It would be a shame to see the old girl go, for those of us in mild soils the 5000 is not worth the upgrade.  They should keep it alive and kicking if you ask me and lower it's price to tackle other cheaper PI's on the market, move the 5000 down to the 4500 price.... the GPZ could take the 5000's place in pricing ready for the next latest and greatest thing at the kidney price level.  I live in fantasy land I guess. 🙂

• Like 2

At the Diggin' in Virginia hunts Debbie S. from ML is usually in attendance and they raffle off a ML donated GPX.  This last time around in November, they made it a point to mention that this would be the last GPX 4500 raffled off at DIV as the model was discontnued.  I guess it will be a 5000 next time and the raffle chance ticket prices will also likely go up.  

• 8 months later...
On 12/24/2019 at 1:09 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

This is the longest discontinuation I have ever seen.

Well, although still listed on the Minelab website, most legitimate dealers are showing the GPX 4500 as out of stock. There are many still for sale, but I have to think the odds are high they are counterfeit at this point unless being sold by a very trustworthy source. Buyer beware.

How To Verify A Minelab Is Genuine

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      https://codan.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/FINAL-INVESTOR-PRESENTATION-20-Aug-20.pdf
      Metal detector sales up 30% (Recreational 11%, Gold Prospecting 42%) -

Africa is the largest market by far (due to gold prospecting detectors) -

New gold prospecting model coming GPX 6000 -

X-Terra and Safari discontinued -

Thirty million invested in Engineering / R&D. No wonder the competition can't keep up! I found it interesting that even with the new Vanquish and Equinox, sales growth is heavily weighted to the gold prospecting models, illustrating the relative size of the markets. The big money is in gold prospecting detectors, as further evidenced by sales in Africa in particular. And although a new GPX model is specifically indicated, there is no such hint about a new coin detector release soon.
      FY21 OUTLOOK
      Well positioned for FY21:
      • Strong start to the year and in line with FY20
      • Demand for our metal detection products remains strong
      • Minelab will benefit from a full year of Vanquish® sales and the release of a new gold detector
      • Current travel restrictions may impact Tactical Communications business development
      • Minetec is expected to return to profitability
      • Strong balance sheet allows us to explore strategic opportunities
      Business update at virtual AGM on 28th October 2020
    • By Rod K
      What would be a Fair price for a nice GPX 4000 with control box cover, signal enhancer, 3 of the small batteries for use with enhancer and a charger, and 3 coils, a new 10" Commander DD, a 7"x14" Nugget finder mono, and a 6"x8" nugget finder mono? Thanks for any replies and info.
    • By aufarmer
      Outside of other risks, if a person purchased an unopened, never registered Minelab detector from a unauthorized dealer/party, say a pawn shop.  Would Minelab cover warranty service without a receipt from an authorized dealer?
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Come to find that forum member Mike Haer has a weekly podcast each Monday that I have been generally oblivious to though I think I linked to it in the past on a given subject. Anyway, Mike had another new forum member, George Kinsey, on last week and the forum was mentioned. Many hours of listening available there from past shows so check it out. And thanks for the mention guys!!
      https://www.spreaker.com/show/all-metal-modes-show
      Mike’s Website
    • By MineBlab
      What is a GPX 4000 in good shape with 3 coils and other extras worth (no warrantee)?
    • By Ramis bozo
      Herkese merhaba. Şu anda minelab gpx 5000 kullanıyorum, ancak gpz 7000e'yi değiştirmek istiyorum ama nugget Hayır.Biz şimdi sadece sana sormak istediğim Bizans ve Roma parası var gpz 7000 Doğru seçim miydi?
      "Hello to everyone. I am using minelab gpx 5000, but I want to change gpz 7000e, but nugget no. We just want to ask you now have Byzantine and Roman money gpz 7000 Was it the right choice?"