White's DFX Spectrum

rled2005

What is White's DFX Spectrum worth these days? Is it worth the effort to learn? Does it have a place with today's detectors?

whites-dfx-spectrum-metal-detector.jpg

Personally I really liked the DFX and it still is a decent detector, but not as “hot” as the modern crop of machines. The plus side is that means it is well behaved, and the target id system is still superior to most machines even by today’s standards. I always was a SignaGraph fan and still am.

I own a White’s detector still for the sole purpose of running my Bigfoot coil. The coil was specifically designed for the DFX and runs best with it. I currently have the coil mounted on a V3i, but there are times I want to go back to the DFX as it was a smoother operator in the ground and EMI here in Reno. The V3i is chatty by comparison.

You should be able to get a good condition DFX for under $400.

• Like 2

I just saw one, was just wondering about it. Not sure what I would do with it, or what it is good for, for me, I.e.

See the link I added to my post above. Bottom line good general purpose machine, very good modern park and beach machine for coins and especially jewelry. Weakest area is nugget detecting... don’t bother. The unit is always locked into dual frequency saltwater mode and it’s “single frequency” modes are achieved by ignoring half the signal, making them weaker than the V3i in that respect, which has true single frequency modes in addition to the multifrequency mode. That’s all fine except when chasing small gold nuggets or micro jewelry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Herschbach said:

See the link I added to my post above. Bottom line good general purpose machine, very good modern park and beach machine for coins and especially jewelry. Weakest area is nugget detecting... don’t bother.

That’s what I was kinda thinking. Thanks!

I still own and occasionally use my old faithful DFX,it was one of the 1st batch into the UK back in 2002,its found me some of my nicest finds,not necessary a deep machine as such but had a certain biased towards gold coinage especially when using the 10x6 coil or my all time DFX coil the 12'' Hotshot coil,amazing combination and the coil is ultra lightweight because its foam filled but of course would be no good in the surf as the coil tends to want too float.

Only reason i still keep it though is that although i have used it for many 1000s of enjoyable detecting its still in remarkable good condition,would only get peanuts for it if i sold it anyway.So it stays in my detecting arsenal but still occasionally comes out too play.

Like yourself i do also own a Equinox but because more modern and lighter machines have come out ie my Nox and Deus and T2 etc these 3 machines are far superior performance wise and also so much lighter than the DFX.I am away on a charity rally dig this coming sunday and may take the old DFX with me with the Hotshot coil on and blow the cobwebs off the detector.

• Like 2