Steve's Detector Rods: My Review

I recently installed one of Steve’s Detector Rods on my Equinox and wanted to share a few observations. When I’m particularly impressed with a product, I like to let the maker and others know my thoughts...good or bad. The first impression out of the box was very positive. The build quality of this two piece system, both material and workmanship, is absolutely excellent. The cuttings are smooth and the fittings precise. You can immediately tell Steve uses only the best materials in the overall construction. Being a scientist, his penchant for precision is obvious in everything he does.

Another very important fact about Steve—he’s a one-man-shop small businessman and an avid detectorist who knows what we need from personal detecting experience. Now for a few specifics. The locking mechanism is extremely sturdy and I really appreciate his use of an adjustment knob instead of having to hunt down or carry a screw driver in order to adjust the locking tab tension. I quickly noticed another user friendly design feature on Steve’s part. He uses easily found round washers on the lower rod where it connects to the coil ears! I don’t know about you, but I was amazed at how expensive those tear drop washers are when or if they ever need replaced. Thank you Steve!

Another unique offering of Steve’s rods is the available counterbalance weight. As many have commented on these forums, the Equinox is inherently nose heavy...particularly with the 15 inch coil. Although his shafts are extremely light in their own right, a mere 7.86 ounces of combined weight of the two shafts, the counterbalance weight makes a huge difference in the perceived weight. When you first look at this counterbalance weight you may think that it only serves to add more total weight to the Equinox...and you’re right. However, when I installed that weight on the back end of the shaft, the balance was markedly improved...balance being a key factor of perceived weight. The designed fulcrum effect makes the detector simply feel lighter and makes it much easier to manipulate. I’m sure I could swing this Equinox for hours, even without the use of a harness, and my arm would be just fine.

The stability of this set up is incomparable...and I’ve used many shafts on many detectors over many decades of metal detecting. One design aspect that may go unnoticed is that Steve’s lower shaft is 1.75” longer than the factory shaft—and he can make them longer upon request. This simple idea allows more of the lower rod to remain in the upper shaft giving it added stability even at extended lengths—not one wit of wobble with this one! An aspect I also appreciate is the elimination of the restrictive spring button adjustment system. The button only allows you to adjust the shaft to a factory predetermined series of lengths. Steve’s approach allows you to adjust the shaft to any length with which you feel comfortable.

This guy has really thought the design through and focused his efforts on all those “little things” that make a big difference. Steve offers his shafts in an array of colors. Black, Red, Blue, Green and Silver. He can also provide custom work on his shafts if that’s what you need! Who else offers that? I’m obviously impressed with this young man and his workmanship and I like to let folks know when I find an outstanding product from an outstanding producer.

One last but very important comment. I have no personal or financial interest in Steve’s Detector Rods. I never met the young man and since he lives in Norman OK, probably never will since OK is a mite far from my Florida beaches!

Specifications:

Upper Shaft Length: 34 7/8 in.

Upper Shaft Weight: 4.81 oz. (136 g)

Lower Rod Length: 26 in. (custom lengths available upon request)

Lower Rod Weight: 3.06 oz. (87g)

Material: Carbon-fiber (3K, twill pattern, glossy finish)

Cam Lock material: Injection-molded Plastic (nylon)

Threaded End Cap material: Delrin

Threaded Butt-End Insert material: Delrin

• Like 5

Dan,

Thank you for the thorough review, and the kind words!  I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts, and I'm thrilled that you are pleased with the shaft and counterweight!  I obviously think highly of the design, but more importantly, it's the impressions of the users, that matter.  I appreciate it!!

Steve

www.stevesdetectorrods.com

www.facebook.com/stevesdetectorrods

A few final thoughts that I’d like to share with the forum.

As 21st century technology continues its forward march, it’s more than apparent to me that carbon fiber is THE ONLY way to go for the ultimate in weight to strength ratio. I have tested dozens of set ups and have found no better solution to our shaft challenge than carbon fiber.

Having said that, it just isn’t the material alone that makes it the shaft of choice for me. More importantly, is the design and workmanship that transforms it from raw CF into a superior shaft. I know if I were to try and fabricate one of these, you could give me the best carbon fiber on the market and I would screw it up six ways from Sunday! The craftsman and his design make all the difference.

This where Steve’s attention to detail, exacting standards and obvious precision excel. There are other excellent CF shafts out there of similar design no doubt but in my opinion Steve’s are top of the heap for all the reasons I detailed in my review.

Another factor in Steve’s favor that I like; he’s one of us...an avid detectorist who treats everyone the way he would want to be treated.

Finally, keep in mind that his rods are not your run of the mill mass produced shafts. They’re all custom products.

Again, I have no personal or financial interest in Steve’s Detector Rods. This is simply me sharing my opinion of something and someone that I found favorably impressive.

Just the view from my foxhole...soldier on my friends.

• Like 1

Dan,

MANY, many thanks, for your additional thoughts!  I am so glad that you seem to like the design, as much as I do.  I really, really enjoy bringing a smile to a customer, and enabling them to try out something that I feel improves an already excellent machine.  I love to "problem solve," and try to "build a better mousetrap" in life, where those opportunities exist.  And when I find a solution that I think is a real improvement, I love to bring that feeling of "now THAT'S better!" to others, as well.  And from that perspective, building these shafts allows me to try and do that -- to bring an improved detecting experience to fellow Equinox users, and to hopefully take the machine "to the next level," so to speak.  At least from your perspective, it sounds like "mission accomplished!"

THANK YOU!

Steve