Sun Ray Pro Golds + Ml Adapter + Wm 08= Audio Magic

Leithan

After spotty performance from the included wireless headphones, I took Steve’s suggestion and picked up a pair of Sunray CTX Pro Gold head phones. I connected them to the WM08 module using the ML Nox adapter pig tail.

The difference in audio performance between the Pro Golds and wireless headphones is night and day. I had a lot of connection issues with the included wireless headphones, when they did connect, audio through them wasn’t much of an improvement over just using the speaker.

After 20yrs in the Army, my hearing sucks. I had a difficult time hearing that “disturbance in the force” pause in the threshold you sometimes get from a tiny nugget. The WM08 has worked absolutely flawlessly, instantly connects when powered on.

If you only use the WM08, I don’t think the “CTX” version of the Pro Golds are necessary as the speaker shuts off regardless of which of the three modes is selected. I am currently using the official ML adapter pig tail to connect them together, but they work equally as well with a cheap eBay adapter. I am blown away by how much more I can hear, it’s a completely new detecting experience for me.

I have used, ear buds, Grey Ghost water proof headphones, stock wireless head phones and now the Pro Golds. To my ears, and for the type of detecting I do the Pro Golds just blow everything else away. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m glad to hear it and thanks for the report. I always recommend the CTX version of the Pro Gold since they work properly on every detector I have ever tried them on, unlike most other headphones. That one feature makes them worth owning but great audio, dual volume controls, and leather muffs seal the deal. My all time favorite phones, I have two sets just in case one eventually fails.

8AB74D62-6370-46A6-BCA0-F1B96833DAA9.jpeg

Most detector headphones are wired or have a switch to work with stereo and mono detectors. Minelab however requires special wiring to insure the external speaker is shut off when headphones are used. Many aftermarket headphones fail on the Minelabs, but the special version of the Sun Ray headphones are made to work with any detector, including all the Minelabs, the Sun Ray Pro Gold CTX version.

sun-ray-pro-gold-ctx-settings-switch.jpg

Most of my detecting takes place in the AZ desert, my two biggest concerns with the headphones initially was heat and noise from the cord swinging as I stepped over terrain.

I have had issues in the past with “ear muff” style headphones amplifying every little vibration, not catastrophic, but it definitely effected my ability to pick out small changes in the audio and I always worried about it.

The Pro Golds are insulated really well and I have had zero issues with vibration noise, which brings up my next concern, heat. I have been out on two 115 + degree days so far. They get a little sweaty, but nothing as bad as I thought they would. In the end, heat was a non issue as well. The leather dries pretty quick and stays comfortable. 

1 more point On the Pro Golds or using any wired headphones with the WM08 for that matter. The headphones cable plus the pigtail adapter makes for a lot of cord. I just put the cord over my shoulder and carry the WM08 in a back pocket. 

It doesn’t snag on brush or fall in front of me when I’m digging.

i kind of wish ML had originally included the adapter cable and cheaper pair of wired headphones with the 800. The WM08 Is a lot less of a hassle then the wireless headphones. 

Now if ML would just come out with a wireless connectable pin pointer.....

• Like 1

The only “issue” I have had with the Pro Gold is the leather has a shiny coating in it. With enough use this will start to flake off over time, and the muffs look a little rougher. But mine are still original muffs, never replaced. And I have used these phones in the rain in Alaska for many days, no problem with that ever occurred. The switches are short and I’ve never had an issue with them getting flipped by accident even in dense brush. Really can’t recommend these headphones enough.

Personally I love the included wireless phones and use them pretty exclusively with my Equinox, so different folks and different ears like different things. I have a set Minelab sent with a prototype before the Minelab branding got added. I even ran over them and broke them, super glued back together, and am still using. I have a Minelab branded set but keep them for backup. Compared to the complete junk shipped with many detectors over the years Minelab did well with these I think, but that’s just my opinion.

• Like 1

I actually really like the included wireless headphones, but I have used the WM08 and earbuds about half the time. I run the earbuds underneath my shirt to the WM08 in my pocket, so nothing to snag. I also have low latency bluetooth earbuds and waterproof earbuds. I like all the easy options available with the equinox. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Leithan said:

i kind of wish ML had originally included the adapter cable and cheaper pair of wired headphones with the 800. The WM08 Is a lot less of a hassle then the wireless headphones. 

Actually, they kind of did do that.   The wireless headphones come with a patch cable such that they can be used passively (i.e., powered off) and the mini-mini patch cable connected to the headphones and the other end connected to either the detector itself (the cable is a little short though) or to the WM08 wireless receiver (no adapter cable needed).  It is kind of moot now that you have the Sunray Pro Golds, and a little odd to consider, but some have reported better sound using the WM08 with the wireless phones hooked up in "wired" mode rather than using the wireless phone's built-in BT receiver.  I like the wireless phones as is, personally.  They sound great to my ears, but everyone has different hearing, so I know not everyone is a fan.   I just applaud ML for providing the myriad of audio options they do right out of the box with the 800.

1 hour ago, Leithan said:

I have been out on two 115 + degree days so far.

Be mindful of the Equinox's upper operating temp limit (122F).  Folks have reported erratic operation and LCD faceplate "blackout" when the head unit is exposed to direct sunlight at similar elevated ambient air temps.   The control head can quickly exceed that 5F delta in direct sunlight (especially when usung a black protective head cover that limits air flow/ventilation) and might need a little powered down shade and water to prevent an Equinox version of heat stroke.  😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, midalake said:

My older version Pro Golds, will not work correctly on the NOX with the WM08.  Also anyone reading, do not expect good results if you keep the WM08 on the back of a hat. That module needs to be line of sight.

Dave 

No, they won’t nor will many other detector headphones. That’s why I recommend the CTX version of the Pro Gold... it’s why they make them, to work on Minelab detectors where the older version did not. Thanks for the note I guess maybe I was not clear on that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

No, they won’t nor will many other detector headphones. That’s why I recommend the CTX version of the Pro Gold... it’s why they make them, to work on Minelab detectors where the older version did not. Thanks for the note I guess maybe I was not clear on that.

No you were clear, but if your an old goat like me and had Sun Rays before the 3030 was even a rough drawing on a napkin.....well you have what you have...…..

Dave

• Haha 1