Fake And Silver

Thanks phrunt...that little beach was about a mile walk down a levee...The river is the Sacramento river...lots of small beaches and islands here and there. I need to get my boat back in the water...the wife says next weekend...:smile: That ring with the gold plating really had me fooled. The wife took one look with the loop and said sorry lol.. My brother had just called me so I took that picture and sent it to him. 

strick

Strick,

Just curious if you wet-wade the Sac this time of year? Summer has lived up to its reputation up here (low to mid 90s) and it's probably been a real scorcher in the Sac valley as usual. Wearing waders in the extreme heat can be miserable unless you are water-buffalo-deep most of the day. I like the way you reverse the headphones so you can wear a sun hat. Never thought of that. Are they the stock ML phones? If so, I assume you must be hunting no deeper than it takes to maintain BT connectivity because no cable is visible.

Thanks for posting pics of your finds. I think it's time for me to get wet. 

4 hours ago, Flowdog said:

Just curious if you wet-wade the Sac this time of year?

Yep shorts and wading shoes...jump right in. During the fall I'll wear waders. That day I was hunting shallow...if I go deep I've been using my Excalibur 

strick

I really enjoy the freedom of wet wading in wading boots. I've been looking at scoops but haven't seen one that I would trust holding up to the local rivers. From the few times I fished the Sac I recall that the riverbed is more sandy and less rocky. At least the spots I've been.

If you would, I'd like to know what scoop you use, and any suggestions you might have for me to look for size and shape-wise, and that may do ok working not only in sandy spots, but also might be somewhat effective in retrieving targets from around shallow smallish cobbles and gravel too.

I have stumbled on a brand - Xtreme - that seem very solid, but hesitate to spend the $$.  

Any guidance you offer would be much appreciated.

Curtis

Hey Curtis...In have two Stealth scoops and one Starve. The Stealth scoops might be a little better for river gravel..I've used mine in some lower foot hills  rivers and they do OK I use carbon fiber handles due to their light weight and strength...make sure you get one with a 20 degree  angle built into it...I have one with a 90 degree that I dont ever use because I did not know what to order the first time. The Starve I have is small and light and I usually grab it first when going on quick 2-3 hour hunts on sandy beaches...The Stealth's I use is the 720i and 920i The 920i is very large for working big beaches. Sounds like for what you are interested in the 720i with a 20 degree angle and a carbon fiber handle would suit your needs... or something similar in that size with the Extreme.  Unfortunately there is no scoop shop around where we can go and look at them before we buy so it is common to see fellas with several different styles of scoops.. forgot to mention then head phones are the originals..they fit a little loose that way but dont fall off my fat head. 

http://www.stealthscoop.com

http://stavrscoop.com/en/8-sand-scoop

strick 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Strick. Just the help I was looking for! 

48 minutes ago, strick said:

Unfortunately there is no scoop shop around where we can go and look at them before we buy so it is common to see fellas with several different styles of scoops..

Makes scoop shopping hard and scoop makers $$. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Flowdog said:

Thanks Strick. Just the help I was looking for! 

Makes scoop shopping hard and scoop makers $$. 

If you want to look at cheaper options I bought this one

https://www.amazon.com/Dune-Kraken-Stainless-Detector-Hexagon/dp/B073428DSQ

I got the version with small holes so as not to lose targets, I like the choice in pure sand, but with gravel too I wonder if bigger would be better. I bought a $10 fiberglass handled shovel at walmart and chucked the blade in the trash. Was the cheapest fiberglass handle option and worked fine with a little sanding down. So $100 all in. I can't say how well it will hold up or how it compares to much more expensive ones, but it is sturdy and seems built well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1