Sign in to follow this  
Stephen wescott

Metal Detectors

Posted (edited)

I am new to metal detecting.  I just want an easy to use gold detector.  I am torn with one to get gm1000. Or ? Desert. And $800.00 and rivers in summer." I want to thanks all of you for your support.  " I am going to get gm1000. Thanks again

Edited by Stephen wescott
update
  • Like 2

Hey Stephen,  might mention where you live or plan to hunt. That can make a difference in what works best. Also a budget range, as they go from about $500 to $7000.

If it is specifically nugget detecting you are planning, you won’t find a better guide to different detectors than Steve’s. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Northeast said:

If it is specifically nugget detecting you are planning, you won’t find a better guide to different detectors than Steve’s. 

This right here.   Unbiased reviews...

You mention desert and rivers, so although the GM 1000 is excellent and you couldn't get easier to use it's not waterproof.  I'd go with an Equinox 800 if you're looking for a VLF (cheaper than PI) and being your first detector you likely are.  The Nox 800 is great for gold and at least you can use it for everything. 

Steve's guide is fantastic.  I've heavily relied on it in my time and you can rest assured his guide is unbiased, his views come from usage/experience.

You can also go to the detector database and see other users reviews

https://www.detectorprospector.com/metal-detector-database/

• Like 1

Yep, I would agree with the equinox 800 and a 6 inch coil. You can find more information on it than you ever want to know here 

And info on nugget hunting with it here

• Thanks 1

I would say you need to be more gold specific.  Are you looking for gold jewelry or gold nuggets?  If going for nuggets, while there are detectors that do both, I would stick with a detector that is tuned to JUST look for nuggets.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andyy said:

that is tuned to JUST look for nuggets.

Andyy;

I presume you mean made for nugget hunting, not tuned; which implies something not possible, as far as I know.

fred

Well I am assuming people know what I mean by tuned, but maybe not.   I mean the electronics are designed and set to detect gold (not relics).  Or maybe a clearer statement would be that if you are looking nuggets, don't get a relic hunting detector and try to use it to do both.  You can and people do, I just don't recommend it.  Just a personal opinion I have.

I don't think Stephen clarified, yet, what he was actually hunting for ... nuggets or rings ...etc. :smile:

• Like 1

It would be interesting to hear from someone who lots of experience with both how much difference there is on nugget hunting between the equinox and the gold monster. I've seen people say they both work well, but haven't seen direct comparisons, depth differences,  reactions to mineralization, etc.

I got the equinox because it seems to be good enough at everything I want or might want to do with it. It would be interesting to know how much I would gain going to a same priced "gold only" machine though. You make it sound like a lot Andyy.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Glenn in CO
      Wasn't found with a metal detector, very nice quartz and gold specimen found in a placer mine in the Huachuca mountains of Arizona. 

• By garikfox
      Hello everyone. I'm new here and have been studying about this new hobby for a month or so. Yesterday i ordered/received my first ever detector the Equinox 800 and added the 6 in. coil. (i'm targeting Gold)
      I've lived in AZ all my life and currently live in Queen Creek. I'm looking to make my first hunt near Hayden, AZ, 75 miles SE of my home location.
      I also joined a prospecting club, The Roadrunner's Prospector's Club. My first hunt site will be on a RRPC claim.
      RRPC has 31 claims in this area. Below is a aerial view of what their claim areas look like. I'm hoping to head out there in a few weeks, It's going to be HOT!

• By Andyy
      So I titled this as such because when it gets especially hot (here in Arizona) I start my hunts at midnight and go thru until the morning until about 8am.  For me, this offers multiple benefits.  There is more time with the family on weekends, which for me is #1; I cherish this more than gold.  And secondly, if it is hot out, I cannot keep my ground balanced, as some put it.  When it starts getting hot, I would tend not to look as hard and rush through areas. 

Anyways, back to the gold.  I was in a wash last week when I ran into some pretty good gold.   I found 11 small pcs adding up to almost 4 grams.  Now, for my night hunts, I won’t go every weekend, I usually skip 1 or two so that I get my sleep cycle working again.  But then there is Mother’s Day coming up and so my wife briefly mentioned that I should go this weekend, too.  An hour later I am charging batteries.  She walks by and says, “wow, you really have the fever don’t you”.   I just laughed.    She knows me.  She has seen me prospecting for 5 years and put up with it for 5 years.  One of the best decisions I made was marrying her.  I explain all of this because it was nice to come home and show her the source of the fever. 

So I went back to this area with my GPZ and started walking through more washes I had marked out on my gps.  Nothing for the first one, but the second one, I got a nice strangely shaped 2.75 grammer.  Now, I can kinda see a patten on my gps when I look at my finds.  I finish the wash and go to a wash that is in the direction of the gold distribution.  Good topography … I am in.  First couple of minutes of slow hunting in this wash yields, nothing.  And then I start focusing on a bench that is maybe a foot higher than the rest of the wash… and I get a signal.  A clear, still loud, but smooth signal.  My heart jumps as I begin to dig.  The dirt just fell away until 15-16” I hit gravel.  By now the target was booming.  I scrape the gavel back with my pick and I see a large piece of gold flip out!  It replays in my mind over and over.  Needless to say, you may have heard my scream at 2:15 in the morning (Arizona time).  LOL.

From there the gold kept coming.   I got a couple more pieces farther up the wash and then came back and placered the area for a couple more little ones missed by depth.  Wide range of sizes.  THAT is why I love the GPZ.    And it was nice to see my wifes face change to a smile when she felt the .86oz chunk fall into her hand.  Priceless.  All in all, my findings came to just over 1oz.  Who needs sleep ...

Andyy

• By jeepfreak86
      Just got a metal detector would like to get out in the area and detect around. Although I have an idea where to go would be nice to have others to go with. I anyone in there area would like to go shoot me and email. I do live locally so when and where will never be and issue.
    • By OFS
      It looks like I may have to travel down to Casa Grande, AZ for a week at the end of the month to bring my Mom home to Canada and was wondering if there was anybody in the area that might be up for taking a Canadian prospecting tourist out for some dry washing or metal detecting?
      Thanks in advance.
      Shane 
    • By idahogold
      And You Thought Gold is Heavy? Wow Monster Pieces ? Enjoy! Ig