Hello From New York

Joe L

Upstate NY, Albany area. I have been detecting for years, relic mostly. (my Interest)

Been doing a lot of reading on prospecting with a detector, panning, mining lately. I would love to look for those tiny nuggets with my detector and even though I live in NYS, I just may. It's the hunt that counts, right....

Anyway,  I can keep on reading and dreaming.  GREAT pages here and glad to be a part.  Thanks

PS, having a hard time to get my wife to agree to retire in Arizona, she's a mid Atlantic coast kinda girl. Oh well.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum Joe L!

New York is definitely not known from having much gold even for people panning, so finding a natural gold nugget there is pretty slim.  But some of the states to the Northeast of New York, mainly New Hampshire and Maine have had some pretty good gold finds.  That being said most of the finds i have seen have been by people using dredges, but thats not to say with lots of research and prospecting that detectable gold nuggets couldnt be found.  

Also the Mid-Atlantic states such as Virginia the Carolinas and Georgia all have a great history of gold being found.  And i have found a number of areas in VA that have produced detectable nuggets.  With that being said the east coast is much harder to hunt for gold nuggets when compared to the western US.  This is due to 1. simply less gold being in the eastern states, 2. most all the old gold mines are on private property and require land owner permission to prospect or metal detect.  But it can be done.  

Below are some pictures of gold found in VA with the gold monster 1000, which the Equinox can pretty much detect pieces of gold just as small.  

Best of luck on your search, and welcome to the addiction.  

20190505_143543.jpg

20190508_200441.jpg

20190804_130206.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome, Joe!.  Being from such an historically important location I can see why relics has been a key search target.  I assume you've found some very old coins in the mix.  Hope you make it to gold-rich Arizona, if not permanently at least for some long (vacation) hunts.

Thanks for the welcome's.

Yes, A great area for relics. Fields I search, (my permission's) OLD farm still in use doesn't turn over much coin, (not sure of the wealth of the farm workers way back) but musket balls, allot of buttons, and personnel stuff.

Welcome aboard Joe. Good luck getting down to AZ when you can. The heat can be ridiculously hot and unbearable unless you’re near a river to swim in but the landscape can look unbelievable especially around the lake Havasu area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeachHunter said:

Welcome aboard Joe. Good luck getting down to AZ when you can. The heat can be ridiculously hot and unbearable unless you’re near a river to swim in but the landscape can look unbelievable especially around the lake Havasu area.

Gonna try my best. Thanks 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1