Did The Second Reg Sniff Mod To My TDI Sl....

This mod has been done at the factory on all SL's made since 2015. So, only applies to earlier models (mine is 2013). It consists of removing the diodes D20, and D21, and capacitor C56. You also have to install a jumper across two of the three diode leads on D21. I'll post a pic showing what I did.
The effects of this mod are much more subtle than the sweep speed mod. Maybe a 5-8% gain in sensitivity in the air test on the 1 grain gold bar. But, still some gain, though I had to be paying attention to hear it.
This mod should not be undertaken unless you have some serious soldering skills. The components are REALLY tiny....like 1/8" wide, or maybe 3/16" at the very most. Getting the jumper in place is tough...took me 15 minutes of fooling around to get it soldered in. The mod pushed my air test distance on the 1 grainer to 3 1/4", without headphones. Might have done a bit better using the hp's. there is also a slight increase in ground noise to contend with, but nothing that really bothered me. In really ugly ground, it may be worse. We'll see. In the pic, the red triangles are where the diodes were. On D21, you can see the jumper under the lowest leg of the triangle. That jumper is 3/16" long. The straight red line, on the right, is where C56 was located.
P8050008.thumb.JPG.1b9e85fc97c121d0449d3c7bfd787a34.JPG

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

The mod pushed my air test distance on the 1 grainer to 3 1/4", without headphones.

Maybe you said in another thread -- what coil are you using for this test?

12 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Maybe you said in another thread -- what coil are you using for this test?

I should have posted that. I was using the 8 x 6 NF Sadie. But later on, I tested it using the 12"DF, which has consistently been the most sensitive coil I've used on my SL, and results were identical. I gained about 3/8" on the 1 grain gold bar. It's not alot, I know, but definitely a gain..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1