My Dreams Finally Come True In 2020

I run into masking problems too in many areas when using a DD. I recently sweep the coil normal in one directly then back swipe at an angle. Seems to help. Of course if when there is a lot of iron I find myself setting my disc so iron just chirps as a marginal target and then approach each target at different angles. Wonder why ML doesn't make a concentric?

• Like 2

Just now, kac said:

I run into masking problems too in many areas when using a DD. I recently sweep the coil normal in one directly then back swipe at an angle. Seems to help. Of course if when there is a lot of iron I find myself setting my disc so iron just chirps as a marginal target and then approach each target at different angles. Wonder why ML doesn't make a concentric?

Kac ... very good perception, 6-7 "concentric coil for multi-frequency minelab Equinox would very well reveal the other detection capabilities of this detector ...

Steve.... is also right .. aluminum if it is in a certain size already can mask the good targets that are under them ..

• Like 1

I have already spent a bunch on a 5000 and 7000, some years apart, I would only buy another PI if it was much like Steve described and more affordable than what I have spent so far.     

• Like 2

With Nokta/Makro reconfirming a PI is in the works I am confident we will finally see this segment of the detector market get readjusted, much in the same way Equinox and Simplex are readjusting the VLF market. The GPZ 7000 was introduced in 2015, what’s up next for Minelab? QED is looking good and more advances being hinted at there. The Fisher Impulse is almost bound to happen in 2020.

Nokta/Makro in particular is exciting due to their history of listening to and working directly with customers to deliver what they want. And you just know whatever the do will be affordable.

• Like 3

Great report Smithobx, confirms again why I am declaring the QED the default winner of my affordable PI challenge. Barring anything else appearing in the next year it’s the one to get. I’m mainly waiting to see how the Fisher Impulse Terra shakes out and to see if anything else appears in the meantime. QED sets the base level to beat at this time in my opinion with TDI High-Q is second place.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

You must be one of the first in the USA with one.

Maybe one of the first detectors tuned for our power grid ( thanks to a post you made Simon) and with the new update. I believe there might be a QED or two out west.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it’s been over a year now since I sold my GPZ 7000.  My Garrett ATX went away also just prior to that. It has been odd being without the top gold machine on the market for over a year, which has not happened to me since I got my Minelab SD 2200D back in 2000. I’ve switched up to each new Minelab that came along since then. No beach PI is also something that has not happened to me in a long time. I’m surprised I did not experience some kind of withdrawal symptoms, but it’s been a fun year with my Equinox so I can’t say I really missed it. In both cases I have basically just been waiting for something new to come along as I don’t see myself ever going back to either the ATX or GPZ now. The ATX there just has to be something better, and the GPZ is getting too long in the tooth now for me to want to dump that kind of money back into getting a new one. I’ll wait for whatever comes next from Minelab since I have my eye on something else right now anyway.

The QED stays on my radar but I have to say my real interest right now is in the new Fisher Impulse AQ and Fisher Impulse AU models that are rumored to be out soon. The AQ is intended for saltwater beach use, while the AU model is going to be a dry land gold prospecting model. I’m 99% sure at this point I will get one of these detectors in 2020. I don’t see myself getting both however, so I am curious which may be more versatile. The beach model lacks a ground balance control so it will not make a very good prospecting detector. The prospecting detector however may do quite well on beaches, but I am not sure it will have the advanced PI discrimination capability tuned for gold ring targets that the AQ is touting as its main selling feature.

I need more details but right now I’m leaning towards the beach model. I can’t imagine the prospecting model doing more than perhaps matching the SDC 2300 so no big breakthrough there over what I have used before. The beach model however my crack open a new level of performance that could make some beaches come alive again, the rare advance in technology that happens only once a decade and the type I tend to try and take advantage of.

I also have to admit pounding ever depleting nugget patches is losing its luster for me also. I love beach detecting and if the Impulse AQ is everything I think it might be then hitting the black sand beaches may be a far more productive way to get gold and gems than hitting the nugget patches. I have not done any serious beach detecting in several years now, and 2020 just may turn into The Year of the Beach for me. If nothing else it would give me another excuse to go back to Hawaii! :smile:

fisher-impulse-aq-beach-jewelry-metal-detector.jpg

• Like 2