My Dreams Finally Come True In 2020

One question Steve and I hope I don’t come across contentious or conceited, what if ‘your’ bucket list metal detector is a problem in the ground I operate in? You see I’ve used the Garrett ATX the Whites TDI and an early version QED in the areas I go detecting and test metal detectors in and found everything else seriously lacking. So is the bar performance based, price based or weight based? Minelab loses in weight and price but in my case wins hands down on being able to work in my ground and at the same time have performance. And sorry to be seeming like I’m dragging the discussion into contention but this also goes for the X coils where I work and test detectors. 

If I go over said ground with all of the above and find nothing with them but find heaps with the heaviest priciest detector in the list, which detector do I choose?

Please I’m not trying to be walled eyed here, I’m not trying to be contenious or arrogant, this is not a Dodge versus Ford man beat your chest rant. There is no way I could bring myself to sell my Dodge ....... err GPZ. ?

JP

• Like 4

Seems simple JP. Set your bars for your use, I’ll set mine for my use. For me I am sure I said it already but a Garrett ATX circuit packaged up right would be fine. That’s my low bar... for me. Unlike you I can grab an ATX right now and go find gold with it. But all I am doing is setting a low bar. What I am asking for is the machine that exceeds that bar the most while staying ergonomic and affordable. Did it appear I set an upper limit on performance? I don’t think so. GPX 4500 is the better low bar really, and I’ll sure go for more!

Said it many times. How about the SDC stuffed in the Eureka Gold box with a coil selection? At least I could hip or chest mount it. But no, it has to be in a 5.3 lb military box with a hard-wired coil. Sure it works but I want what I want.

I am the one being selfish and conceited JP. :smile: The machine is for me and people thinking like me and I am sure I am far from being alone. You should use what you want and what works for you. You do this to make money so absolute performance is paramount I assume. What difference does it make? I’m not demanding that all other detector development for other people like you cease. It’s not a battle between us, where one must win and the other lose. Surely there is room for more than one set of desires in the world? How about I vote we both get what we want? I am just clearly stating what I want and what would make me happy, nothing more. I’d love a thread from you on what you want and why. I would assume that would be next gen GPZ but I should not put words in your mouth.

As for me it’s basically a non-issue. My bar has been cleared and all that is left next year is to pick between the available choices. Like I said, happy days... for me!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OK so what I would like is a GPZ at around the same weight as the CTX 3030. Believe it or not but a too light machine hunting for deep gold is actually a negative because coil control is so important, patch hunting or chasing small shallow gold no problem, but for deeper edge of detection responses it’s the other way around. 

So my bucket list would be (Bar if you like),

• A light weight simple to use Steve ‘BAR’ PI with depth performance on par with GPX and sensitivity of the SDC with a variety of coil choices.
  • A light as CTX 3030 GPZ 7000 with a variety of coil options, 12” small gold finder, 17” x 12” Patch hunter, 15’ round general purpose and say 18” to 19 “ same weight as the GPZ14” coil for outright depth.
  • All units should have an option or ability to cut out EMI and Salt signals whilst maintaining reasonable depth and sensitivity.

JP

• Like 7

I am pushing somebody getting the ergonomics right. I actually love the feel of the CTX and had wished way back when for exactly what you are describing JP... a GPX in a CTX box. Once the ergonomics are right, competition will add the performance part over time. I’m just trying to draw a line in the sand and demanding the ergonomics. Whatever limits that places on the performance part I can accept, but I’m tired of 7 lb detectors and harnesses and bungees when there is no real technological need for all that anymore. That’s what this is all about from my perspective, saying enough is enough. If everyone out there thinks otherwise... but I doubt it.

My 2012 post at Findmall:

”I have a Minelab GPX 5000 and a Minelab CTX 3030. I am a firm believer at this point that the GPX 5000 has taken PI nugget detecting technology about as far as it can go, with only better ferrous discrimination the only thing to offer me. And I am not holding my breath for that. So where to go from here.

Pretty obvious I would say. Cram the GPX 5000 into the CTX 3030 package. I see no reason why it can't be done. The only limitation would likely be battery time per charge but if a CTX style battery could get me just a half day operation I am fine with changing batteries at lunch. A GPX 5000 in a single package with built-in speaker and GPS and waterproof to 10 feet would be killer. A new coil set mimicing the CTX set would be great as new waterproof coils would be a must. 8" mono, 11" (or 12") mono and 11" (or 12") DD and 18" mono would be all I would ever need. People are already using the GPX for beach and relic hunting and this would put it over the top. I would be using it for almost any detecting at all except where discrimination is a must, like turf hunting in a park.

Minelab GPX 5000 MSRP of $6995 (MAP $5795). You want to get another grand out of me Minelab? MSRP $7995? Give me a CTX 5000 or GPX 6000 or GPX 8030, whatever you want to call it and you got it.”

That was then and now being now the only thing I’m really wanting beyond what I posted in 2012 is the lower price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually what I would really like is two GPZ’s, one on par weight wise as the CTX for larger coil use and another one that is super light for small coil use and yes with a 10 x 6” elliptical for Steve.??

• Like 3

Gents I hope you both have your wishes granted…they are both worthy. Me? I would just like a little time to get out and look.

• Like 2

Hey Steve,

For the price and performance only (not weight or ergonomics), I still think the Minelab GPX 4500 is the best bang for the buck here in the US.  The price is fair, the performance is great and you have all the options of aftermarket coils and accessories.  

That being said, the GPX 4500 will be discontinued again soon.  I'm not sure what is left, but I believe what is left is all we will ever see again. 

Rob Allison

• Like 6
  • Oh my! 1

Just now, Rob Allison said:

That being said, the GPX 4500 will be discontinued again soon.  I'm not sure what is left, but I believe what is left is all we will ever see again. 

Holy crap, are you serious Rob? That’s real news actually and not the greatest because I agree, it is the best bang for the buck. Only acceptable really if GPX 5000 price comes down.

• Like 1