Couple Old Coins From A Heavily Hunted Park

9 hours ago, devilsrenegade said:

...in high freq...

Interesting that you're using high frequency (18.75 kHz).  Did you get that coil for natural gold hunting?  Nice to have a choice of frequencies on one coil.  Existence proof that Minelab will cooperate/colaborate with the Eastern European aftermarket coil manufactuers....  Obviously 18.75 kHz does well with coins from what you show.  I have the Coiltek 15" at 3 kHz but it's a heavy beast....  Never have given it much of a chance due to its weight.  All three (frequency) 6" coils found coins for me.

Nice haul for just 45 minutes.  Bet you'll be going back!

55 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Interesting that you're using high frequency (18.75 kHz).  Did you get that coil for natural gold hunting?  Nice to have a choice of frequencies on one coil.  Existence proof that Minelab will cooperate/colaborate with the Eastern European aftermarket coil manufactuers....  Obviously 18.75 kHz does well with coins from what you show.  I have the Coiltek 15" at 3 kHz but it's a heavy beast....  Never have given it much of a chance due to its weight.  All three (frequency) 6" coils found coins for me.

Nice haul for just 45 minutes.  Bet you'll be going back!

I had it in 18.75 khz  because I was hoping for a gold coin or ring. I think the 6" dd in 18.75 khz would be a better choice for natural gold. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Is that the Nel Tornado coil you have on it? Is it the multi frequency one? I've always wondered how that goes.

It's good to see someone using a detector that's not the Equinox to mix it up a bit 🙂

it is the CORS strike coil multi freq....... same thing as NEL toronado.  I've decided to wait a year or two before getting another detector. the one thing I don't like about the new detectors is the non serviceable battery. 

Nice saves.  I’ve found that coins can be recovered at decent depth (~6 inches) depending on ground conditions with frequencies as high as 28khz

FWIW - The Equinox battery is serviceable/user replaceable with an industry standard Li-Ion cell vs. a custom design.  Should last 5+ years with proper care.  Enough time to get me to the “next big thing” should I actually hang on to the detector that long before a suitable upgraded design comes along.

• Like 1

I used my last compound bow for 17 years. Unless the "next big thing" is a quantum leap I imagine I'll be using my equinox for quite some time. 

I agree it would have to be a leap of some sort.  But comparing developments in pulleys and bow materials vs. microprocessors is perhaps not the best analogy (but I get where you are coming from).

Perhaps a more appropriate question is whether. you are using the same cell phone for the past 17 years?  :smile:

Detector tech innovation over all is likely plateauing out, with the biggest leaps coming in price drops versus technology adds.  But the pace of technology developments in signal processing is progressing at such a rate that I can see Minelab coming up in the not too distant future with a detector that has the sophisticated 2-D discrimination pattern programming and FE-CO target ID processing of the CTX with the speed of the Equinox’s Multi IQ multi frequency signal processing.  That would be one killer combo.  That would be a game changer.

• Like 2

I do more coin shooting with Tejon that is 17.5 kzh. I think you get better separation from trash than the usual lower frequencies typical of relic hunting. Do which I could hit a higher frequency but not sure how much difference it would really make. More importantly is swinging over the right spot. I think the detector choice and coil choice is less important.

Check the wooded areas where you are and look for some of the largest trees in the area. Park near me I found a few Indian Heads and Buffalo's. Also look on some old maps, there might be some areas that have grown in. I had found a really nice cross that was once a farm field and now is a ball park.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kac said:

Check the wooded areas where you are and look for some of the largest trees in the area. Park near me I found a few Indian Heads and Buffalo's. Also look on some old maps, there might be some areas that have grown in.

Where I live a lot of the parks and schools were previously occupied/used sites.  That has paid off for me not only because there is old stuff there, but also because the 'competition' looks at the date the park was established and decides it's not worth searching since there won't be anything old there.  Another thing that can happen on public properties is that the municipality backfills from reclamation projects which can be old, populated/used areas they are redoing.  There are so many ways old things (including coins) can arrive at their current resting place.

• Like 2

One of the parks I hit has a stadium dating back to mid-late 1800's, the original baseball field was moved and more added. Talking to one of the grounds keepers they said there is nearly 15ft of backfill on the river side. Little too deep for my detector :0.

There is stuff all over, even off the beaten path. Been doing more hunting in the woods lately and doing fairly well. I typically look at patches of trees and the diameters of the trunks as that can be a clue on the age of the area and possible clearings.