Maiden Voyage: Steve's Detector Rod And Quest Aptx Ll Headphones

ColonelDan

Took my new set up to the beach for a few hours for their first trial run as a “team.”

Steve’s Detector Rod.

This two piece shaft was the best I’ve ever used...bar none. It was solid as a rock, as in no wobble whatsoever, and light as anything I’ve ever used. With the counter balance weight, it was better than swinging my old Deus with a 9” coil. Steve weighted mine using 16 oz of lead shot in a 4.5” long cylinder. He set it up that way so swinging the 11” coil would emulate swinging his 7 oz shaft with a 6” coil installed! It works exactly as intended and designed. Bottom line, I couldn’t be more pleased. This will be my shaft of choice for the very very long term.

You can read my original review of Steve’s work at the link below:

Quest APTX-LL Wireless Headphones

Initial thoughts:

My order only took two days to arrive from Hong Kong!

Extremely comfortable over the ear design. External build quality looks good. They paired up with my EQX exactly like the Minelab wireless even to the point of using the same tones as the Minelab. Low latency capability is certainly there. I ran them in my test garden using good targets surrounded by iron and they performed extremely well. Nice and clear crisp sound with sufficient volume. Haven’t yet had to use the volume control.

Haven’t been able to test battery life yet so that’s TBD.

So far, I’m favorably impressed. I’ll take them to the beach on Monday and report back.

Additional points:

~ These headphones are easily adjusted for proper fit and the top head piece is extremely well padded and comfortable.

~ They are water/rain resistant. Not designed for diving...and resistance to water damage is all I really wanted. No blue tooth wireless headphones can be used when submerged...at least none that I know of.

Fast forward to their first beach run. We finally have a set of Aptx low latency water resistant headphones made specifically for the Equinox!

These headphones again linked right up with no issue. They were indeed low latency and I was able to pin point with ease. The sound was clear and crisp as I stated above and their over the ear design served to block out much of the ambient beach noise. They proved very comfortable after 3+ hours of detecting and simply worked flawlessly. I love being “untethered” and confident that when one of our Florida showers come up, I won’t have to worry about these getting wet. Again, they are water resistant not water proof.

They are advertised as having a 24 hour battery life so I’ll not be able to comment on that since my hunts are never that long!

One thing I took note of was, as is true with most or all wireless set ups, every now and then I would hear just a hint of static interference but it was barely noticeable and very rare. I attributed this to EMI since we were very close to Patrick Air Force Base and its Officer’s Club Beach. I’ve experienced such EMI there before.

Bottom Line: I like these headphones very much and you can find them at the link shown below.

https://www.questmetaldetectors.com/product-page/aptx-low-latency-bluetooth-wireless-headphones-for-minelab-equinox

I now have what I believe is the best set up for my style of beach hunting. The Equinox, Steve’s rod and Quest wireless Hps.

Soldier on...

• Like 5

THANKS, Dan, for the additional feedback.  I'm thrilled that you are as pleased, after your first "in-the-field" use of the shaft and counterweight, as you were initially!

Thank you!

Steve

www.stevesdetectorrods.com

www.facebook.com/stevesdetectorrods