A Breathtaking Specimen!

I have handled a lot of gold through the years, but this has to be one of the finest high grade specimens to date!
It weighs 24.65 Grams, and was found with a metal detector in California.
Brilliant gold with lots of Octahedron crystals.
I can only imagine what the crystals might look like under the quartz.
Enjoy the eye-candy!
Best of luck on your next prospecting adventure....
Gus-

post-109-0-37444700-1391819936_thumb.jpg

post-109-0-70325800-1391819952_thumb.jpg

post-109-0-88184700-1391819959_thumb.jpg

post-109-0-93138700-1391819969_thumb.jpg

post-109-0-45617900-1391819982_thumb.jpg

post-109-0-42901900-1391819996_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Gus

Very nice piece. So when you look at a specimen like that, how is that value determined? It's probably not by weight I would think,

but more as a piece of art, or is it a combination? 

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yeah the value of a specimen like this is based more on rarity and beauty than gold content. This piece is worth many times more than it's gold weight.

Of course it's only worth what someone is willing to pay, however there are some serious mineral specimen collectors that will pay big bucks for stuff like this.

I know of two gorgeous chevron nuggets with a total weight of 2 ounces that sold for $25K.

Man-made artwork sells for big bucks... This is Mother Nature's artwork, and it's composed of one of the rarest and most sought after elements on the planet!

Gold is rare, Nuggets are even rarer, Crystalline specimens like this are.... well you get the point.

Thanks for your great question Tom.

Gus- 

I've seen single crystals of less than 2 grams (a bit more than a pennyweight) sell for 2 grand. I have a photo somewhere of a piece from Olinghouse that probably does not contain 10 grams of gold that sold for $45,000. Crystal stuff sells at a real premium.

Gus, that's one really beautiful specimen.

At the Tucson Gem And Mineral show I saw many crystal pieces for sale that did not even have weight mentioned, some could have only been a few grams at best and some maybe an oz, but many had prices of $10-20K! A company called Kristalle had many of them.....