My Dreams Finally Come True In 2020

I want two things, a super light weight PI not much heavier than an Equinox with a 10” elliptical coil, it has to have as good or better sensitivity as a SDC 2300. Then I want an as good or better than GPX 5000 PI in a CTX housing with a range of coils sizes from 10” elliptical right up to 18” round it also has to have a noise and salt cancelling coil that also performs reasonably well!!

Lastly I want a GPZ in a CTX weight class with a range of coils from say 12” through to 20”, with the larger coil not exceeding the current weight of the GPZ 14” coil. 6 hours of battery life is plenty I can always carry a spare battery if this will help with weight. I will also need coil options that remove salt, saturation and EMI signals.

I am willing to pay for said detectors because I am fortunate enough to live somewhere where I can find enough gold to do so, but for others I will also say they need to make budget versions of the above!! Especially the light weight small coil PI option.

Minelab are you listening?

JP

PS this is liberating??

• Like 4

Minelab do listen. That's why the GPZ is the way it is.

When ever a machine has a few years up someone always starts a thread in anticipation of the next offering. After the 5000 had a few years under its belt there were countless threads asking what was wanted in the "GPX 6000".

Most asked for CTX style with battery in the back, wireless, GPS included etc and Minelab gave us what we asked for. We even told them how much we were prepared to pay for it. Not many factored weight in thier christmas list.

We got what we asked for then whinged about the price and weight.

Me? I just wanted more depth in a GPX style package and better salt handling.

I was happy with the GPX format with battery on my back. Battery in a machine adds weight to the machine. Cordless though nice, was not a priority.

I don't need GPS in the machine. I have a GPS. I didn't need a screen on the handle, just another thing to knock and break and be unable to read in the sun. As it is mine has lines down it.

But dreams and reality don't always come together. I always dreamt of sleeping with Farrah Fawcett and the dumpy blonde from the Dixie Chicks...that never happened either.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Minelab DOES listen. That’s why the Equinox exists. They mined the forums for opinions. But they can only listen if we SPEAK.

We have the 21st century VLFs finally, now it’s time for 21st century PI.

madtuna, think GPX just like you have but with battery incorporated into case, built in LOUDSpeaker built in, and high speed wireless built in? Instead of the Frankenstein versions I see now with all that stuff strapped on.

• Like 1

I want my speaker(s) up where my ears are not down where my arm or wrist is though.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Rob Allison said:

Hey Steve,

For the price and performance only (not weight or ergonomics), I still think the Minelab GPX 4500 is the best bang for the buck here in the US.  The price is fair, the performance is great and you have all the options of aftermarket coils and accessories.  

That being said, the GPX 4500 will be discontinued again soon.  I'm not sure what is left, but I believe what is left is all we will ever see again. 

Rob Allison

I think that's true of the GPX4500 here in Australia too - best bang for buck.

Not only that there is a much better & farer reaching dealer network + support from manufacturer/dealers & detecting  peers is readily obtainable. 

The QED is closing the gap but having owned a PL2 there is still improvement to be had. Some of these are being addressed now by the sounds of it like auto tracking, better ground balancing etc. but these aren't currently available. Some of the 3D printed add ons like the stand need improvement too - I replaced mine with a metal one. The 3D printed plastic can warp in hot Aussie conditions & the battery cover isn't great either - one of mine didn't fit properly & kept falling off. The spare was ok but still not ideal. Edit: The ribbon cabling isn't ideal either. Minor things but still the refinement of these small things could be done easily too.

With my GPX I don't have to worry about these things & IMO performance/usability in all varying conditions is still better (if only by a minimal margin).

• Like 3