Technical Detecting Forums

I was interested in exchanging info such as the noise voltage density per m^2 of out here in my location, nV/√Hz/m^2 but didn't see a appropriate category on the forum. I was wondering if anyone knows of a metal detecting forum where there might be people who design metal detectors.

These forums revolve around the use of metal detectors. The only tech forum of consequence that I know of is the Geotech website and forum. Owned and operated by Carl Moreland. He was with White’s Electronics and now is at First Texas (Bounty Hunter, Fisher, and Teknetics). Also coauthored this book:

Inside the Metal Detector explains theory and offers numerous experiments and projects that demonstrate the theory. You can build an off-resonance pinpointer, a GEB-discriminator, and a microprocessor-controlled PI detector. Even if you're not inclined to build a detector, the concepts learned from ITMD will help you better understand how your own detector works and what all those controls are really doing.

image.jpg

• Like 2

I'll check out Geotech forum. Another possibility is a forum that doesn't necessarily have much tech talk but perhaps a few detector designers who hang out there. Thanks

Many engineers and designers do not actually metal detect, so their reasons for being on a forum differ from the regular users. They hang out on many forums but rarely participate. Many watch this forum for instance, especially from Minelab. Carl and Dave Johnson from First Texas used to post on many forums, but are rarely seen these days.

Tom Dankowski is not a detector engineer per se but is a techie type and runs his own forum here. Carl pops up there occasionally.

• Like 1

I can relate lol! Perhaps my story is a different case, but I used to love to play video games until I started working for a gaming company writing game source code. I guess designing & coding video games all day can do that sometimes. Hopefully that's not the case for metal detecting. I enjoy working designing & building the metal detector, but so far I can hardly wait to hit the road headed for nature. No doubt nugget hunting is hard work but I can hardly wait. ?

• Like 1