devilsrenegade

Couple Old Coins From A Heavily Hunted Park

Is that the Nel Tornado coil you have on it? Is it the multi frequency one? I've always wondered how that goes.

It's good to see someone using a detector that's not the Equinox to mix it up a bit 🙂

9 hours ago, devilsrenegade said:

...in high freq...

Interesting that you're using high frequency (18.75 kHz).  Did you get that coil for natural gold hunting?  Nice to have a choice of frequencies on one coil.  Existence proof that Minelab will cooperate/colaborate with the Eastern European aftermarket coil manufactuers....  Obviously 18.75 kHz does well with coins from what you show.  I have the Coiltek 15" at 3 kHz but it's a heavy beast....  Never have given it much of a chance due to its weight.  All three (frequency) 6" coils found coins for me.

Nice haul for just 45 minutes.  Bet you'll be going back!

55 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Interesting that you're using high frequency (18.75 kHz).  Did you get that coil for natural gold hunting?  Nice to have a choice of frequencies on one coil.  Existence proof that Minelab will cooperate/colaborate with the Eastern European aftermarket coil manufactuers....  Obviously 18.75 kHz does well with coins from what you show.  I have the Coiltek 15" at 3 kHz but it's a heavy beast....  Never have given it much of a chance due to its weight.  All three (frequency) 6" coils found coins for me.

Nice haul for just 45 minutes.  Bet you'll be going back!

I had it in 18.75 khz  because I was hoping for a gold coin or ring. I think the 6" dd in 18.75 khz would be a better choice for natural gold. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Is that the Nel Tornado coil you have on it? Is it the multi frequency one? I've always wondered how that goes.

It's good to see someone using a detector that's not the Equinox to mix it up a bit 🙂

it is the CORS strike coil multi freq....... same thing as NEL toronado.  I've decided to wait a year or two before getting another detector. the one thing I don't like about the new detectors is the non serviceable battery. 

Nice saves.  I’ve found that coins can be recovered at decent depth (~6 inches) depending on ground conditions with frequencies as high as 28khz

FWIW - The Equinox battery is serviceable/user replaceable with an industry standard Li-Ion cell vs. a custom design.  Should last 5+ years with proper care.  Enough time to get me to the “next big thing” should I actually hang on to the detector that long before a suitable upgraded design comes along.

• Like 1

I used my last compound bow for 17 years. Unless the "next big thing" is a quantum leap I imagine I'll be using my equinox for quite some time. 

I agree it would have to be a leap of some sort.  But comparing developments in pulleys and bow materials vs. microprocessors is perhaps not the best analogy (but I get where you are coming from).

Perhaps a more appropriate question is whether. you are using the same cell phone for the past 17 years?  :smile:

Detector tech innovation over all is likely plateauing out, with the biggest leaps coming in price drops versus technology adds.  But the pace of technology developments in signal processing is progressing at such a rate that I can see Minelab coming up in the not too distant future with a detector that has the sophisticated 2-D discrimination pattern programming and FE-CO target ID processing of the CTX with the speed of the Equinox’s Multi IQ multi frequency signal processing.  That would be one killer combo.  That would be a game changer.

• Like 2

I do more coin shooting with Tejon that is 17.5 kzh. I think you get better separation from trash than the usual lower frequencies typical of relic hunting. Do which I could hit a higher frequency but not sure how much difference it would really make. More importantly is swinging over the right spot. I think the detector choice and coil choice is less important.

Check the wooded areas where you are and look for some of the largest trees in the area. Park near me I found a few Indian Heads and Buffalo's. Also look on some old maps, there might be some areas that have grown in. I had found a really nice cross that was once a farm field and now is a ball park.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kac said:

Check the wooded areas where you are and look for some of the largest trees in the area. Park near me I found a few Indian Heads and Buffalo's. Also look on some old maps, there might be some areas that have grown in.

Where I live a lot of the parks and schools were previously occupied/used sites.  That has paid off for me not only because there is old stuff there, but also because the 'competition' looks at the date the park was established and decides it's not worth searching since there won't be anything old there.  Another thing that can happen on public properties is that the municipality backfills from reclamation projects which can be old, populated/used areas they are redoing.  There are so many ways old things (including coins) can arrive at their current resting place.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      My new T2 arrived this week so I decided I'd take it out for a test run today, I haven't bothered detecting football fields before, it never really crossed my mind to do so especially small town football fields that barely ever get used.  I think the last time I even saw people on this thing was about a year ago and they were riding a horse 🙂
      I guess back in time it was probably a popular place and my results today show this.  This is going to be more of a picture story as the pictures tell 1000 words! 
      I started using the T2 with Mars Tiger coil and within two minutes of arriving I had my first coin, then another, then another..... it was nuts, coins everywhere and very little junk, I was finding nice old coins, possibly one of my oldest in a while too

Silver 🙂

1938 British Penny

The T2 was getting good depth, easily hitting on coins with good ID's, another silver!

1948 Penny -  Now NZ currency, not British like the older Pennies, we used some British currency until 1967. 
      Prior to 1933 United Kingdom currency was the official legal tender of New Zealand, although Australian coins and notes were also generally accepted.
      The first New Zealand penny was minted in 1940. The penny ran until 1965, when New Zealand stopped minting pre-decimal coins in preparation for decimilisation in 1967.

I have no idea what this thing is

This is the football field I was detecting, under the goal posts and along the end of the field had a good collection of coins,  I guess from all the diving with the ball and coins in the players pockets, I don't know much about football, probably the only NZ male who has no clue about the game 🙂

My oldest find of the day, a British 1912 One Penny

It was quite deep down but the T2 banged on it real hard with a solid ID.  At this point I decided I'd go home and gear up better as this place obviously has a lot of good old coins.  I was only using my T2 with Carrot and Lesche digging tool which was hard work with all the coins being so deep.    I wanted a bigger coil to cover more ground but there was no way I was going to strap on the 15" Teknetics coil to continue using the T2 as it weighs a tonne.  I opted for the Equinox with it's 15" coil  and almost straight away after turning it on, another coin

1950 NZ One Penny.  I left the bit of dirt on the coil up the top it came out of, I love when you get the impression of the coin in the soil.

Another silver, 1934 Shilling

This is the hole it came from, I always recheck my holes and I'm glad I did, another target in the hole, then another... this was crazy

3 Silvers in the hole so far, 1934 Shilling, 1934 Shilling and a 1946 Sixpence, I was sure this was it but I did another check and off to the side of the hole, ANOTHER SILVER

Another 1934 Shilling, 4 silvers in one hole, incredible!   Someone had a bad day.

1964 Sixpence... the coins just kept coming, all old ones.  No longer are they made of silver in 1964...

Nice and deep though
      +++++
      My first modern coin, a $2

But look how deep it was, it was deeper than a lot of far older coins.... weird!

Another two in one hole, just one cent coins from back when NZ had one cent coins.

Another coin leaving a cool impression of itself in the soil, just a one cent I think

It sure a lot of ground to cover, I'll be at this place for weeks... plenty more coins to find I'm sure.  Time to head back to the car, with my coil to the soil.

Another for the road 🙂 Double sided impression on the soil with this one.  I couldn't possibly put up a photo of every coin find as there were just too many, all in about 3 hours detecting.

The good stuff

The bad stuff... not a bad ratio, good stuff far outweighed bad stuff, unusual for me.... I'll be back there tomorrow.... and the next day.... and the next day 🙂

• By devilsrenegade
      Took the xterra out again today for a couple hrs. only intent on shallow clad. I notched everything but 40,42, and 44 on the vdi scale and set the machine at 7.5 khz in 4 tone, threshold 12 and started at sensitivity 10. I was searching sidewalk strips and gradually turned the sensitivity up to 20. I was finding memorial cents, clad dimes and quarters and not a bit of trash. I went a couple blocks then got a solid 42 no matter which way l swept the coil. I was expecting a Canadian cent because they come up a little higher than a lincoln. I was very surprised to see a 1939 mercury dime in the hole.  A little further down the strip another solid 42 next to the sidewalk edge turned up a 54 Rosie. It was nice to have the machine quiet and not be bothered with trash for a change.  ☺

• By Againstmywill
      The large coin/token was found at a school. It is the same exact coin as the smaller one that is next to it in the picture, just bigger and a couple bundles of grain, maybe (see red arrows). The small coin is a real Chinese coin that I have at home. Question is, what is the larger one? Anyone have any ideas? A good luck charm came to mind, but I could not find any just like it. Thanks for any help.

• By Dan(NM)
      Met up with a couple of fellow hunters to hunt a WW1/WW2 dump site, it was a button feast today. Also was able to score 2 mercs, a barber and a wheat. Overall a great way to celebrate Independence Day, thanks for looking.

• By kac
      Went to one of my stomping grounds to try out my AT Pro with -5 clicks on GB and noticed the town had done some trimming revealing areas that weren't usually accessible. After an hour in just a small area I got these. The -5 on the Pro gave me more stable vdi numbers, the coins were pretty shallow <8" deep tangled in roots.
      The copper coin has so much patina on it that I can barely see a face of some sorts. Thinking of sending it out for professional cleanup.

• By Steve Herschbach
      Anybody tried it?
      Metal Detecting In The River for Treasure
      Aug 13, 2017 - Uploaded by Aquachigger Join me as I metal detect and search for treasure in the river. I find a nice Confederate artillery shell and other ...       Metal detecting a river full of silver and gold (part 1)
      Aug 13, 2016 - Uploaded by hiluxyota Went out today with Dirty Dan to a new river site , and we both left today with over 30 silver coins , gold and ...       Metal Detecting In Rivers: Tips On Finding Crossings Or Fords
      Dec 16, 2012 - Uploaded by Aquachigger A little metal detecting adventure. In it, I give out some tips on ...       Exploring an Island and Metal Detecting along the River
      Feb 21, 2017 - Uploaded by nuggetnoggin Nugget Noggin paddles out on the river to explore an island, where many people have camped out over the ...