Falcon Md20 Detector Info

Have any of you long-timers used this machine? I cant seem to find a review on forum, but didnt dig too hard.
I was thinking abt taping probe to stick to poke in holes in creek, at least down to that 4ft. range. perhaps idenify some areas to dredge next month.

It will hit smaller gold than anything you can buy, far smaller than a Gold Bug 2 even. Main problem is it is a probe, and so you only cover an area about 1" wide with a depth on small stuff of about an inch. But in that inch it is super sensitive. I have one I use for finding specs of gold in hard rock samples.

It also is manual tune and finicky. It will sound off on miniature hot rocks just like any hot detector, except they are hot grains of sand. A great tool to have but very limited in applications. It could be very helpful sniping but will also find a tiny piece of lead or steel down in that hole.

falcon-md20-gold-probe-pinpointer.jpg

• Like 1

It is a great tool. To use in holes or crevices. I also use mine on highbanking. I hole punch and then scan the layers to find the pay. If you purchase, I'll give you some tips on getting the most out of it.

Scott, I have the earlier MD10 Falcon. Any tips you would like to share would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Jim

I have a buddy who uses one. He goes to an area that detecting is becoming frowned upon. He checks quartz, and usually brings home 8-10 pieces, which he eventually crushes and smelts into buttons. Last time I was at his house, he had about 10 chunks of Quartz...only one had visible gold, and I could get a hit with my gb pro on only 2...falcons are very sensitive.

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

Did you ever find a battery adapter for your XT18000?  If not, let me know.  I finally cut some pc board but still have to make the adapter.

Now, if I remember correctly, there really isn't much difference between the MD10 and the MD20.  So, any instructions you can find on their should work on the other. 

There is a video out showing how to use the MD detectors and basically if set up right, you power to probe and if you get a good signal, it is probably gold or maybe lead.  If you pull away from the target and it sounds off, it is most likely a piece of magnetite. 

The next thing is to practice some to get the feel of the detector but it is quite simple.

Reg

• Like 1

I think like Steve says, the best application is to scan quartz samples. I used mine to scan the dry moss on top of rocks, and it works pretty well because the moss doesn't tend to be over loaded with black sand. I didn't find any nuggets(yet) but did bind little pieces of aluminum so hopefully one of those will be a nugget.

I tried to see if I could used it to track high concentrations of black sand, but never had any success with that.

The one tip I would give if you are using it in a creek bed is, scan just above the surface of the gravel and if you get a signal(beep beep) hold the probe dead still over the target. Now move the probe toward the target. If you get a beep it's non ferrous, if you don't get a beep, hold it dead still again and then pull it away from the target. If you get a beep it's a hot rock(pebble) or a piece of iron.

It's teadeous, but can be effective for crevicing.

good luck

Tom

• Like 1