Cool post strick.  It's nice to put a face to a name, since we've done our photos of the 4 legged friends post there should be a mug shot thread too ?

I'd be extremely happy to find that much on that little stretch of beach.... wow, it looks a nice spot.

Thanks phrunt...that little beach was about a mile walk down a levee...The river is the Sacramento river...lots of small beaches and islands here and there. I need to get my boat back in the water...the wife says next weekend...:smile: That ring with the gold plating really had me fooled. The wife took one look with the loop and said sorry lol.. My brother had just called me so I took that picture and sent it to him. 

strick

• Like 1

Strick,

Just curious if you wet-wade the Sac this time of year? Summer has lived up to its reputation up here (low to mid 90s) and it's probably been a real scorcher in the Sac valley as usual. Wearing waders in the extreme heat can be miserable unless you are water-buffalo-deep most of the day. I like the way you reverse the headphones so you can wear a sun hat. Never thought of that. Are they the stock ML phones? If so, I assume you must be hunting no deeper than it takes to maintain BT connectivity because no cable is visible.

Thanks for posting pics of your finds. I think it's time for me to get wet. 

4 hours ago, Flowdog said:

Just curious if you wet-wade the Sac this time of year?

Yep shorts and wading shoes...jump right in. During the fall I'll wear waders. That day I was hunting shallow...if I go deep I've been using my Excalibur 

strick

I really enjoy the freedom of wet wading in wading boots. I've been looking at scoops but haven't seen one that I would trust holding up to the local rivers. From the few times I fished the Sac I recall that the riverbed is more sandy and less rocky. At least the spots I've been.

If you would, I'd like to know what scoop you use, and any suggestions you might have for me to look for size and shape-wise, and that may do ok working not only in sandy spots, but also might be somewhat effective in retrieving targets from around shallow smallish cobbles and gravel too.

I have stumbled on a brand - Xtreme - that seem very solid, but hesitate to spend the $$.  

Any guidance you offer would be much appreciated.

Curtis

Hey Curtis...In have two Stealth scoops and one Starve. The Stealth scoops might be a little better for river gravel..I've used mine in some lower foot hills  rivers and they do OK I use carbon fiber handles due to their light weight and strength...make sure you get one with a 20 degree  angle built into it...I have one with a 90 degree that I dont ever use because I did not know what to order the first time. The Starve I have is small and light and I usually grab it first when going on quick 2-3 hour hunts on sandy beaches...The Stealth's I use is the 720i and 920i The 920i is very large for working big beaches. Sounds like for what you are interested in the 720i with a 20 degree angle and a carbon fiber handle would suit your needs... or something similar in that size with the Extreme.  Unfortunately there is no scoop shop around where we can go and look at them before we buy so it is common to see fellas with several different styles of scoops.. forgot to mention then head phones are the originals..they fit a little loose that way but dont fall off my fat head. 

http://www.stealthscoop.com

http://stavrscoop.com/en/8-sand-scoop

strick 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Strick. Just the help I was looking for! 

48 minutes ago, strick said:

Unfortunately there is no scoop shop around where we can go and look at them before we buy so it is common to see fellas with several different styles of scoops..

Makes scoop shopping hard and scoop makers $$. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Flowdog said:

Thanks Strick. Just the help I was looking for! 

Makes scoop shopping hard and scoop makers $$. 

If you want to look at cheaper options I bought this one

https://www.amazon.com/Dune-Kraken-Stainless-Detector-Hexagon/dp/B073428DSQ

I got the version with small holes so as not to lose targets, I like the choice in pure sand, but with gravel too I wonder if bigger would be better. I bought a $10 fiberglass handled shovel at walmart and chucked the blade in the trash. Was the cheapest fiberglass handle option and worked fine with a little sanding down. So $100 all in. I can't say how well it will hold up or how it compares to much more expensive ones, but it is sturdy and seems built well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By kac
      Was debating on taking my AT Pro or try my luck with the Sea Hunter at local pond I have hit before where there is a sandy beach with little trash. Ended up with the Pro and snagged this bracelet 14k 1.42grams, rest of the jewelry is gold plated but still gets your blood moving when you see it in the water. Very tricky fishing the earings out through my scoop and lost a few others as they were just too small for me to see in the water.
      For those that still use the AT Pro just set it to zero mode and turn off the iron audio. I fly by audio mostly anyways and occasionally look at the vid.

• By ColonelDan
      I was at the Treasure Coast on Wednesday 4 September...right after Dorian left our area.

All along A1A many, if not most of the small access points were locked and some actually had police cars blocking entry. Surfers were parking along the road side and making their way to the beach through heavy thicket!

We were able to get to Bonsteel and it was a bust. Mushy sand throughout. The expected erosion was just not there. Numerous detectors were there however. Comparing results, only one that I met found anything of note. A small silver Reale about thumbnail size and paper thin.

Obviously, I couldn’t see the entire Treasure Coast but Dorian did us no great favors where we were and we covered a pretty extensive distance. Other areas may have been better suited for hunting but again, the areas we saw were covered with soft mushy sand and no notable targets other than a few modern coins. 😨
      The most important favor Dorian did for us Florida coast dwellers however was staying so far off our coast and sparing us the damage it could have done.  Having gone through my share of hurricanes, I am eternally grateful for such favors!   Thank God!
    • By strick
      Been getting into the water more then I have in past years...I'm enjoying this type of hunting. Been hitting two spots...One is just a secluded swimming hole not effected by big currents and waves...easy peaceful detecting with no competition that I know of...little bit of trash here and there...the spot is maybe 40 yards wide by 40 yards deep...you can get up to your chest here if you like.  The other spot is the opposite...A lot of people visit this spot as it's an actual beach on the delta....it can have a fast moving tide, gets lots of wind, big currents and waves...chest deep is too dangerous at times...theres no competition here as well but the the kicker is there are 12 bazillion bottle caps and pennies in all states of decay. It's tough hunting with the Nox at this spot...The small swimming hole I've officially declared hunted out and most likely wont be going back...No great finds to report...the small earring is 14k..the rings in the second Pic are junk (but gets the ole heart pumping anyways) the women's solitaire ring ..got me all excited till I got home and could see that it was 10K and the rock is a CZ... The wife even turned it down   Beats working any day...Happy hunting to you all..
      strick

• By mn90403
      I detect at the beach often because that is where I live. (Lately I've also been doing some surf fishing.  The yellowfin croakers taste pretty good.)  When detecting at a beach you don't know if you are going to find coins, relics or jewelry.  That leaves me to post my finds here.
      The first picture is of my finds for early (2:30 - 5:30) this morning.  We have a negative tide on a practically flat ocean.  There is very little energy so I decided to go out to the edge of the water which now has about 9 feet of change.  That exposes 75-100 yards of sand that is often times under water.  This is where people swim.  When there are waves most things will wash up but for now I went to search the flats.  I was not the first one there.  When I arrived two others were coming from the direction I wanted to go.  One searches high and the other low.  I don't know them so we just headed our own ways.  My first find was the earlobe ring/insert that looks like mother of pearl.  It is stainless.  As you can see there is not much out in this area right now and I worked it for over 3 hours. 
      About 2 hours into it I got a light signal.  I have my shovel type of scoop now because of a bad back.  When I went to dig the target I could feel resistance so I pulled back quickly and I could see something in my light.  It was the clasp to a chain so I reached down to grab it.  The clasp is the only metal part.  I kept going and going and going until I had this long necklace in my hand.  It was very stiff at first as sand was lodged in all the puka holes.  I noticed there was a figure on it but in my headlight I couldn't get too excited about it.  I've since looked and looked at it and I'm impressed with the design and workmanship.
      We can't figure out who (in a general sense) may have made it because it has coral birds, turquoise, puka and the carved bear as part of its features.  Has anyone seen anything similar?

The other pictures are from my hunt a couple of nights ago where there was then normal assortment of finds including 2.2 grams of gold chain.  It's always good to get gold!

I hope I can determine where the 'northwest looking' puka necklace came from.
      Mitchel

• By GB_Amateur
      Or maybe gold?  I don't mean to be insensitive to the plight of those in the path of Hurricane Dorian, but none of us can do anything about the weather (in the short term, anyway).  I'm wondering what the expectation is for beach hunting after the hurricane hits the shore in the coming days.  I realize its path and strength are uncertain, but the chances of it missing Florida completely seems to be small, and we all know there are many targets (modern and ancient) along the Atlantic coast.

• By mn90403
      I went out detecting this morning at a couple of local beaches I had not been at for a few months.  I ended up with just a few coins and a couple of silver rings which I have not pictured yet.  It was an enjoyable hunt for 3 hours or so.  It was a leisurely hunt and not an aerobic one for several reasons.  One reason was lack of targets.  You can hunt fast and cover lots of area to a shallow depth or you can slow down and let the coil speed catch some deeper targets.
      During the swinging I was remembering my research for the day about the high tide and the low tide and the wave size and the time of these waves relative to the tides.  I also looked at the black sand line and tried to imagine what stage of the tide/time had produced that and the thought occurred to me that my metal detector was going back in time a few hours.  When you start to think about a few hours then you have to think back longer.  (Maybe even to the last time I hunted that beach.)  On a beach maybe you can think back to the last big energy event, let's say a storm or big surfing conditions.
      When you are a relic hunter on a beach then you look at old pictures to see where there may have been an old bath house.  If you live in that town you start to look for old stores and gathering places like parks and you do research (look back in time) at what may have been lost or deposited there.  When and how something got there becomes the story.
      Sometimes you can slow down and look farther back in time on these sites or locations and that will produce more.  Other times on the beach you have to walk quickly to capture a time before it is washed away.
      Stick with me here ... haha
      When it comes to gold detecting time is still a key factor.  An active wash will have recent gold.  All placers are affected by the recent and distant past.  A placer that has been worked or pushed 100 years ago will have other 'time of deposit' factors involved.  Research and finds will determine how far back and which geological occurrences need to be targeted.  Glacial deposits and all other types of gold deposits are related to time and energy.  You get the idea.
      How far back we look in time depends on how slow we go as one great factor.  It is not the only one but in many places a greater depth can mean a more distant time.  Slowing down may also make smaller targets visible if that is what you want.  (As Jasong has pointed out, small gold and going slow is not always beneficial in paying the bills.)
      Looking back at this it all seems rather 'obvious' and I feel like deleting all of it but maybe this will trigger something in someone out there and allow you to relate to the 'time machine' concept of metal detecting.
      Now it is time to take my son to the beach.  I can see time when I look at him.
      Mitchel