An Interesting Wheat Penny And Some Ww2 Relics

I was trying to look them up but not much info...I dont think they are worth a whole lot because the date is cut off. I was unable to find a similar wheat penny that was so far mis struck off center as that one was when I was looking on the net. Thanks 

strick

3 hours ago, strick said:

The wheat penny is struck off center?....only the 19 is visible on the date. Maybe GB- Amateur knows something about these types of coins?

2 hours ago, beatup said:

That  penny is a real find those miss strikes were not supposed to get out of the mint,might be worth a pretty penny.

Error collecting is certainly a special section of numismatics.  I'm not very familiar with it although I have studied/read about it over the years (mostly long ago).  I just looked at a book from my shelf -- Modern Mint Mistakes by Phillip Steiner and Michael Zimpfer (4th ed., 1974!).  In their section Off Center Stikes it says "Being fed partially between the dies causes a coin to receive a partial strike.  An off center coin must lack part of the coin's image."  It continues "The percentage of the blank planchet still showing tells how far off center a coin is" (emphasis mine).  My crude estimation is that yours would be classified in the 40% class.

Beatup is correct in what he says -- rare, and never supposed to have gotten through inspection.  Unfortunately rarity often doesn't translate to value.  You also need 'demand' and most mint errors (with exceptions such as extreme double strikes and over-date/mintmarks) just don't have that much collector appeal.  You can probably find fair prices on Ebay.  But it's a cool find, regardless of $ value!  Looks like you've got a good spot there.  Hope you have time to get back down to it between your trips to gold country.

• Like 3

the wheat cent offset from center that high a percentage is indeed fairly rare, but due to having the normal copper corrosion, wont be worth much.  If you had more than the 19, it could potentially have more value, but the year/mint would have had to already be a key date for a dug one to be worth much.

A couple coin dealers in my area assure me no copper coin I dig would be of any interest to them.  no large cents? -NO.   How about a 1793 large cent?-NO.  How about a 1793 Chain reverse large cent?-Oh, bring that one in and Ill buy it, they always say ?

• Haha 2

You could take the dirt off with a soft toothbrush and some baking soda and water. There was an offset strike on usacoinbook going for $329 in pretty good condition to give you a sort of reference. I don't know if getting it graded would be worth the $$ as a friend of mine sent a proof silver dollar still in packaging untarnished from the 40's and they gave it a 66. He also sent his 1795 large cent with reeded edge that was easy to see and they said unidentifiable.  Guess they cater to the big coin dealers and just take your $$.

Tossing it up as is close to the price range of others and let people bid on it might be the better option.OR toss it in a little baggy and put it away in your own collection. I have yet to sell anything I bought and fast becoming a pack rat of odd bits and cool things :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...