Hey Stephen,  might mention where you live or plan to hunt. That can make a difference in what works best. Also a budget range, as they go from about $500 to $7000.

If it is specifically nugget detecting you are planning, you won’t find a better guide to different detectors than Steve’s. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Northeast said:

If it is specifically nugget detecting you are planning, you won’t find a better guide to different detectors than Steve’s. 

This right here.   Unbiased reviews...

Yep, I would agree with the equinox 800 and a 6 inch coil. You can find more information on it than you ever want to know here 

And info on nugget hunting with it here

• Thanks 1

I would say you need to be more gold specific.  Are you looking for gold jewelry or gold nuggets?  If going for nuggets, while there are detectors that do both, I would stick with a detector that is tuned to JUST look for nuggets.

• Like 1

Well I am assuming people know what I mean by tuned, but maybe not.   I mean the electronics are designed and set to detect gold (not relics).  Or maybe a clearer statement would be that if you are looking nuggets, don't get a relic hunting detector and try to use it to do both.  You can and people do, I just don't recommend it.  Just a personal opinion I have.

I don't think Stephen clarified, yet, what he was actually hunting for ... nuggets or rings ...etc. :smile:

• Like 1

It would be interesting to hear from someone who lots of experience with both how much difference there is on nugget hunting between the equinox and the gold monster. I've seen people say they both work well, but haven't seen direct comparisons, depth differences,  reactions to mineralization, etc.

I got the equinox because it seems to be good enough at everything I want or might want to do with it. It would be interesting to know how much I would gain going to a same priced "gold only" machine though. You make it sound like a lot Andyy.

14 hours ago, Andyy said:

If going for nuggets, while there are detectors that do both, I would stick with a detector that is tuned to JUST look for nuggets.

This used to be the conventional wisdom.  The Minelab Equinox  800 (and maybe even the Makro Gold Racer and its offspring) has changed that.

1 hour ago, Lacky said:

It would be interesting to hear from someone who lots of experience with both how much difference there is on nugget hunting between the equinox and the gold monster.

Steve H has said quite a bit.  He's (multiple times) said that choosing between detectors that operate at 40 kHz and above, as far as ability to find small gold, is splitting hairs.  He's also said that for now he's just using one detector, the Minelab Equinox 800.

If someone were absolutely sure they were only looking for small natural gold then the GM 1000 costs $100 less than the Eqx 800.  But if saving money is important, the Makro Gold Kruzer (in the US, anyway) is $160 less than the GM 1000.

For that extra $ the Equinox 800 opens up another world of detecting, relatively speaking.

• Like 1