I can't help but notice over the Internet and the various metal detecting forums that I explored today there is very little current talk on many detectors, everyone seems to focus on a small few.  Maybe I'm a little bit odd (probably) but I like using multiple detectors, I like learning them and finding out the differences in performance or in a lot of cases the lack thereof. 

Today I went for a bit of a detect between the weather and my detector of choice was my Euroace (Ace350) with Nel Tornado coil, a long way from my best detector according to general consensus, however I think it's a mighty good detector and I like using it for a nice easy relaxing coin hunt, it does well at it. 

I found a bunch of coins, all modern and enough to buy a decent lunch 🙂 I doubt if I tried I could find any current discussion on the Ace detectors.  It's hard enough to find any current talk on the Fisher detectors or my beloved T2, everything I read on them is many years old even though they're still sold as current models.  It makes me question if anyone is even buying these detectors anymore or using them, everything First Texas is selling is many years old, it's mostly the same with all the US manufacturers and their range. 

I doubt the dealers on here will be wanting to disclose their sales figures or even say if they can move stock of these detectors anymore but I'd love if they would.

I have a few questions I'd like people to answer.

1) What detectors you have purchased in the past couple of years?

2) Where you happy with your purchase(s)?

3) Have you had to do a warranty claim on it, how'd that go?

4) If you had your time again would you still buy those detectors or do you regret it?

5) Do you still use any of your other detectors, if so why?

last but not least......

6) Your favourite detector of all time

Thanks 🙂

• Like 1

Thought you were going for a gold hunt today. What happened?

My favourite detector is the GPZ 7000. Hands down.👍 Of course I am talking for gold & not coin.

JW 🤠

• Like 1

Just now, kiwijw said:

Thought you were going for a gold hunt today. What happened?

I ended up not having a car 🙂 Figured I'd save it for the weekend anyway, don't want to take all the gold.

Bugger. I was hoping you would scope it out & put me on the gold. :biggrin:

JW 🤠

• Haha 1

Might take the SDC 2300 if it is going to involve detecting in water.

JW

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I have a few questions I'd like people to answer.

4) If you had your time again would you still buy those detectors or do you regret it?

last but not least......

6) Your favourite detector of all time

🙂

A.1:  started of with a ML GP extreeme (2005), then a ML GPX 4000 when they came out, then shortly after that a ML GPX 4500 times two, then a GPZ 7000 when they first came out, and recently a 2nd GPZ 7000 and somewhere in between was a SDC 2300, and also tried a Whites GMT for a short while.

A.2: Yes happy with most of them, the GPX4000 was a bit disappointing, and the GMT was good on hot rocks here in WA so it didn't last long.

A.3: No warranty claims on actual detectors, some of the ML 11" mono coils failed and were replaced under warranty, and one of the GPX4500 batteries failed and was replaced under warranty.

A.4: Yes, for the GPX 4500's and the SDC2300 and the GPZ7000's

A.5: Only kept one GPX4500 as a backup and the SDC2300 for the same reason.

A.6: Without a shadow of a doubt the GPZ7000 wins hands down, and now with the X-Coils attached it's at another level like I have never seen before, Ok I might be a bit bias on the X-Coils, but it is true, seeing is believing as they say.

cheers dave 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In order of purchase:  Garrett AT Gold, White's TDI SL SE, Minelab GPX 5000 and Gold Monster 1000.

Yes.  I got the AT Gold because I thought I would like coin and relic more and as a first detector I did not want to invest a ton of money and find out I did not like detecting.  Well I did like it and quickly found out I loved nugget shooting and prospecting so I got the TDI SL SE.  It handles mineralization so much better than VLF's and I really liked not digging so many "ghost" targets and hot rocks.  The GPX was used and a deal I could not pass up, my son uses and loves it.  This year I got the Monster and am having a blast finding lots of small gold.  

Yes, the Monster had an issue so I contacted Minelab and they took care of me.  I'm very happy with their service.

No regrets, each purchase served a purpose.  If I had known how much I was going to like prospecting/nugget shooting I might have skipped the AT Gold but it served its purpose and I don't regret getting it.

I sold the AT Gold to help fund the Gold Monster purchase so no to it but I do still use the TDI SL.  If I could pry the GPX out of my son's grasp I would use it too lol.

6) Your favourite detector of all time?

In my opinion each detector I own has an area it is better than the others in, so my favorite is the one that best fits what I need to do in that particular area.  Right now the area I'm in it is small gold in medium soil, so the Monster is getting the most use.

• Like 1

Simon - if you posted this in the detector info and comparisons forum you might get input from a more diverse base of detectorists.  From beach detectorists, to Coin shooters to relic hunters to meteorite hounds.  FWIW.

For me:

Bounty Hunter to Tek Delta to AT Pro to Deus to Excal II to ATX to T2 to F75 to MX Sport/MXT to GPX 4800 to  Equinox to ORX.    Only the Equinox and ORX was purchased in the last couple of years and some advanced coils for Deus.

Deus(ORX)/Equinox/GPX are my top 3.  Hard to choose between Deus or Equinox as fav for all time.  I keep F75 and MXT around if I need concentric coil capability or as backups for friends who tag along  and ATX backs up my GPX when it is really wet and muddy.   Everything else save for my Tek Delta which I really learned detecting on are gone.  

I only regret owning the AT Pro, MX Sport and Excal II.  The T2 was simply redundant to the F75 without concentric Coil capability.  Everything else, no regrets.

Relic hunting is number 1 for me followed by beach detecting and Coin shooting.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, phrunt said:

1) What detectors you have purchased in the past couple of years?  Makro Gold Racer, Vallon 

2) Where you happy with your purchase(s)?YES

3) Have you had to do a warranty claim on it, how'd that go?Yes, Dunked power module and Makro replaced it.

4) If you had your time again would you still buy those detectors or do you regret it? Yes, although there are current models I would prefer.

5) Do you still use any of your other detectors, if so why? NO

last but not least......

6) Your favourite detector of all time:  Gold Racer

Thanks 🙂

• Like 1

1) What detectors you have purchased in the past couple of years?  26 months ago -- Fisher F75 Black (currently 4 coils).  17 months ago -- Minelab Equinox 800 (presently all three available coils).  9 months ago -- used Tesoro Vaquero (currently 2 coils).

2) Were you happy with your purchase(s)?  Yes.  The Vaquero was a kind of nostalgia acquisition since I felt I missed out on the analog era.

3) Have you had to do a warranty claim on it, how'd that go?  None of the above three, yet.

4) If you had your time again would you still buy those detectors or do you regret it?  F75 and Eqx 800 -- no regrets.  My limited experience with the Vaquero makes me think I didn't add any capabilities to my collection (see bar at left) but it did appease my desire for the analog era detectors.  I've thought about getting a Fisher CZ or White's (many choices) vintage detector for the same nostalgic reason but combine the older tech with concentric coils (which don't seem to mesh with me) and that desire has subsided.

5) Do you still use any of your other detectors, if so why?  Eqx 800 has been my go-to IB detector with the F75 still a serious producer.  I'll request that the Fisher Gold Bug Pro go in my casket and be buried with me -- it's like the first family pet that will always be close to my heart (and it still performs).  The X-Terra 705 produced but I never really felt comfortable with it due to the iron wraparound.  The TDI-SPP is my only PI so it serves its purpose decently when an IB isn't the optimal performer.

6) Your favourite detector of all time.  Kinda varies by day, but all-around (especially ergonomics but also its depth performance and easy to navigate interface) the F75 black is hard to beat.  The Eqx 800 has lost my confidence recently (see my EMI thread) but I'm not giving up on it by a long shot.  I'm currently in major testing mode with all my detectors, with special emphasis on the Eqx 800.  I'll figure things out one way or the other.

7) What's your next detector?  TBD, but like Steve H. I'm badly wanting a lightweight, affordable, high performance PI.  If the QED becomes available and serviceable in the US it's a serious contender.  Hopefully so will the Fisher Terra Manta (if it makes it to market).  I always have my eye open for Nokta/Makro to come out with a PI that meets the above properties.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      The waterproof pulse induction field is very limited at this time. It divides into two classes. Pulse induction metal detectors that ground balance, and those that do not.
      A pulse induction (PI) detector by its nature tends to ignore mineralization, so much so that in milder conditions a PI works fine without a ground balance circuit. As I noted above however a PI is not immune to mineralization. A non-ground balancing PI detector will sound off when raised and lowered over true black sands. The more concentrated the magnetite, the more intense these signals will be. The bottom line is that on real bad black sand beaches even a basic pulse induction will sound off if the coil height is varied too rapidly over the beach. In the water with troughs and depressions false signals are all but impossible to avoid. The most extreme situations require a ground balancing pulse induction (GBPI) metal detector.
      Pure white non-magnetic coral beaches - most any detector will work well Even a hint of mineralization - a multifrequency detector has an edge over single frequency VLF where there are both saltwater and magnetic minerals. Moderate mineralization - you want multifrequency or pulse induction. Severe mineralization - at some point a ground balancing PI (GBPI) is required. The above conditions grade from one into the other seamlessly. Hot rocks are a wild card as hot rocks in a normally mild beach can cause false signals on a PI detector that lacks ground balancing capability.
      Finally, I should note that PI detectors with ground balancing capability have a crude sort of tone discrimination that can be used to advantage.

Fully submersible pulse induction metal detectors
      Here are the current mainline waterproof PI detector offerings:
      Bounty Hunter - no PI
      Garrett - Sea Hunter Mark II (PI) and ATX (GBPI)
      Fisher - Impulse AQ
      Minelab - SDC 2300 (GBPI)
      Nokta/Makro - no PI
      Teknetics - no PI
      Tesoro - Sand Shark (PI) (Discontinued)
      White's - Surfmaster Dual Field (PI) and TDI BeachHunter (GBPI)
      XP - No PI
      Finally, here are the key specifications for comparison:

Fully submersible pulse induction metal detectors

• By Steve Herschbach
      What do you think? Here are my top three contenders.
      Garrett Ace Apex $425

Minelab Vanquish 540 $369

Nokta/Makro Simplex+ $254

• By Tnsharpshooter
      Received unit today.  Will be using and comparing,  Couple videos.

• By Steve Herschbach
      Which metal detectors have the most reliable target ID numbers?
      Target ID is a function of depth - the deeper the target, the more difficult it is to get a clean target ID as the ground signal interferes. Other items directly adjacent to the desired target can also cause inaccurate numbers. The more conductive the item, the higher the resulting ID number, but also the larger the item the higher the number. Silver is more conductive than gold, so a gold item will give a lower number than the same size silver item. But a very large gold item can give a higher number than a small silver item, so numbers do not identify types of metal. Gold and aluminum read the same and vary in size so to dig one you dig the other. Only mass produced items like coins produce numbers that are more or less the same over the years but a zinc penny will read lower than a copper penny due to the change in composition.
      In general iron or ferrous targets produce negative numbers or low numbers. Aluminum, gold, and US nickels produce mid-range numbers. And most other US coins produce high numbers. Other countries coins, like Canadian coins with ferrous content, can read all over the place.
      The scale applied varies according to manufacturer so the number produced by each detector will vary according to the scale used. The 0-100 range for non-ferrous targets is most common but there are others. Minelab employs a dual number system on a 2D scale with thousands of possible numbers, but they are now normalizing the results produced to conform more closely to the linear scale used by other manufacturers.

White's Visual Discrimination Identification (VDI) Scale
      Increasing ground mineralization has a huge effect on the ability to get a good target ID. Ground mineralization is nearly always from iron mineralization, and this tends to make weak targets, whether very small targets or very deep targets, misidentify. The target numbers get dragged lower, and many non-ferrous targets will eventually be identified as iron if buried deep enough. Small non-ferrous readings and iron readings actually overlap. That is why any discrimination at all is particularly risky for gold nugget hunters.
      If you want target ID numbers to settle down, lower sensitivity and practice consistent coil control. The target number will often vary depending on how well the target is centered and how fast the coil moves. Perfect ground balance is critical to accurate target id. Outside issues factor in. Electrical interference is a common cause of jumpy target id numbers. In general small coils will often deliver sharper, more consistent target id returns.
      Higher sensitivity settings lead to jumpier numbers as the detectors become less stable at higher levels. The interference from the ground signal increases and interference from outside electrical sources also increases, leading to less stable numbers.
      Higher frequency detectors are inherently more sensitive and are jumpier. So lean lower frequency for more solid results. Multi frequency detectors act like low frequency detectors and tend to have more solid target numbers due to the ability to analyze a target with different frequencies.
      Another issue is the number of target categories, or ID segments, or VDIs, or notches, or bins (all names for the same thing) that a detector offers.
      For instance here are the number of possible target id categories or segments each detector below offers:
      Fisher CZ-3D = 7
      Garrett Ace 250 = 12
      Minelab X-Terra 305 = 12
      Minelab X-Terra 505 = 19
      Minelab X-Terra 705 = 28
      Minelab Equinox = 50
      Fisher F75 (and many other models) = 99
      White's MXT (and many other models) = 190
      Minelab CTX 3030 = 1750
      Fewer target categories means more possible items get lumped together under a single reading, but that the reading is more stable. Many detectors will tell you the difference between a dime and a quarter. The Fisher CZ assumes you want to dig both so puts them under one segment along with most other coins.
      People who use detectors with many target numbers usually just watch the numbers jump around and mentally average the results. Some high end detectors can actually do this averaging for you! But I think there is something to be said for owning a detector that simplifies things and offers less possible numbers to start with. The old Fisher CZ method still appeals to me, especially for coin detecting. So do detectors like the Garrett Ace 250 or Minelab X-Terra 505 for the same reason.
      The problem is that as people strive to dig deeper targets or smaller targets the numbers will always get less reliable. But if you want to have a quiet performing metal detecting with solid, reliable target numbers look more for coin type detectors running at lower frequencies under 10 kHz or at multiple frequencies and possibly consider getting a detector with fewer possible target segments. And with any detector no matter what just back that sensitivity setting off and you will get more reliable target numbers.
      ads by Amazon...
      Detectors often use tones to identify targets and often use far fewer tones than indicated by the possible visual target id numbers. The X-Terra 705 for instance can use 28 tones, one for each segment. However, most people find this too busy, and so simple tone schemes of two, three, or four tones may be selected. I think it is instructive that many people often end up ignoring screen readings and hunting by ear, using just a few tones. This ends up just being an ultra basic target id system much like the simpler units offer. Reality is that most people do not need or care about huge numbers of target numbers. For many just three ranges suffice, low tone for iron, mid tone for most gold items, and high tone for most US coins. The meter could do the same thing, but for marketing purposes more is better and so we get sold on detectors with hundreds of possible target ID numbers. Perhaps this is a digital representation of an old analog meter with its nearly infinite range of response but the reality is we do not need that level of differentiation to make a simple dig or no dig decision.
      Finally, a picture often says it all. Below we have a shot of the White's M6 meter. I like it because the decal below illustrates a lot. You see the possible numerical range of -95 to 95 laid out in the middle. Over it is the simplified iron/gold/silver range. Note the slants where they overlap to indicate the readings really do overlap. Then you get the probable target icons. -95 is noted as "hot rock" because many do read there.

The M6 can generate 7 tones depending on the target category. I have added red lines to the image to show where these tones sit in relation to the scale. It breaks down as follows:
      -95 = 57 Hz (Very Low) Hot Rock
      -94 to -6 = 128 Hz (Low) Iron Junk
      -5 to 7 = 145 Hz (Med Low) Gold Earrings, Chains - Foil
      8 to 26 = 182 Hz (Medium) Women's Gold Rings/Nickel - Small Pull Tabs
      27 to 49 = 259 Hz (Med Hi) Men's Gold Rings - Large Pull Tabs
      50 to 70 = 411 Hz (High) Zinc Penny/Indian Head Penny - Screw Caps
      71 to 95 = 900 Hz (Very High) Copper Penny/Dime/Quarter/Dollar
      Note that the screen reading of +14 is noted as being a nickel or ring but it can also be the "beaver tail" part of an aluminum pull tab or the aluminum ring that holds an eraser on a pencil, among other things.
      The best book ever written on the subject of discrimination is "Taking A Closer Look At Metal Detector Discrimination" by Robert C. Brockett. It is out of print but if you find a copy grab it, assuming the topic interests you.
      Always remember - when in doubt, dig it out! Your eyes are the best target ID method available.

• By sandiwilliams717
      Mr. Andy Sabisch is a great metal detectorist and a great man. He after me reaching out sent my husband a free autographed book of his and sent us his business card. My husband has been wanting a Vanquish propack since the mentioning of it being made and Mr Andy offered my husband a great deal. See some people may not know he sells metal detectors. Mr Andy and his wife at Treasure Hunting outfitters have impeccable customer service and truly great deals and Mr Andy will work with me and He's letting me make payments. My husband is going to be so stoked for his birthday present. He is so ready to get back to metal detecting. See not many people know this but metal detecting saved my husbands life he was deeply and darkly depressed and suicidal about 10 years ago. He had his left leg amputated at six in a hunting accident his leg was blown off by a 12 gauge shotgun. At 24 10 years ago. He had his right hip replacement and they told him never work again. He's been on SSI since. Gets very little money I had to work 3 jobs to pick up slack. He felt worthless, useless and he was lonely because I worked kids were always at school and after school programs. He was very close to killing himself. He saw a metal detecting video. And they told Him he could do anything like that but he fell deeply a Passionately in love and was set on fire to get out and find history and discovered a new and free and whole other part of himself in metal detecting. His pinpointer recently broke and he needed one and i mentioned the vanquish to Andy and he ran a amazing deal by me guys I couldn't refuse at all. Period. 590.00 for a pulse dive and a Vanquish 540  propack..... That's major savings and he guys go to Andy for all your metal detecting needs. If he doesn't have it which most likely does he will make sure he gets it for you and as quickly as he possibly can. So go to Andy y'all. Great person. Sales@TreasureHuntingOutfitters.com
      (734)230-1121. Oh promo going on 100.00 for pulse dive y'all. Crazy savings