panning Championships and I would like to go so maybe next year :-) Detecting here is really unclear as it seems everyone does it, they do it without permission from anyone and they just avoid protected sites. As I understand it you are allowed to use a metal detector but anything you find belongs to the state and you could be rewarded 10% of the value. I have been on a few hunts with archeologists and everything was handed in. The Slovak Republic has recently changed the laws and it is now forbidden to use a metal detector there. Regarding the Tele-Knox stem please have a look on the detecting-innobvations.co.uk site. 

Let me know when you come to CZ and I can give you some advice. 

Regards,

Scott

• Like 1