My Dreams Finally Come True In 2020

I want what I want when I want it, lol. That being said I will wait in line like all the rest for the PI that fits my build list. My build list is about the same as Steve's. I have a Nox and it wrecks all other vlf units. If you don't care for that statement sorry, I respect your view and will add you to the list of people that prevent me from dredging in Cali. The SDC is where I expect the small gold bar set at. The deep gold needs to be better than the Zed. It does not have to be as big in gold size as the Zed, would be nice. But let's face it, the honkers are disappearing. So I will take many grammer in a day over one big one. I get bored fast lol. Weight needs to be Nox like.

Let's keep it simple. Give me a PI Nox and I will buy two lol and a hat lol lol.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2019 at 4:10 PM, Lacky said:

Price is my main requirement.  They really dont target it at all it seems in the gold pi market. I have a normal job/income and a special needs kid. It doesn't matter how awesome a $7000 or $10000 metal detector is because I will never own one. You can't tell me with Mores law etc they can't make a solid performing pi at a profit in a $1500ish price range. Sure it won't be a Ferrari,  but I'm never going to own one of those either. 

All I want is the opportunity to go looking with a reasonable chance at a price I can afford.  That why I bought the equinox,  not cause it's going to make me rich, but because it opens up the opportunity for adventures. If I can't buy something for me without taking away from my kids I have no interest in it. A $5000+ detector is exactly that situation. 

Thank you Lacky for so clearly expressing what seems to be overlooked. People have to work within reasonable budgets and the idea that everyone can just run out and get $5000 plus machines simply because they are "the best" flies in the face of reality. For most people metal detecting is a hobby, nothing more, and no money is ever going to be made doing it. It is an optional expense, not a genuine need. It's for the fun and adventure. I know I have made this all about me, me, me but the truth is I am very cognizant of people like you and the need for reasonable power at reasonable prices. Equinox is a very good example of what happens when a company delivers on that promise. It's called value, something that is still lacking in the PI world.

I just wanted to highlight your post because I think its says everything I was trying to say but in far less words and with far more heart. My very best wishes for you and your kids. :smile:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Autistic daughter actually, and thanks. The reason the equinox sales are through the roof is exactly because it convinced people like me to buy. I wanted a ctx for years, but not THAT much. Bring out a detector that people actually prefer and use when they own both at 40% of the price and it gets people off the fence, both for the value and the obtainablility.

My daughter randomly told me a couple days ago we needed to go out in the desert and dig gold and have adventures. No idea where it came from. So that's definitely going to happen! The main reason I dont get out of town more is watching her, so she's going to get all the adventure she will tolerate. She really likes going places so this might work out.

• Like 7

Lacky, I love that you and your daughter are close. I look forward to hearing of your adventures together and am sure they will be revelations for both of you.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 8/5/2019 at 4:55 PM, Lacky said:

Autistic daughter actually, and thanks. The reason the equinox sales are through the roof is exactly because it convinced people like me to buy. I wanted a ctx for years, but not THAT much. Bring out a detector that people actually prefer and use when they own both at 40% of the price and it gets people off the fence, both for the value and the obtainablility.

My daughter randomly told me a couple days ago we needed to go out in the desert and dig gold and have adventures. No idea where it came from. So that's definitely going to happen! The main reason I dont get out of town more is watching her, so she's going to get all the adventure she will tolerate. She really likes going places so this might work out.

Amen Lacky, 

A little late on this post, but just joined in October! 

I have a special needs teenage son and agree with your statements about cost! The Nox 800 was a high dollar item for me! Unless i strike it rich with the lottery, or on the Treasure Coast detecting; ( highly unlikely on both) which is 100 miles away, and not a regular drive for me! Than i will probably never spend that much again! Not only am i retired, but have a daughter in an arts college $$$! And i will have a life long dependent ( my son) living with me and my wife for life! 💑 👩‍🎓🤷‍♂️

Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't change a thing if i could! (Except the lottery winning, and treasure finding part) I'm just happy i have some time to detect, and would love my son to join in at some point if he's willing and interested! (Very little so far; Patience is not his virtue)LOL🤯

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

Amen Lacky, 

A little late on this post, but just joined in October! 

I have a special needs teenage son and agree with your statements about cost! The Nox 800 was a high dollar item for me! Unless i strike it rich with the lottery, or on the Treasure Coast detecting; ( highly unlikely on both) which is 100 miles away, and not a regular drive for me! Than i will probably never spend that much again! Not only am i retired, but have a daughter in an arts college $$$! And i will have a life long dependent ( my son) living with me and my wife for life! 💑 👩‍🎓🤷‍♂️

Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't change a thing if i could! (Except the lottery winning, and treasure finding part) I'm just happy i have some time to detect, and would love my son to join in at some point if he's willing and interested! (Very little so far; Patience is not his virtue)LOL🤯

Joe, it was strange but one of the hardest things to wrap my mind around was the fact that the whole "getting all the kids raised and moved out and retiring" had just gone away. It's fine now, but at the time I really struggled to wrap my mind around it and adjust. It basically morphed into I don't have any big retirement goals now. I take my adventures where and when I can and don't have big delayed plans waiting on retirement. I still have some dreams (altered somewhat to match current reality) but mostly I assume I'll pretty much be doing what I do now. That's fine, I'm happy. 

• Thanks 1

Sounds about right!

I'm right there with you! And still trying to enjoy each day as it comes!👍👌

• Like 1

I would like to have a matching  pi detector to go along with my gm1000,  a hi power lightweight pi with mostly auto functions and a few manual adj. Keep setup simple like the monster.  Good for grain size nuggets down to a grain up to gram size at major depth. Say 1.3 gram at 14-15" in mild soils.  This pair of machines would find me some of whats left in most gold fields in the US today. Provided it would have choices of say 3 flatwire coil sizes.  And all this in a working mans affordable price range.

On 8/4/2019 at 2:53 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I got my first detector at the true dawn of the modern detecting age when I got my White's Coinmaster 4 in 1972.

On 8/4/2019 at 2:53 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Long story short I am grateful to Minelab for allowing me to be involved in the machine that delivered on my first vision. The Minelab Equinox is the first machine ever that really can do any VLF metal detecting task and do it well. In any one area it may not be "the best" but no one machine delivers across the board like the Equinox.

There are few things in detecting I can say I beat Steve H. to the line, but operating a detector is one of them.  I first used a metal detector (home built from an electronics mag in 1969) and had my first usable detector (Heathkit GD-48 in 1970/71).  From there it's been all downhill.

It would be a complete sham to pretend my detecting skills approach Steve's, or for that matter many of those who post here.  However, I'm not going to admit that I don't have observations which might deserve consideration.  I was out today with my EQX 800 in a school yard I've been working for 1 1/2 years.  3 1/2 hours produced two old US 'nickel' 5 cent pieces and a lot of other metal objects whose origin/usage/meaning are mostly a mystery.  When I go detecting it's as much about learning as it is about finding, and today's hunt was not exception.

What comes back to perception (I won't go as far to say 'realization') for me is the issue of masking.  Iron is king when it comes to all metal detectors AFAIK.  But any metal object, given the right size, shape, and location can be a masker.  Recent detectors have made strides in unmasking desirable targets, but I sure hope they aren't finished.  Although it's always true that you can't beat mother nature (physics), most of the time that doesn't prevent improvements such as speed and software 'intelligence'.  There may be hardware breakthroughs out there, or not, but I'd like to think even without that we will see the biggest problem in coin and relic detecting realizing improvements in the near future.  Which company will do that?  I don't care, but there are several capable and here's hoping at least one cares enough about us detectorists, for whatever reason, to do so.

• Like 3